The Student Room Group

AQA A2 French exam - 24/06/2010

Scroll to see replies

bushpig01
does anyone know the weighting of the 3 different sections and suggested time to spend on each? :s-smilie:

panic time has started!

Don't panic! :smile: Weighting is 25 marks for Listening, 25 for Reading, 10 for each of the translations (French into English, English into French, giving a total of 20) and 40 for the essay. It's out of 110 in total, but it'll be scaled to 140 UMS marks on the results slips in August.

As for timing, today I managed to get both the listening and reading done in an hour, spent 15 mins on the translations, 1 hour on the essay and 15 mins to check, proof-read.

The 'recommended' timing are I think: 30 mins listening, 1 hour on both the reading and the translations, and 1 hour on essay planning, writing and proof-reading.

apeccarino
hey,

good luck for 2moro :biggrin:
Can you please tell me what the lit/arts RBE was on today in the german exam if you can remember.

Wsn't directed at me but... I have no idea what RBE is, but the questions on arts were

To what extent was the artist influenced by the people and events of their time? I can't remember the other one... I'll try to have a think.

And the literature ones were: To what extent was the portrayal of the characters and the main themes interesting?
And something about the personalities of the characters. ?? Sorry I can't be of more help, but when I saw the question I wanted, I just pounced on it. :smile:

anzerftum
were they 'nice' questions? ie what you expected or something like describing the roles of secondary characters or influences?
hope your exam went well xx

The questions were not too bad, actually. They weren't on anything obscure, they all seemed to be within the confines of the suggested teaching points on the spec. Check out what I've written above. :smile:

emilysophielehcar
hey everyone, im doing a period of history. If the questions arent going to be similar to the specimen paper... which is events/people/actions and the aftermath, then WHAT else CAN they ask!? Thanks!

Don't think you need to worry. They weren't the same as the specimen paper, but they weren't unusual or unpredictable. I'm pretty sure that all of the questions that came up were covered in the suggested teaching points bullet points that were in the specification. So don't stress, I'm sure that it'll be something you've done before!
I am not ready for this exam at all! :sad:

Does anyone know where I can get exam papers? They're not in the AQA website, for copyright reasons :s-smilie:
emilysophielehcar
Who said last years was easy!?

Last year I'm sure the grade boundary was at 86%...
I'm doing a painter, Claude Monet, and I don't really understand what questions they could ask apart from the specimen ones. Which are something along the lines of:

Evaluate and describe a masterpiece by this painter

What are the influences on this painter's work?

Anyone wanna have a guess at the questions that might come up for those studying an artist?
Reply 84
ohmygoshxo
So panicked for the ssay! and vocab! and grammar! ****!

so everything? yeah me too! D:
Reply 85
bushpig01
so everything? yeah me too! D:

pretty much D: D: D: i was counting on this being easy but looking through the spec ... aAAAGH
oh lord help me
I'm doing a painter, Claude Monet, and I don't really understand what questions they could ask apart from the specimen ones. Which are something along the lines of:

Evaluate and describe a masterpiece by this painter

What are the influences on this painter's work?

Anyone wanna have a guess at the questions that might come up for those studying an artist?

These are some questions that I collected from practice papers from French, German and Spanish, set by AQA or ZigZag, which created a bunch of practice AQA papers this year.

-What did you like best about their work, and why?
-How did you react to the artist?
-Why was the artist famous?
-Analyse the reasons they were successful.

-Evaluate the originality of their work.
-Evaluate the new ideas/techniques that they included in their work.
-What elements did they make popular?
-How is the work representative of the country?
-Is their work typical of the period in which they worked?

-What were the influences upon them? Were they always positive? What was the most important?
-To what extent did society influence the work of the artist?
-How did the people and events of his time influence his work?

-What can they teach us?
-What influence does the artist have today?
-To what extent did the artist achieve their aims?
Reply 87
Mrs Cullen
Don't panic! :smile: Weighting is 25 marks for Listening, 25 for Reading, 10 for each of the translations (French into English, English into French, giving a total of 20) and 40 for the essay. It's out of 110 in total, but it'll be scaled to 140 UMS marks on the results slips in August.

As for timing, today I managed to get both the listening and reading done in an hour, spent 15 mins on the translations, 1 hour on the essay and 15 mins to check, proof-read.

The 'recommended' timing are I think: 30 mins listening, 1 hour on both the reading and the translations, and 1 hour on essay planning, writing and proof-reading.

Wsn't directed at me but... I have no idea what RBE is, but the questions on arts were

To what extent was the artist influenced by the people and events of their time? I can't remember the other one... I'll try to have a think.

And the literature ones were: To what extent was the portrayal of the characters and the main themes interesting?
And something about the personalities of the characters. ?? Sorry I can't be of more help, but when I saw the question I wanted, I just pounced on it. :smile:

The questions were not too bad, actually. They weren't on anything obscure, they all seemed to be within the confines of the suggested teaching points on the spec. Check out what I've written above. :smile:

Don't think you need to worry. They weren't the same as the specimen paper, but they weren't unusual or unpredictable. I'm pretty sure that all of the questions that came up were covered in the suggested teaching points bullet points that were in the specification. So don't stress, I'm sure that it'll be something you've done before!

RBE is the research based essay. I just realised this is the AQA exam not Edexcel. ahh lol!
Thanks for answering my question anyways :smile:
emilysophielehcar
Who said last years was easy!?

It was SO easy
SiaSiaSia
It was SO easy

Oh cheers, I got a D :/ (Don't worry, I resat!)

I've now resorted to looking at the grammar part of the specification and I'm googling them all to refresh my knowledge, it's actually going well! :woo:
Reply 90
I was pleased this morning when I came into school all ready to sit the exam to be told that it was in fact and afternoon exam!
An extra few hours. Though I don't think I can do much for revision, I've done all I can for the essay and I think it's hard trying to revise for the other topics. Time will tell...
Reply 91
Does anyone have any ideas for what kinda questions could come up for a poet?
Reply 92
I've woken up feeling so ill, I don't know what to do :frown:
OK, well did anyone find the listening and reading parts relatively easy?

Listening: They spoke so slowly it was ridiculous.

Reading: A bit more challenging but anyway, still quite easy. Who laughed at the article about the man slapping someone in school? :P

Translations: Again, slightly more difficult but even so, it wasn't a total disaster. The French -> English was good, although I struggled on a few words. The sentences were again a bit trickier and I did mess up the last one but I think I've still got a few marks on the question.

Essay: Well I did the author question (12a) about relationships with an individual. Not the best question I was hoping for, I was looking for something more to do with the themes. I worry that I haven't truly "analysed" the relationships, but I tried my best...

Overall: I think this was an easy exam in general, which means high grade boundaries and more dependence on grade allocation on the essay.......Damn......
:biggrin: that was so much better than i expected! I was really worried about the essay, because i'm not really used to writing since i do double maths, and therefore i'd only done one practice essay... luckily for me though, that one essay was almost identical to question 12a, so i already had all my ideas and points sorted!
Reply 95
Well I am the opposite, I found the listening ok but I found the Reading much harder than normal and then French to English had some complex structures in it :l
Blehhh
Reply 96
I found it my HARDEST exam so far!
The listening was ok, the reading was very VERY difficult- the translation from French to English was bordering impossible for me! I need a B in it to get into York, and now I KNOW that is definitely not happening :frown:
Reply 97
pas mal du tout
lol just now freaked out about what the word analyse actually means..did i do the right thing or not
Aaaaaaaargh!
OK, well did anyone find the listening and reading parts relatively easy?

Listening: They spoke so slowly it was ridiculous.

Reading: A bit more challenging but anyway, still quite easy. Who laughed at the article about the man slapping someone in school? :P

Translations: Again, slightly more difficult but even so, it wasn't a total disaster. The French -> English was good, although I struggled on a few words. The sentences were again a bit trickier and I did mess up the last one but I think I've still got a few marks on the question.

Essay: Well I did the author question (12a) about relationships with an individual. Not the best question I was hoping for, I was looking for something more to do with the themes. I worry that I haven't truly "analysed" the relationships, but I tried my best...

Overall: I think this was an easy exam in general, which means high grade boundaries and more dependence on grade allocation on the essay.......Damn......

I actually found it quite challenging in places, which is actually really worrying.. especially as I found the German exam so straight forward :s-smilie:

French: Listening... Ex 1 on wind energy that was fairly straight forward, next one on pirating you had to listen a bit more carefully but the answers were there... although I'd be interested to know what you all put for them. For the five correct ones I put: There were 22 arrested, they were all minors (I didn't know whether jeunes would classify as a minor or not and they said the youngest was 14 or something... but not sure on that one), they could access things from distance, the hacked things didn't have any security and they'd go to prison. The third listening exercise on the underlining one I put l'Afrique, dans le banlieue (although I put this as plural - do you think that'll matter?), then dans les champs as where he worked - didn't really get that one and then the other one I have forgotten. Hm...
Then the fourth one on genetically modified things and jellyfish... when I saw the title I though oh ****... then actually surprisingly straight forward.

Reading was a bit varied.
That exercise on violence in schools took me a while to get :P I was very tired. That's my excuse! Share answers on that? What did you put for the last one about it being the fault of the parents? I put vrai because it went on about legal responsibility or something in the text?
The other one on filling in the words I've just released I got communique and debat mixed up. Fantastic. Then the longer reading was fine...

Translation into English was quite tricky in areas and then final translations alright. Essay was not good though... I didn't like the questions and did the same one on the relationships of two characters.
Reply 99
aj-star
I found it my HARDEST exam so far!
The listening was ok, the reading was very VERY difficult- the translation from French to English was bordering impossible for me! I need a B in it to get into York, and now I KNOW that is definitely not happening :frown:

:console: you never know, you might have done well

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending