The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1040
thanks for your help! :P
im just worried about the B in chemistry???
Reply 1041
I'd do the biomed, as you're more likely to get in.
Then do a postgrad.
Reply 1042
Waraich
thanks for your help! :P
im just worried about the B in chemistry???

Just apply to places which don't mind a B in chemistry (have a look http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_A_Level_Requirements for more info but make sure you double check with the university websites)
Hi

Happy results day... Unfortunately it wasn't too good for me. :frown: I was planning to re-apply to medicine at the end of year 13 and take a gap year. Everything went well except for Chemistry - I missed an A by 6 ums.
It's painful and I still don't understand how I managed to get certain marks when I believed I had done a lot better... So I'll be putting in for a remark in September...

My problem: I wanted to study medicine so bad. Yes, I have a back-up offer for medical science at Birmingham but I've been through some rough patches and I'm just not in the right frame of mind to go to university at the moment. On top of that, I can't do any shopping for university either, i.e buy any clothes... I mean my shoes have holes in them... I just have no money. I don't feel ready.

I was thinking of retaking the Chemistry in January if the remark didn't work and applying to BSMS, possibly UEA and a couple others who might accept my retake with extenuating circumstances. My heart is set tight on medicine and I have gained a lot more to stregnthen my application...

I just don't know if I'm making a wise decision =( are there any specific people who I could talk to? Like advisors for things like this? The teachers at my school aren't supportive at all : /

I'd be grateful for any advice :frown:
une_fille
Hi

Happy results day... Unfortunately it wasn't too good for me. :frown: I was planning to re-apply to medicine at the end of year 13 and take a gap year. Everything went well except for Chemistry - I missed an A by 6 ums.
It's painful and I still don't understand how I managed to get certain marks when I believed I had done a lot better... So I'll be putting in for a remark in September...

My problem: I wanted to study medicine so bad. Yes, I have a back-up offer for medical science at Birmingham but I've been through some rough patches and I'm just not in the right frame of mind to go to university at the moment. On top of that, I can't do any shopping for university either, i.e buy any clothes... I mean my shoes have holes in them... I just have no money. I don't feel ready.

I was thinking of retaking the Chemistry in January if the remark didn't work and applying to BSMS, possibly UEA and a couple others who might accept my retake with extenuating circumstances. My heart is set tight on medicine and I have gained a lot more to stregnthen my application...

I just don't know if I'm making a wise decision =( are there any specific people who I could talk to? Like advisors for things like this? The teachers at my school aren't supportive at all : /

I'd be grateful for any advice :frown:

I'm in a somewhat similar position as you. I've been thinking the same all day. Although now I'm more swaying towards resitting and re-applying.

I want to do Medicine, and just looking at the advantages and negatives of both graduate entry and re-applying, the re-applying option just seems better overall. As you can still re-apply and have another Biomed or w.e degree as a back up.
First of all, do a remark for the subject you were 2 marks off. It'll be much quicker than a resit. If you still can't get those 2 marks, then yes, it's a good idea to do resits, provided you think you're capable of teaching yourself while away from college. Usually for courses like Medicine, Vet Science and Dentistry, when the uni accepts resits, they want you to get either AAB or AAA (AAB if they were asking for ABB, AAA if they were asking for AAB). Try not to go through the biomed pathway because it will be annoying for you if you don't like the course, there will be loads of competition from other med applicants doing exactly the same thing, it will be super expensive and you'll be wasting another 3 years.

Use your gap year to give yourself an advantage over other students: get loads of work experience, work on your flaws and make a kick-arse personal statement.
Reply 1046
It's all really getting on top of me tonight, just found out irish graduate entry is 10k a YEAR to do, so that's my backup out the window.

If I could just get an interview I know i'd do well in it.
I have a question about "pending", not enter or declare my AS module grades.
I have got :
Maths :
C1 A
C2 A
C3 A
C4 A
S1 A
M1 A

Biology :
Unit 1 : A
Unit 2 : A
Unit 3 ( practical ) : C

Chemistry :
Unit 1 : A
Unit 2 : A
Unit 3 : A

My question is that can I chose not to enter my Unit 3 Bio grade at all? Or I have to leave them at least "pending"? Will the medical schools feel something wrong there? Will the be suspicious that I got bad grade? Given my school can let students choose to put "pending" means they havecashed in the grades.
Thanks so much! Btw, I'm an international student so would I have a chance?
my AS results were TERRIBLE. Considering these were my first AS exams as we weren't allowed to sit in January, do you think I am comparable to other applicants???
Pleeease help I'm so worried now!
Bio B
Chem B
Physics C :s
French C !!!!!!!!1

Help :frown:
ps. i'm going to resit in jan and maybe june... so they'll hopefully move up to As ! but i just want to know where i stand compared to everyone else please.
Hi, i got my AS results(Below) and now chosing which uni's to apply to.

Would Kings EMDP, Southampton, BSMS and Leicester be ok. Lastly, if i were to choose a BMAT uni it would be UCL what chance do you think i'll have. If I selected it rather than one of the others
Jenna&Sierra.
ps. i'm going to resit in jan and maybe june... so they'll hopefully move up to As ! but i just want to know where i stand compared to everyone else please.

Don't worry about how you compare to other people. I would imagine that your grades are not as 'good' as some but that doesn't mean that it is the end of the world.

This site is by no means an accurate representation of all medical applicants in terms of academic achievement :smile:
TooSexyForMyStethoscope
Don't worry about how you compare to other people. I would imagine that your grades are not as 'good' as some but that doesn't mean that it is the end of the world.

This site is by no means an accurate representation of all medical applicants in terms of academic achievement :smile:

do you know if all unis are able to see the AS results???:confused:

Would Kings EMDP, Southampton, BSMS and Leicester be ok. Lastly, if i were to choose a BMAT uni it would be UCL what chance do you think i'll have. If I selected it rather than one of the others

Help Please :smile:
Jenna&Sierra.
do you know if all unis are able to see the AS results???:confused:

IThe ones that you apply to will get them as you have to state them on the UCAS form dooodah. I'm in the Scottish system and so don't really understand the whole resit thing. I think you have to show these ones as well as any improved grades....but I honestly don't know for sure :o:
inferno101

What are your AS results? UCL require very good AS grades.
I got my AS results yesterday and I got 3 low As and one high B, which my school have promised to predict an A for.

I want to apply to Imperial and I was wondering 1stly - whether they consider resits, and secondly - do they check your UMS scores? Or just you're predicted grades?

Thanks.
duskflower
I got my AS results yesterday and I got 3 low As and one high B, which my school have promised to predict an A for.

I want to apply to Imperial and I was wondering 1stly - whether they consider resits, and secondly - do they check your UMS scores? Or just you're predicted grades?

Thanks.

I rang them about resits (just in case!) when I applied to them this year - they didn't have a problem with AS or A2 resits if I remember correctly - but you should give them a quick ring to check!

I'm not sure about the UMS checking.
inferno101

This would be a waste of your choice unless you satisfy the conditions for the course. It shouldn't be considered as a backup choice.
I was planning to study Biomed at KCL and then go onto graduate medicine. My offer was ABB and yesterday I achieved A*AA in Physics, Biology and Chemistry. Is deferring my entry for a year and reapplying a good idea? If so, what are my chances of getting into Medicine at UCL, Imperial or King's? I have an AS in maths at grade B and last year(I'm aware I have to take both the BMAT and UKCAT again) got a 678 in the UKCAT. I'm planning on doing voluntary work at my local hospital for a year and also getting some work experience at my hospital. In my GCSE's, I got 2A*, 4A and 4B. So what are my chances of getting into medicine next year at one of those uni's?

Latest

Trending

Trending