The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Bubbles*de*Milo
Srsly WTF?! :lolwut:

It's not exactly an in demand skill; driving. Loads of adults can. You can get advanced violin tuition for the same price as driving lessons. Whyyyyy?

Because your paying for an hours tuition, an hours worth of petrol, and costs towards the purchase/maintenance of the car.

But yeah, they're not cheap.
Reply 2
Cost of petrol, cost of road tax, cost of insurance? Dunno.
Mine are going up from £22 to £23 next week. ;o
Reply 3
Petrol, instructor, the car....
Reply 4
Petrol costs, insurance... that can all be quite expensive. I agree that it's excessive though.
Reply 5
because petrol costs a stupid amount
my driving lessons were a reasonable price i thought, £18 for an hour, £34 for two hours.
and i had 40 hours. so its not like i got ripped off in another way or anything :smile:
Cars so expensive to run these days, I guess. Fuel, tax, MOT, wear and tear (a lot from leaners). Then add the tuition.
Reply 7
I guess insurance is too high for the cars on which you learn? + the trainer needs some more + Petrol is expensive - You haven't enough money = too expensive
Reply 8
Because people are willing to pay, almost everyone wants to drive, and they need a way to learn.
Insurance, wear and tear (particually on wheels/tires), instructers time, fuel, tax. What most people don't factor in is the time wasted driving from pupil to pupil which brings the instructors average earnings per hour down even further.
Reply 10
Bubbles*de*Milo
Srsly WTF?! :lolwut:

It's not exactly an in demand skill; driving. Loads of adults can do it. You can get advanced violin tuition for the same price as driving lessons. Whyyyyy?

Urgh, I know right! I mean it's like I'm paying £10.50 per hour and being taught by this ridiculously weedy man. I mean the man is a liabilty, the other day he chastised me for going too qucikly and as soon as my lesson ends and he drives off, he punctures the ******* tyres. And I am paying out of my own money since my parents didn't want me to get driving lessons in the first place! URGH!!! Sometimes I come out of that car and just feel like going all Rambo on his ass :mad2:
Reply 11
The lessons are expensive, although to a certain extent, I can see why.
Driving tests though - I've never been able to understand why they're so expensive. It's my car, my petrol, my insurance.
New question: How many lessons did it take you guys to pass?
sango
Urgh, I know right! I mean it's like I'm paying £10.50 per hour and being taught by this ridiculously weedy man. I mean the man is a liabilty, the other day he chastised me for going too qucikly and as soon as my lesson ends and he drives off, he punctures the ******* tyres. And I am paying out of my own money since my parents didn't want me to get driving lessons in the first place! URGH!!! Sometimes I come out of that car and just feel like going all Rambo on his ass :mad2:

£10.50 an hour is cheaper than anything I've seem tbh.. (who who?)
Not really. Microlight lessons are ~£100 per hour. Light aeroplane lessons are ~£150 per hour. Helicopter lessons are ~£300 per hour.

Cars are cheap in comparison, most people with jobs can afford £25 a week.
Reply 15
sango

£10.50 hour who the hell are you doing it with

mine is 20
My instructor hires the car, he said it works out cheaper than buying, and he's got to make a living too and I pay £20/hour
Reply 17
Bubbles*de*Milo
£10.50 an hour is cheaper than anything I've seem tbh.. (who who?)

AA Driving instructors...
http://www.theaa.com/driving-school/p-search-ds-learn.jsp

Though I warn you it's currently a half-price offer so I will be paying £21 per hour every first and second lesson. Every third, fourth and fifth lesson, I will be paying £10.50. I guess I have a good deal but will still be pretty expensive in the long run. Especially since I can't drive for **** :erm:
They have to pay insurance to teach people to drive in case they crash!
Reply 19
i know it takes the piss, i really want to drive as well but where am i gonna find 20 quid every week for lessons lol

ah well i'll continue to pretend i'm 12 so i get on buses and **** for free, brap to me

Latest

Trending

Trending