The Student Room Group

Calling all 2012 VetMed entry hopefuls, *VERY* Early i know!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
JLW
OP
Hahah, tbh, organising isn't a fortee of mine! Oh nothing that interesting, just lambing, kenells, vets, dairy farms ect.

However, I live next to St Helens Farm, (www.sthelensfarm.co.uk) which is a goat farm, they breed goats and then milk them for cheese and yoghurt. I have 2 weeks there for the end of July.

I got most of my 'contacts' from the woman who owns the kennels. She has all the farmers dogs in at some point! :smile:
Reply 21
I was wondering where are all of you considering applying to?
Reply 22
I love this thread. You guys are definitely keen! I don't doubt though, as it's already quite apparent, many current applicants or even students are going to lurk here and post advice where needed! So you've got the best possible fountain of advice for any questions you guys might have that aren't already answered in the extremely useful Application Guide or the Work Experience thread.

Can't say I envy any of you. The next few years are going to be tough. Exciting times, though :smile:

Edit: my inability to spell simple words :frown:
Reply 23
JLW
OP
Beccy99
I was wondering where are all of you considering applying to?

It depends, nearer the time with open days and things you might start to prefer them because of various different things like accomodation, or the general people there. But straight out, Liverpool and RVC are the two on top for me. Yourselff??

:smile:
Reply 24
I'm thinking of applying to Nottingham, Cambridge, Edinburgh and Bristol. They're all really different so I assumed if I didn't appeal to one I might to the others :smile: Its so exciting! Can't believe its only a year away
Reply 25
JLW
Hahah, tbh, organising isn't a fortee of mine! Oh nothing that interesting, just lambing, kenells, vets, dairy farms ect.

However, I live next to St Helens Farm, (www.sthelensfarm.co.uk) which is a goat farm, they breed goats and then milk them for cheese and yoghurt. They have about 4000 i think, and there was a really big fire there a year ago and it killed 1500 including 400 kids, as in baby goats not children. I have 2 weeks there for the middle of July.

Oh wow! A goat farm? That's something interesting, for sure. Out of the ordinary range. Sad about that fire though. Must have been terrible...

Hmm, where should I apply? Well, what we Welshies really need is a vet school in Wales. Assuming that one doesn't materialise in the next year, I'd probably go for Bristol & Notts, then probably Liv & Cambridge, seeing as I don't think I could stand 5 yrs in the middle of London & Scotland is pretty far away :wink: But of course there's ages yet (well, a year and a bit).
Reply 26
Jsrbrunty
Hmm, where should I apply? Well, what we Welshies really need is a vet school in Wales. Assuming that one doesn't materialise in the next year, I'd probably go for Bristol & Notts, then probably Liv & Cambridge, seeing as I don't think I could stand 5 yrs in the middle of London & Scotland is pretty far away :wink: But of course there's ages yet (well, a year and a bit).

Its only 2 years you spend in London, in Camden :smile: Which to be honest about, I wasnt looking forward to moving to London, but its not all bad! Camden is amazing, and had I not come to the RVC I doubt I would have ever had the opportunity to move here!!

In third year you move out to Potters Bar, to the Hawkshead campus....where the facilities are AMAZING
Reply 27
I've heard the Hawkshead campus isn't very good regarding parking and general amenities such as a good pub and buses to and from? Is that not true then? :smile:
Reply 28
Beccy99
I've heard the Hawkshead campus isn't very good regarding parking and general amenities such as a good pub and buses to and from? Is that not true then? :smile:

Im talking about veterinary facilities :wink:

Parking is something they're working on...but there is regular buses from Potters Bar/ Welwyn Garden city etc so really theres no need to drive to uni!

Most people live in Potters Bar theres a good pub there! And theres the Buttery on campus
Reply 29
Oh sorry :L

Thats good then! When I go to the open days I'm going to have a check-list to find the nearest good pubs etc. :smile:
Reply 30
JLW
OP
Beccy99
Oh sorry :L

Thats good then! When I go to the open days I'm going to have a check-list to find the nearest good pubs etc. :smile:

I like the way you think! :smile:
Reply 31
JLW
I like the way you think! :smile:

Forward thinking :wink:
Reply 32
Lol I wouldnt base which vet school you go to on which as the best pubs if I were you! You'll soon learn that as a poor student its cheaper to drink at home...and the fact you have too much work to do :p:
Reply 33
Ahh no, but if you know all of the local ammenities its always a help in choosing :wink: I mean, if one has a supermarket down the road, yet the other has the nearest one an hour away.

It all adds up :smile:
Reply 34
Anyone else watch the "Inside Nature's Giant" programme tonight? I liked the experiment with the stuffed lions, I'll admit :p:
Reply 35
Beccy99
Ahh no, but if you know all of the local ammenities its always a help in choosing :wink: I mean, if one has a supermarket down the road, yet the other has the nearest one an hour away.

It all adds up :smile:

I'm fairly sure that none of the vet schools are an hour away from a supermarket :p:

Yes, little things like that do add up, but very few people are in a position to pick and choose, I think little things like that should only be thought about after any offers, but each to their own. It's good, because all the vets schools are in lovely cities and areas (with the exception of Nottingham, in my opinion) so location isn't much of an issue :smile:
Reply 36
Hi, i'm a newbie on here but much alike the rest of you i am extremely interested in studying vet med at university in 2012. Trying to sort out/organise work exp. at the moment, any advice at all?
Reply 37
turnaround
Hi, i'm a newbie on here but much alike the rest of you i am extremely interested in studying vet med at university in 2012. Trying to sort out/organise work exp. at the moment, any advice at all?

have a look at the big and shiny work experience bible then have a look in the phone book/on the internet and start phoning people! :p:

don't leave it until the last minute - some places get booked up very quickly and you may need to plan months ahead.
Reply 38
thanks!
Reply 39
turnaround

Welcome to TSR :smile:
Have you got/planned any work experience yet?

Quick Reply

Latest