The Student Room Group

Anyone Else Seen "Peckham Finishing School for Girls"

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Tha_Black_Shinobi
Because they don't have very much money you mug. Also becuase of the vibrant African/Carribean community

If you don't have much money you move away from london, up north is much cheaper than peckham and would be less of a ********.
Reply 81
I can't believe the posh girls wasted the money they were given... £120 is alot of money! :angry:
Reply 82
Tha_Black_Shinobi
lol. I talk like that. I admit I dont talk as ghetto as the red headed peckham but a lot of that slang does crop up in my vocabulary and I still bet I am 10 times more articulate than you are:rolleyes:

Mhm, I tend to do the same, but really I can philosophise with the best of them :smile:

"What is intelligence, innit?"
Reply 83
Tha_Black_Shinobi
lol. I talk like that. I admit I dont talk as ghetto as the red headed peckham but a lot of that slang does crop up in my vocabulary and I still bet I am 10 times more articulate than you are:rolleyes:

No, i really don't think you are.

Articulation can relate to both vocabulary and how you pronounce each word. I pronounce each word in a very old English fashion, meaning my articulation is closer to the truest form of English. Oh god i am a purist!!?!?! :frown:
Reply 84
Muffinz
Mhm, I tend to do the same, but really I can philosophise with the best of them :smile:

"What is intelligence, innit?"

Philosophizing isn't indicative of articulation. Pronunciation, sentence structure and vocabulary is. :smile:
I've seen it ... my replacement for Junior Apprentice :awesome:
Steph and Serena are loads better than Cat and Claire IMO.
What annoys me is how the posh girls are happy to whinge about people 'scrounging' off benefits when they've clearly been living off their parents which is just as bad, if not worse.
Reply 86
Ocassus
Philosophizing isn't indicative of articulation. Pronunciation, sentence structure and vocabulary is. :smile:

You need to have a wide knowledge of vocabulary and language in order to accurattely describe the topic and your opinion though, don't you? :smile:
Reply 87
Muffinz
You need to have a wide knowledge of vocabulary and language in order to accurattely describe the topic and your opinion though, don't you? :smile:

But that isn't Philosophizing :L.

Articulation in its most basic form is simply use of language. You have just proved my point. 'Init' is a very poor form of articulation because it is a pidgin English way of pronouncing 'is this not it?' Or 'Isn't it?'
Reply 88
issih

and i dont kno what deriding means.

Look it up then, and do similarly to all words you 'dont kno' and you may just improve on the atrocious vocabulary you have at present.
Reply 89
ellingham
I used to text like that when i was 13 back in secondary, i'm 19 now and iv'e grown up a bit i suggest you try it some day. How old are you anyway? I'm guessing around my age. At the end of the day most of the posts/threads iv'e seen from you involve drinking/contraception and now this. How can you even say "they dont kno what its like"? You don't know what it's like, you said you went to private school? I couldn't even of dreamed of private school, i didn't even know what one was until i was about 14. I suppose what annoyed me the most about your post is the way you make out you're like one of the girls from peckham, you had it sweet you went to private school for **** sake.

lol ok, i get u but the thing is all i ever act like is myself. im not trying to act more street or whatever to be cool. ive always been like this. im 17 btw. im ditzy but im not stupid, i act silly but im not immature so i dont appreciate u having a go at me when i havent done anything wrong. and yes i appreciated that i got the oppotunity to go private school but that doesnt mean i liked it or liked the people there which is why i particularly cant stand preppy girls. my family isnt posh, my dad just started up a successful company, im lucky and i kno it. so get off my case ok? this thread was to discuss a program not to slam me...
Reply 90
I thought the posh girls were quite nice. They were open to learning about the Peckham way. The only bad thing they did was waste the money.

IMO the peckham girls were prejudice. They formed they opinions of the posh girls before they even arrived and were just waiting to jump on anything that they thought matched there presumptions. They werent as open-minded as the posh girls.

And when there was the issue of private school bulling, they didnt even let them explain themselves. I think they meant that in private school you dont get that much violence as state schools because you could get expelled straight away. State-school, you might not even get a detetion for violence. They just meant you dont expect private schools to have those problems because of the strict disipline, private school kids have much more to lose therefore are less likely to risk it.

Nehoo, I preferred the posh girls (but alisha was ok).

N.B. I am state school... not posh either
issih
i wanna shoot the ginger one. ahhhhhh this is pissing me off so much lol. iplayer is **** i have to restart it every minute grr.

she annoyed me. I was ready for one of the 'Peckham sisters' to smack her upside the head - although I think they did misunderstand the whole threats in private school thing
Yeah very interesting programme.
My question is why didn't the producers think to have some boys from similar backgrounds?
I would have been interesting to see how they interact with the other boys.
Reply 93
Ocassus
No, i really don't think you are.

Articulation can relate to both vocabulary and how you pronounce each word. I pronounce each word in a very old English fashion, meaning my articulation is closer to the truest form of English. Oh god i am a purist!!?!?! :frown:

only speaking proper english isn't articulate.

being able to speak proper english, as well as other types is. the whole point of language is to communicate - if 2 people can communicate just as well with slang and different pronounciation its fine.

english has been bastardised constantly since it was invented, so speaking the queens english is just speaking an older bastardised version.

edit: you are also topless in the kitchen in you profile - so your opinion doesnt count for **** anyway
Reply 94
lm_wfc
only speaking proper english isn't articulate.

being able to speak proper english, as well as other types is. the whole point of language is to communicate - if 2 people can communicate just as well with slang and different pronounciation its fine.

english has been bastardised constantly since it was invented, so speaking the queens english is just speaking an older bastardised version.

edit: you are also topless in the kitchen in you profile - so your opinion doesnt count for **** anyway

Teenagers are not allowed to boost their ego? Sorry I am failing to see how that is conducive to the argument.
Communicating in Pidgin English is pioneered by those who are less educated. Pidgin English is also less articulate relative to proper English. Therefore parallels can be drawn.
Reply 95
Kreuzuerk
Look it up then, and do similarly to all words you 'dont kno' and you may just improve on the atrocious vocabulary you have at present.

Oh Snap-osaurus rex
Reply 96
issih
lol ok, i get u but the thing is all i ever act like is myself. im not trying to act more street or whatever to be cool. ive always been like this. im 17 btw. im ditzy but im not stupid, i act silly but im not immature so i dont appreciate u having a go at me when i havent done anything wrong. and yes i appreciated that i got the oppotunity to go private school but that doesnt mean i liked it or liked the people there which is why i particularly cant stand preppy girls. my family isnt posh, my dad just started up a successful company, im lucky and i kno it. so get off my case ok? this thread was to discuss a program not to slam me...

fair enough
I think the programme shows the disadvantages money and a private education CAN bring, the main one being the naviety about how other socail classes. However, I think some of the girls seem to show some very small signs that they are becoming more aware of other classes and the real worl but there are no obivous signs that there snobbery will go away...
Chocolatemad234
I think the programme shows the disadvantages money and a private education CAN bring, the main one being the naviety about how other socail classes. However, I think some of the girls seem to show some very small signs that they are becoming more aware of other classes and the real worl but there are no obivous signs that there snobbery will go away...

but there are no signs that the peckham sisters reverse snobbery will go away either!

by reverse snobbery i mean looking down on people because they were fortunate enough to be brought up in a rich family
Ocassus
Teenagers are not allowed to boost their ego? Sorry I am failing to see how that is conducive to the argument.
Communicating in Pidgin English is pioneered by those who are less educated. Pidgin English is also less articulate relative to proper English. Therefore parallels can be drawn.

your an absolute mug mate. wtf is "proper English" it doesn't exist language has always been fluent and constantly changing and as long as the words achieve their meaning of being understood by both parties in a conversation then it has achieved its aim. Maybe you should open your mind and read some older English literature such as Shakespeare or Chaucer because I guarantee the language used their would be completely different to the English that you seem to think is proper. If anything I would say that London slang is in actuality more complex due to the importance that context has on the language.

Quick Reply

Latest