The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 960
Where should I consider if I dont get 700 + ?
salmon24l
Where should I consider if I dont get 700 + ?

You don't need 700+ for anywhere, do you? :s-smilie:
colabottles
Hmm, anyone know which unis scrutinize AS results? I know I haven't done too brilliantly in them but I'm going to resit. :smile: Check my sig to see where I'm hoping to apply! Will those be okay?

UCL want very good AS results.
Reply 963
PinkLeopard
Yeah, i want to apply to leeds on the widening access scheme, and Bristol is my hopeful choice but i dont reckon i'll get an offer... got to try though i think.
If i didnt do well on my ukcat, i was thinking of changing newcastle to southampton, and manchester to another uni that isnt mad on the ukcat - any ideas which would be a good choice (preferably city based??)
Thank you :smile: Xx

If I was you I would definitely NOT apply to southampton. They have changed their admissions procedures for 2011 and now rely very heavily on the UKCAT. Once they get all applications, they eliminate the bottom third of UKCAT scores before even looking at personal statements, references etc and then if 2 candidates have borderline scores they again look closely at the individual subsections. To be realistic you need to get a UKCAT score over 650 to avoid being eliminated before secondary screening. Instead I would choose somewhere like liverpool, bristol, uea, keele, hyms, cardiff which are unis that are not too fussed about the UKCAT
Reply 964
Jenna&Sierra.
GCSEs= 3A*s, 8A's (2 on short so might be 6 A's) 1 B :s-smilie:
ukcat= 600 average and 540 lowest :eek3:

Imperial
Southampton
St George's
Liverpool

Are these good/bad choices :s-smilie:
Thankyou :smile:Xx

I would advise you to seriously reconsider your choices based on your UKCAT. Read my above post for southampton and maybe consider changing your choices to include 1/2 of those unis
Reply 965
dilipd
If I was you I would definitely NOT apply to southampton. They have changed their admissions procedures for 2011 and now rely very heavily on the UKCAT. Once they get all applications, they eliminate the bottom third of UKCAT scores before even looking at personal statements, references etc and then if 2 candidates have borderline scores they again look closely at the individual subsections. To be realistic you need to get a UKCAT score over 650 to avoid being eliminated before secondary screening. Instead I would choose somewhere like liverpool, bristol, uea, keele, hyms, cardiff which are unis that are not too fussed about the UKCAT

I'm sure your right but where do you all get this new information about their new 2011 admissions policies? I can't seem to find it on their website or on their prospectus.
Reply 966
sc0307
I'm sure your right but where do you all get this new information about their new 2011 admissions policies? I can't seem to find it on their website or on their prospectus.

it should be in the medical school brochure under the use of ukcat part. i know the information because my girlfriend who is a final year medic there helps out with admissions to the programmes. if you go on the open days they will also mention it there aswell. if you still cant find it, ring admissions up but i wouldn't suggest doing it this week- they'll be busy with confirmation
dilipd
I would advise you to seriously reconsider your choices based on your UKCAT. Read my above post for southampton and maybe consider changing your choices to include 1/2 of those unis

Ok, so would this be a better option?

Imperial
Keele
St George's
Liverpool

???

I thought Southampton weren't too fussy about the UKCAT :frown: Oh well.

And do you know if Imperial scrutinises GCSEs because I don't think mine are very strong?
Thankyou :smile:
Reply 968
TooSexyForMyStethoscope
Have fun doing biomed.

Oh my God, you're back! thought you were considering being fair but gentle! You do make me smile tho
Reply 969
Jenna&Sierra.
Ok, so would this be a better option?

Imperial
Keele
St George's
Liverpool

???

I thought Southampton weren't too fussy about the UKCAT :frown: Oh well.

And do you know if Imperial scrutinises GCSEs because I don't think mine are very strong?
Thankyou :smile:

i think liverpool and keele are good choices. the tactic i would use is to go for 1 high risk choice, 2 middle risk choices and 1 low risk choice - although some people disagree with me i think this is best. to get in you have to be tactical. imperial are likely to scrutinise GCSEs (even if it is not mentioned in their literature) because of the level of competition your application faces. St Georges have very heavy competition after interview. You need to examine your application strengths and find the med schools you fit with

southampton were not fussy in 2008,2009 and 2010 but that was because they were keeping a close eye on the ukcat and how they should use it after they deemed it unreliable at the start of the 2008 cycle.
hey there guys
im looking for some advice on what i should do concerning next year.
i got 7 a*'s at gcse and im currently goin to start year 13, studying maths,chemistry and biology at a2.
ive only just recently started filling out my ucas online and it seems very bland :frown: i dont know what to write on the personal statement and i also dont have any work experience. do i have a realistic chance of being accepted for medicine since im also worried about the new a* grade :frown:

also my biggest worry is quite an embarrassing one to be honest... ive always like science and especially biology and chemistry, medicine really does look exciting as its changing all the time... so in terms of the theory i love it... but here comes the problem. im not too keen on the practical side of things. recently i felt sick and almost fainted during a heard dissection which i was doing. this is really frustrating especially since i honestly dont mind watching gory videos, dissections and operations on tv. its just that when i did it for myself.. i couldn't stand it... im thinking its something to do with the fact that im not to keen on seeing live blood but im not sure.... i really want to pursue medicine but will i get over this ?? will i get used to the dissections etc..involved ?

thanks in advance for your help
You wouldn't be the first to feel funny at your first dissection, I'm sure I've heard of medical students doing it (and doctors who've passed out having had their blood taken!)

You learn to deal with things like that.. what work experience do you have? x
Reply 972
I got two offers with one day in a GP surgery, so your lack of experience won't hold you back if you show the admission tutors enough to think you are ready to be a medic.

From what I've been told, there are loads of new med students who faint in their first dissection or whatever, unless you have a serious phobia, you should be okay.
rainbowbex
You wouldn't be the first to feel funny at your first dissection, I'm sure I've heard of medical students doing it (and doctors who've passed out having had their blood taken!)

You learn to deal with things like that.. what work experience do you have? x

here in the uk i havent been able to find any watsoever :frown: every medical related area is full and they dont accept volunteers. the only work exp i ever got was helping my aunt out in her clinic in yemen. but that was 2 years ago ! :mad:
Reply 974
Being squeamish shouldn't stop you from applying to medicine. You've still got about three weeks of Summer left so get out and find yourself some work experience. Apply for placements at hospitals and you can mention, in your PS, that you intend to carry out work experience there. Don't use the excuse that you can't get any. You can get enough work experience and you don't need any doctors in the family to get some experience. It took me ages to get my work experience.

The new A* grade means **** all, unless you're applying to Cambridge. A prediction of 3As is more than fine for most med schools, I believe. :h:

You've left it a bit late, but you still have time to make up for it. :top:
taken4granted
here in the uk i havent been able to find any watsoever :frown: every medical related area is full and they dont accept volunteers. the only work exp i ever got was helping my aunt out in her clinic in yemen. but that was 2 years ago ! :mad:

Uni's understand that, so from what I remember will accept other types of volunteer work.. like guides etc?

I'm not sure how important it really is tbh :/
admflx
I got two offers with one day in a GP surgery, so your lack of experience won't hold you back if you show the admission tutors enough to think you are ready to be a medic.

From what I've been told, there are loads of new med students who faint in their first dissection or whatever, unless you have a serious phobia, you should be okay.

no its not a serious phobia thankfully but its just that time flies quick and ive got an empty page under work experience ! applications have to be in by the 15 of October so im really gonna have to go full out to find some kinda work exp fast :frown:
I did no work experience and got nowhere. Seriously get some before you apply...it's suicide doing it without any!!!
I've been pondering over this scenario for about an hour and it's making me more and more worked up so I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice to help suade me in one direction or another..

My last option is either St George's or UEA.
I initially chose St George's because of the interview with 8 A's thing, but now because apparently it gets tougher after interview, and my UKCAT score of 600 is bad, I don't know what my chances are here.

I thought about UEA because of less emphasis placed on UKCAT scores.

My GCSEs are 3A*s, 8A's - 2 short course so could be 6 and 1 B
ukcat AV. = 600. Lowest = 540

Please help me to decide! I'm so stuck. The ultimate deciding factor between the two is which would I have the highest chance with??

Narik
Being squeamish shouldn't stop you from applying to medicine. You've still got about three weeks of Summer left so get out and find yourself some work experience. Apply for placements at hospitals and you can mention, in your PS, that you intend to carry out work experience there. Don't use the excuse that you can't get any. You can get enough work experience and you don't need any doctors in the family to get some experience. It took me ages to get my work experience.

The new A* grade means **** all, unless you're applying to Cambridge. A prediction of 3As is more than fine for most med schools, I believe. :h:

You've left it a bit late, but you still have time to make up for it. :top:

thanks for the encouragement !

Latest

Trending

Trending