The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
i'm from oldham too pal, get in at mancracker, they love us oldhamers there, beltin lad i tell thee.

champion.
which universities are the most leaniant towards grades. I just completed my As levels and dont think iv done so well. maybe get an A and 3 Bs.. but im strong in terms of volunteering, work experience etc.
look at the entry requirements for each uni.
look at the league tables as they will give you an idea of which universities are good and which ones aren't as good
the lower ones might have slightly lower entry requirements but as it's medicine, they'll still be quite high. if you get ABBB, you should be alright to get into AAB unis i think.
Reply 103
go and check university websites for a course that you would like to do to see what their typical grade requirements are. a lot of it depends on the course (for example, law needs better grades than sociology) but with grades like yours you should be able to do most things and a lot of very good universities.

EDIT - sorry, i didn't realise this was in the medicine section!
Reply 104
TheProdigy2k9
if you get ABBB, you should be alright to get into AAB unis i think.

only if he/she can raise their grades to AAB. they don't accept ABBB instead of AAB (unless not enough people have taken up places at that uni that year - definately not something to rely on)
Hi OP, unfortunately, what the prodigy2k9 said doesn't really apply to medicine. The league tables don't really work for med schools. Because the way they teach varies so much, you can't really compare them to each other. You have to fiind one that suits the way you like to learn, rather than tough it out at one that has come higher up but is totally unsuited to you. They all have to meet minimum teaching requirements otherwise you couldn't be GMC reguistered when you qualify. Because of this, the ones 'at the bottom' won't really care they are there and won't give you any special considerations. For example, in the Times Peninsula is 16/30. In the Guardian it's 8/30.

Grades are the first thing they look for, and if you don't reach the minimum they won't even look at the rest. It is also quite unlikely you'll find a uni to let you in with ABB, I think the grades went up to AAB, and may be AAA next year?

But it's not the end for you, you have a few options. Firstly, you haven't got your results yet, so you might be stressing for nothing :smile: Work hard for what exams you have left, enjoy your summer and then worry about it come results day. If you have missed your grades, if it's not by much then consider taking a gap year and retaking, and taking the opportunity to do some more work ex, or apply through clearing to a related degree like biomedical science and apply to a graduate entry programme, or as a grad on a 5 year programme. Grads are favoured by many med schools because of the commitment they show and the fact they will bring a more mature attitude, life experience and a honed study technique. Good luck :smile:
Reply 106
Hey guys,

If you get AABB at A/s level for maths, Bio, Chem and Physics (2B's in chem and Physics) would you automatically be rejected from Imperial or St.Georges because you didn't fufill there criteria of AAAB at A/S... Is this understanding correct?

Say you were to drop Physics and keep Chemistry, and retake the module you did bad in, would you still be unable to apply?

Thanks.
it's your A level predictions which matter.
Reply 108
gildartz
it's your A level predictions which matter.

But it says on there website and Critrea... AAAB
J DOT A

Have you got a link for that?
J DOT A

As your A2 level results. If you got AABB at AS then you would resit to get AAAB or better.
Reply 111
HotCoco.
As your A2 level results. If you got AABB at AS then you would resit to get AAAB or better.

OHHH right!! okay kool thanks for that I got a bit confused.

so if you got AACC you would have to take all 4 to A2 wouldn't you?
J DOT A
OHHH right!! okay kool thanks for that I got a bit confused.

so if you got AACC you would have to take all 4 to A2 wouldn't you?

You can choose to drop one, or carry one on as A2 level. If you are satisfied with your A's, then you don't have to retake. It would be best to retake the two C subjects since most if not all requirements are AAB at A2, with a B at AS. Some medical schools do not specify a requirement for the 4th AS level.
As i'm a bit confused about which accept it...:smile:
Those which say so.
I think there's thread around here that lists all the schools' requirements. It might be outdated though. Why not just look at individual sites? There are only 30 or so medical schools (:p:)
Reply 116
monkeyytastic

Technically there are a fair few places such as this, but realistically all but a minute number of places in Medicine go to AAA students.
monkeyytastic

the majority do, go on ucas to check all of them at once :smile:
Reply 118
the uni of liverpool claim AAB, keele uni sometimes asks for ABB! but this isn't always likely, it depends on your, personal statement, currents grades and qualifications and the demand for the course.

most people do get offers for AAA but dont let this put you off if your applying, my friends predicted grades were ABB and he still got an interview. :smile: x
Sheffield does I think (see, reading about irrelavant courses in the prospectus has payed off! :p:)
Just print off a list on UCAS, and go through and research them individually, that's what most peeps do. :h:

Latest

Trending

Trending