The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
SK-mar
why has this thread suddenly died?? is there another thread for this now or what lol?

I think people may be preparing for an afternoon exam, I know I am.

did you get partial pressures from methanol or whatever to be 4.9 in the beginning of the Kp question?
Reply 81
Original post by &#946
I think people may be preparing for an afternoon exam, I know I am.

did you get partial pressures from methanol or whatever to be 4.9 in the beginning of the Kp question?

no i somehow managed to muck that one up but that is the right answer!

for the second part did you get 46.8 moles for ethanoic acid and 3.2 for the other two? then 28.08 atm pressure for ethanoic acid?
Reply 82
this thread has depressed me so much lol

looking forward to clearing lolz. :P (unless i get like 100% in unit 5... :P)
Reply 83
SK-mar
no i somehow managed to muck that one up but that is the right answer!

for the second part did you get 46.8 moles for ethanoic acid and 3.2 for the other two? then 28.08 atm pressure for ethanoic acid?

Yes :biggrin: I was really hesitant about some of my calculations but I checked them over a number of times and they seemed legit. Hopefully it turns out nice, but I missed large elements of the MgCl2 stuff because I cba to labour through that data booklet (it was wasting too much time and i did what I could without the data). Was the enthropy total like -110? and the one about the half equivelance - was the pH about 4.7 or something ? - that one I took a bit of an educated gamble :p:

EDIT: I wont be replying for a while - Im off for D2 :smile:
Reply 84
Original post by &#946
Yes :biggrin: I was really hesitant about some of my calculations but I checked them over a number of times and they seemed legit. Hopefully it turns out nice, but I missed large elements of the MgCl2 stuff because I cba to labour through that data booklet (it was wasting too much time and i did what I could without the data). Was the enthropy total like -110? and the one about the half equivelance - was the pH about 4.7 or something ? - that one I took a bit of an educated gamble :p:

EDIT: I wont be replying for a while - Im off for D2 :smile:

ermm yeh i got -110. and i think the half equivalence was 7 (neutral) because when you have equal quantities of H+ and OH- the solution is always neutral. good luck in D2!!
Re: the half-equivalence point - I went for 4.7ish as well (the pH=pKa thing) but I think a few people have been saying pH7 and others for that question so I was debating whether I read the question right - educated gamble as you say.

Yeah I got dStotal as -110 too, and as for finding those ionic radius values, what a joke....
Reply 86
robberkeley9
Re: the half-equivalence point - I went for 4.7ish as well (the pH=pKa thing) but I think a few people have been saying pH7 and others for that question so I was debating whether I read the question right - educated gamble as you say.

Yeah I got dStotal as -110 too, and as for finding those ionic radius values, what a joke....

that question was a joke!! i also thought the Kp question was fairly demanding. and a few random questions that were just annoying too lol. multiple choice was fairly tough too. I think boundaries will be as low if not lower than january which was 56/90 for an A.

you know the end of the Kp question was it endothermic or exothermic. I just guessed exothermic and said cos energy is lost to the environment lol. complete bullcrap
Reply 87
How did you work out the question about partial pressure that went as follows:
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Reaction occurs 150-200'c

CH3OH + CO <===> CH3COOH

50.0 mol CH3OH and 50.0 mol CO allowed to reach equilibrium. Total pressure of 32.0 atm. At 175'c, partial pressure of CH3COOH is 22.2atm. Calculate partial pressure for CH3OH and CO.
My idea was to work backwards from the partial pressure for CH3COOH, e.g. Mole fraction = 22.2atm x 32.0 atm. However, that then gave:

no moles CH3COOH / total number of moles

But how do you know total number moles at equilibrium or number of moles CH3COOH?? :confused: Can someone please explain how you are mean't to work it out? :s-smilie:
Reply 88
James D
How did you work out the question about partial pressure that went as follows:
Reaction occurs 150-200'c

CH3OH + CO <===> CH3COOH

50.0 mol CH3OH and 50.0 mol CO allowed to reach equilibrium. Total pressure of 32.0 atm. At 175'c, partial pressure of CH3COOH is 22.2atm. Calculate partial pressure for CH3OH and CO.
My idea was to work backwards from the partial pressure for CH3COOH, e.g. Mole fraction = 22.2atm x 32.0 atm. However, that then gave:

no moles CH3COOH / total number of moles

But how do you know total number moles at equilibrium or number of moles CH3COOH?? :confused: Can someone please explain how you are mean't to work it out? :s-smilie:

All you had to know was that 22.2 atm of ethanoic was formed at eqm from 32 atm reactants. so to get atm of reactants you did
32 -22.2 = 9.8
the reactants were equimolar so you divided this by 2 to get 4.9 atm for each one.
Reply 89
SK-mar
ermm yeh i got -110. and i think the half equivalence was 7 (neutral) because when you have equal quantities of H+ and OH- the solution is always neutral. good luck in D2!!

Thanks it went well :smile: and im glad you also got -110, no one else seems to have had it from who ive asked. I really dont think its pH 7 though - I dont understand fully why but from previous reading I thought pH = pKa at the point half the H+ was neutralised. Anyways.
Reply 90
robberkeley9

Could not agree more, it just seemed so unintelligent - I mean they had already made us refer to the booklet before but persisted to ask, and we are not nessesarily displaying some extra element of skill, unless patience is one of them :p:
Reply 91
ugly paper
For the Kp Qs the temperature was raised (I think), and the the yield of ethanoic acid increased (partial pressure increased from 22.2 to 28..) therefore the reaction is endothermic. Right?
Reply 93
no the temp was decreased. since the poe shifts to the right must be exothermic
*Sad Face* also for the hydration of CoCl2.6H20 i got 185.6 as my deltaS(system)
Reply 95
Doink-the-Clown
Unofficial markscheme and Original paper-

http://www.mediafire.com/?qdzyd3tomgo

hey please do upload once again...there is something wrong with this one !! thanks ...will REP for sure .... {it was not such a good paper + short of time !! :frown: }
yh PLS upload paper, will rep

just quote me thankssssssssssssss
Reply 97
AliBabyBaBa
*Sad Face* also for the hydration of CoCl2.6H20 i got 185.6 as my deltaS(system)

same same and i got -295.6 for surroundings. system was -110 :smile:
Reply 98
cooperman91
for anyone who sat unit 4 on 17 june 2010, can you remember whether the enthalpy change for the thermal decomposition of Co(2)Cl2.6H20 to water and CoCl2 was exo or endothermic and what the orders of reaction were for the methanol and hydroxide?

It was exothermic.. How was the paper?? Mine ws bad..:frown:
Reply 99
KubanaN
order of reaction with respect to methanol was 1st order and zero order with respect to OH- which suggested that OH- reacted in after rate determining step so the mechanism had more than 1 step. thermal decomposition of Co(2)Cl2.6H20 to water and CoCl2 was endothermic, delta S surroundings was negative, delta S system was positive, but delta S surrounding was more negative than delta S system was positive so delta S total was negative something about -181 JK-1mol-1 I believe so reaction was not thermodynamically feasible at room temperature, therefore it was stable at room temperature it would decompose at higher temperatures.

Your first part was right. order respect to OH- was zero methanol was one. you HAD to look at the rates not the time. the time was there just to work out the rate.

the concentration of OH- changed the rate stayed the same.
the reaction was SN1 and it was a tertiary bromoalkane you had to draw.

it asked you something about "give evidence that there's another step" and you had to mention OH- was not in the rate equation but was present as a functional group in the end product.

primary haloalkanes do SN1 cos theres no "crowding".

==================================================================
but -181 is wrong. for those who got -110 you also got it wrong. you did a classic error.

surrounding is - delta h/T

total = Sys - delta h x1000 /T

Working out Sys:

Sum of S of products - Sum of s Reactants:

CoCl2.6h20 (s) -> CoCl2 (s) + 6h20 (l)

sys = { (6 x 69.9) + 109.2 } - 343.0 = 528.6 - 343.0 = +185.6Jmol-1K-1

delta h though was NEGATIVE 88.1 KJmol-1 therefore the equation is set up:

tot = sys + surr:
tot = sys - (delta hx1000 /298)
tot = sys - (-88.1x1000 / 298)

tot = + 185.6 - (-88100 / 298)
tot = + 185.6 - (-295.6)
tot = + 481.2 Jmol-1k-1

but in the question it said a little bit of heating is required even @ 298K so i wrote it wont decompose even though tot is positive.

===================================================================

As for the question where it asked for the pH at HALF neutralisation pKa ALWAYS = pH

therefore the ph is 4.7 It is a buffer solution, but who said buffer solutions must be pH =7?? a buffer is a solution which resists change in pH when a small amount of acid or alkali is present. you can have a buffer with pH 7 or ph 4, remember pH is the -log(HYDROGEN ions).

when a strong base is added to a weak acid, it was Naoh vs ethanoic?? at the point where half neutralisation has occurred half of the acid has gone to its conjugate base!!!
therefore [ch3ch3cooh] = [ch3ch2coo-]!!!!!

plugging this into the equation:

ka = [h+][ch3ch2coo-]
---------------
[ch3ch2cooh]

the acid and conjugate base cancel out leaving you with:

Ka = [h+] therefore pKa = pH!!! you just read off the graph.

Latest

Trending

Trending