The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1100
vertigo.0012
My lowest was 580 :wink:
I'd say still apply to Leicester, you'd get full marks for academics and still 3/5 for UKCAT, so if your PS and reference are good you stand a good chance of getting an interview.

Hmm fair enough :p: Well I'd double check the new scoring, isnt it out of 20 this year or something? which might make it risky.
Reply 1101
@ Get Cape, im at greenhead in huddersfield.

Heres the new admissions update. http://www.le.ac.uk/sm/le/docs/Admissions%20Update.pdf
I know I'll get 10/10 for academics on the new scoring system, but I'll only get 6/10 for UKCAT. Up to 10 points are awarded for the personal statement too.

I don't know whether I should risk it...? :/
addi187
@ Get Cape, im at greenhead in huddersfield.

Heres the new admissions update. http://www.le.ac.uk/sm/le/docs/Admissions%20Update.pdf
I know I'll get 10/10 for academics on the new scoring system, but I'll only get 6/10 for UKCAT. Up to 10 points are awarded for the personal statement too.

I don't know whether I should risk it...? :/

I'd say go for it - as long as your PS is up to scratch you stand a good chance.
Reply 1103
vertigo what were your ukcat scores?
sc0307
Is it worth applying to UCL if u do a2 modules in january?

It's certainly not a hard and fast rule anymore, but they still recommend that you do a large number of A2 modules in June.

I think it probably is worth applying (as long as you have very good AS results - UCL want a "strong performance at AS Level" now).

But as always, I'd hate to give advice that results in anyone wasting a choice on their form, so double check here to be sure: [email protected]

Good luck!
Reply 1105
Markh1000
It's certainly not a hard and fast rule anymore, but they still recommend that you do a large number of A2 modules in June.

I think it probably is worth applying (as long as you have very good AS results - UCL want a "strong performance at AS Level" now).

But as always, I'd hate to give advice that results in anyone wasting a choice on their form, so double check here to be sure: [email protected]

Good luck!

Thanks, i got AABB, is that a strong performance?
I already contacted the admissions team and they said:

'we can't answer that until we compare ur application to the 2300 applicants we receive every year'
sc0307
Thanks, i got AABB, is that a strong performance?
I already contacted the admissions team and they said:

'we can't answer that until we compare ur application to the 2300 applicants we receive every year'

Hmmm it's a difficult one. I'd say that is a strong performance (theres a good chance you'll convert to at least AAA at A2) so hopefully it will be good enough. But then again I'm not reading the applications. :s-smilie:

Good luck.
Zai
I haven't done them yet (I just did Computing early in year 11.)
I just want to know, if someone were to have 5 As at AS/A2 -- is the course so competitive that a sixth B at AS would lower their chances at UCL for instance?
Thanks.

Oh yeah! I forgot you were in year 11 - duh on my part lol

If you applied with AAAAAB a AS, it would certainly be considered a (very) strong performance! There is of course no need to do 6 AS levels - are you sure that's what you want to do?
I know its about work experience + interview+ personal statement + ECA ukcat( I'm not applying to BMAT unis) and everything, but part of me still thinks that grades matter too. I got a D in my physics practical, it was so disgusting my physics teacher didn't look at all surprised, but my other modules were so high it didn't matter. Also I only got a B in Chemistry, does this mean i can't apply?I got 238/300, so hopefully I'll be predicted an A,Also one of my teachers said that i need like 95% overall to apply, is he crazy or what? but in short i got AAAB. Is it ok if the B is in Chemistry? Plus even if it is, doesn't it look a bit weird that Chemistry is the only essential subject there but its the lowest? I am going for a remark though, but should i really apply?

Maths 256/300
Biology 252/300
Physics 246/300
Chemistry 238/300

Edit: btw i also got A*A*A*AAAAAA in my GCSE's
kashim91
I know its about work experience + interview+ personal statement + ECA ukcat( I'm not applying to BMAT unis) and everything, but part of me still thinks that grades matter too. I got a D in my physics practical, it was so disgusting my physics teacher didn't look at all surprised, but my other modules were so high it didn't matter. Also I only got a B in Chemistry, does this mean i can't apply?I got 238/300, so hopefully I'll be predicted an A,Also one of my teachers said that i need like 95% overall to apply, is he crazy or what? but in short i got AAAB. Is it ok if the B is in Chemistry? Plus even if it is, doesn't it look a bit weird that Chemistry is the only essential subject there but its the lowest? I am going for a remark though, but should i really apply?

Maths 256/300
Biology 252/300
Physics 246/300
Chemistry 238/300

Edit: btw i also got A*A*A*AAAAAA in my GCSE's

Try to get predicted an A in Chemistry.

You should be fine. Of course grades matter too, but as you say, lots of other stuff is very important.
For anyone interested in applying to Leicester, just thought you might want to read this:

http://www.le.ac.uk/sm/le/docs/Admissions%20Update.pdf

Their admissions process seems to have changed quite a bit.
Reply 1111
Markh1000
Hmmm it's a difficult one. I'd say that is a strong performance (theres a good chance you'll convert to at least AAA at A2) so hopefully it will be good enough. But then again I'm not reading the applications. :s-smilie:

Good luck.

Thanks, i got an A in history which will look good since UCL like contrasting subjects.
addi187
vertigo what were your ukcat scores?

Average was 627.5, can't remember my individual sections. I'll dig them out....

VR 580, QR 620, AR 660, DA 670
Reply 1113
vertigo.0012
Average was 627.5, can't remember my individual sections. I'll dig them out....

VR 580, QR 620, AR 660, DA 670

ahh, seems like it would have been getter to just get 600 in each section rather than a 627.5 average with 740 in qr! Vr messed up my scores =(

How does peninsula select for interviews?
addi187
ahh, seems like it would have been getter to just get 600 in each section rather than a 627.5 average with 740 in qr! Vr messed up my scores =(

How does peninsula select for interviews?

Not sure entirely, think it's down to predicted grades, PS and ref mostly. UKCAT doesn't seem to play a huge role, they're more into your character.
sc0307
Thanks, i got an A in history which will look good since UCL like contrasting subjects.

So did i! :biggrin:

Yeah, every little helps!
AS results:

English Lit- A

Maths- C

Chemistry- B

Biology- B

German- B

Should I just give up on medicine now?
Hi my name is Claire and I am just starting Year 11. I get my GCSE results next Tuesday in Biology, Chemistry and Physics. I did the foundation level and it is predicted that I will get grade C's. I am starting AS Biology, Physics and Chemistry this September and continuing in 6th Form to get A'levels. When looking at some of the medical school sites I see that I may have to have grade A in GCSE Biology and Chemistry. Should I try and see if I can take these subjects at higher level in exams in November or do any of you know any medical schools that consider the GCSE's at grade C as long as you have the A'levels at grade A. I was put in for the foundation level at school because I changed schools and they didnot know my educational ability and told me I could do higher later but have now been put in to start A'levels in September. Any help would or advice would be gratefully appreciated. Thank you for your time.
Regards
Claire
vanclaire
Hi my name is Claire and I am just starting Year 11. I get my GCSE results next Tuesday in Biology, Chemistry and Physics. I did the foundation level and it is predicted that I will get grade C's. I am starting AS Biology, Physics and Chemistry this September and continuing in 6th Form to get A'levels. When looking at some of the medical school sites I see that I may have to have grade A in GCSE Biology and Chemistry. Should I try and see if I can take these subjects at higher level in exams in November or do any of you know any medical schools that consider the GCSE's at grade C as long as you have the A'levels at grade A. I was put in for the foundation level at school because I changed schools and they didnot know my educational ability and told me I could do higher later but have now been put in to start A'levels in September. Any help would or advice would be gratefully appreciated. Thank you for your time.
Regards
Claire

This link will tell you what GCSE grades you need for medical school:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_GCSE_Requirements

The vast majority want more than C grades in the sciences. Taking on GCSEs again as well as A-levels would be a LOT of work though. I think if you want to do medicine, then you should resit those GCSEs.
Reply 1119
^ I agree, I think you should take the higher level in year 11 rather than fast tracking to A Level. You will struggle with just C's - as well as your knowledge being limited when you go into A Level

Latest

Trending

Trending