The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 980
taken4granted
no its not a serious phobia thankfully but its just that time flies quick and ive got an empty page under work experience ! applications have to be in by the 15 of October so im really gonna have to go full out to find some kinda work exp fast :frown:

You don't have to jam it all in before your application, stick it in your personal statement as an intention, then as long as you do some work experience by interview time, you can talk about it.
taken4granted
here in the uk i havent been able to find any watsoever :frown: every medical related area is full and they dont accept volunteers. the only work exp i ever got was helping my aunt out in her clinic in yemen. but that was 2 years ago ! :mad:

regarding work experience, remember in your personal statement you don't have to say when you did it or for how long for, make it seem better than it was with the words you use while still being truthful. It's all about reflection, say what you learnt from it and how it helped you. I found it hard to get medical work experience to but universities acknowledge how hard it is (many comment on it on their website) so volunteering in care homes/charity shops is fine. Many even prefer you to help out at a residential/care home to hospital work because it is more practical.
admflx
You don't have to jam it all in before your application, stick it in your personal statement as an intention, then as long as you do some work experience by interview time, you can talk about it.

excellent advice
Reply 983
hey_its_nay
regarding work experience, remember in your personal statement you don't have to say when you did it or for how long for, make it seem better than it was with the words you use while still being truthful. It's all about reflection, say what you learnt from it and how it helped you. I found it hard to get medical work experience to but universities acknowledge how hard it is (many comment on it on their website) so volunteering in care homes/charity shops is fine. Many even prefer you to help out at a residential/care home to hospital work because it is more practical.

As stated here, they want to know how the experience influenced you, rather than what the experience was.

In interview I actually discussed why I wanted to work at a homeless shelter I never got into, I had no actual experience but a clear intention and understanding.
Reply 984
taken4granted
hey there guys
im looking for some advice on what i should do concerning next year.
i got 7 a*'s at gcse and im currently goin to start year 13, studying maths,chemistry and biology at a2.
ive only just recently started filling out my ucas online and it seems very bland :frown: i dont know what to write on the personal statement and i also dont have any work experience. do i have a realistic chance of being accepted for medicine since im also worried about the new a* grade :frown:

also my biggest worry is quite an embarrassing one to be honest... ive always like science and especially biology and chemistry, medicine really does look exciting as its changing all the time... so in terms of the theory i love it... but here comes the problem. im not too keen on the practical side of things. recently i felt sick and almost fainted during a heard dissection which i was doing. this is really frustrating especially since i honestly dont mind watching gory videos, dissections and operations on tv. its just that when i did it for myself.. i couldn't stand it... im thinking its something to do with the fact that im not to keen on seeing live blood but im not sure.... i really want to pursue medicine but will i get over this ?? will i get used to the dissections etc..involved ?

thanks in advance for your help

There is irony in your username.

I would advise you to try and tell everyone you know and their dog that you want to do Medicine (don't be arrogant about it though) as chances are they know someone that is a nurse, doctor or even a receptionist in a GP practice/hospital. Chances are somebody knows something, I got into a GP practice because my History teacher's uncle was a GP there.

Also, do general care and community work! Or at least say you do.

Finally do some volunteering with charities or hospitals...do anything just so you have something to talk about. I mean clean toilets if you need to!

A lot of people struggle to find Work Experience, but keep trying and you'll get a lucky break. I mean I have got quite a bit so far just by talking to people who'll help me and link me up...basically just kiss ass!
Reply 985
After time I should imagine one would get used to dissections etc., I'm quite apprehensive about seeing them but I'm sure I'll get used to it, as I'm sure you would. It'd be worth getting some work experience but med schools do appreciate it is difficult. Even something like volunteering at an elderly persons home would be beneficial. Keep re-writing that personal statement until it's perfect and you'll have as good a chance as the next person!
IndiePixie
Have you got hold of Griffiths Gamsat Review? I think that is the handiest document download ever. It's quite handy in identifying where to focus your revision and test taking strategies.

Hiya, I guess since I cant ping you privately, I will ask "publicly"..pls what uKCAT score should I aim at to have a shot at Warwick... I currently have a first degree and a masters (2:1) and would love to go to warwick.....pls any advice would be appreciated...cheers
int_applicant
Hiya, I guess since I cant ping you privately, I will ask "publicly"..pls what uKCAT score should I aim at to have a shot at Warwick... I currently have a first degree and a masters (2:1) and would love to go to warwick.....pls any advice would be appreciated...cheers

I think the cutoff this year was something like 680 but everyone I spoke to at the assessment centre seemed to have cleared 700. I think it is similar with Newcastle GEP and King's GEP too. Essentially get the 600Q practice book and do the best that you can :smile:
IndiePixie
I think the cutoff this year was something like 680 but everyone I spoke to at the assessment centre seemed to have cleared 700. I think it is similar with Newcastle GEP and King's GEP too. Essentially get the 600Q practice book and do the best that you can :smile:

ok....thanks
conorcd
If you are doing widening access some unis are linked in a mutual recognition scheme. which is your local uni? if they are in the scheme it could be a good idea to apply to others. I decided to stay in north so went for Leeds, Manch and Newc once had Ukcat. Have friend at Nottingham who loves it there but they are ranked low in some med school lists (tho any med school must be good in my opinion), what are your gcse scores?

Manchester would be my local, and then leeds would be the next local.... But none of them (except leeds) include me in widening access schemes i dont think as the criteria mostly you have to be from manchester etc. and im from just outside manchester (blackburn). I didnt't think i'd have a chance at nottingham cos i thought it was hard to get into - at gcse i got 3A*, 6A's and 2B's. Not too shoddy, not overly brilliant either!!
Got to see how the UKCAT goes as well i suppose....
Xx
Could someone please explain in more detail the differences between PBL, Systems Based and Traditional courses. Also what course do specific Universities use e.g. Oxbridge use the traditional style (I think). I have tried to do my own research but what I've read so far has been quite vague.
Reply 991
:smile:
dilipd
i think liverpool and keele are good choices. the tactic i would use is to go for 1 high risk choice, 2 middle risk choices and 1 low risk choice

southampton were not fussy in 2008,2009 and 2010 but that was because they were keeping a close eye on the ukcat and how they should use it after they deemed it unreliable at the start of the 2008 cycle.

So my original choices were,

Southampton 4 yr, KCL - 5yr, Newc 4 yr...

what about Leicester 5 yr
What combination do you think is worth applying to? spec if my ukcat ends up between 600-650?

Thanks.:s-smilie:
conorcd
Oh my God, you're back! thought you were considering being fair but gentle! You do make me smile tho

I am indeed back :biggrin: I am making some changes :p:
I don't like blood or guts

can i be a doc?
Reply 994
rugbyladosc
I don't like blood or guts

can i be a doc?

U can't be a surgeon
People often feel fine about the whole thing after a few dissection sessions, a good idea is to ask or read about what current students think about dissection to see whether you'd be able to handle it. But unless its a serious dislike you should be fine.

As for work experience, its definitely a must for many med schools, but you don't ave to have loads and loads. Just anything within a caring field that will show you understand what it will be like in that environment. I didn't do any in hospitals or GP's surgeries but got through easily because of hospice work and things like that. They're more interested in making sure you're really enthusiastic than counting the number of hours you've done.
Reply 996
I have a predicated first in science degree but i am a bit worried about how i would perform in ukcat or GAMSAT?

what unis do you recommend I apply to ?
Reply 997
Hey, i was just wondering what my chances are in medicine?

GCSE's : 11A* s - Maths, English, English lit, RE (short course), Biol, Chem, Phys, Business Studies, ICT, Business and Communications Systems, French.

Yr 12: Maths Chem Biol Phys (results pending)
Yr 13: Maths Chem Biol AS-Further Maths

UKCAT: Unlikely to do well so am hoping to apply to four of: Bristol, Liverpool, Birmingham, Cardiff, Queen's belfast.

I have experience at a self-help centre and am looking for experience elsewhere but thats all for now.

Reply 998
Milly.x
Hey, i was just wondering what my chances are in medicine?

GCSE's : 11A* s - Maths, English, English lit, RE (short course), Biol, Chem, Phys, Business Studies, ICT, Business and Communications Systems, French.

Yr 12: Maths Chem Biol Phys (results pending)
Yr 13: Maths Chem Biol AS-Further Maths

UKCAT: Unlikely to do well so am hoping to apply to four of: Bristol, Liverpool, Birmingham, Cardiff, Queen's belfast.

I have experience at a self-help centre and am looking for experience elsewhere but thats all for now.

Do you want a pat in the back. YOU know that your grades and subjects are great , stop moaning. There are people with worse results than you. :rolleyes:
PFFFFFFT. Only 11A*s? You need at least 50 to get in these days....

Latest