The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
goldfish1992
b is -1 how can it be 3????

B wasn't -1. A=2, B=-3 and C=1, depending on the order of the fractions. f'(1) is the differentiation, then I got 3 when I put x=1, not -1. I don't understand where a -1 has come from, I guess you must have made a mistake there :confused:
richie_1_5
Right, well for the cost, I did V = 12000 / at + 1 from the statement for part b.

v = 9,000 when t = 2

9000 = 12000 / 2a + 1 so 2a+1 = 4/3, then a = 1/6

after four years, V = 12000 / 5 / 3
V = 36000/5 = £7200. Any argument against this AnonyMatt?

I think your proof by contradiction's better than mine, you'll definitely have that right, it's far more clearer than mine. I might get something, but yours makes perfect sense. Nicely written I gotta say :smile:

You even got the 1/33 and 157.38 in question 3b, f'(1) = 3 for 1b and for the vectors, 3i-6k? If you have then I am going to feel so good about this :biggrin:

Agree with 7200. Dunno what I did. Must have made a slight mistake, cause I got k = 1/8.

Don't think I got that vector either. Ugh. I'm so **** at multiplying. -_-
Reply 22
AnonyMatt
Agree with 7200. Dunno what I did. Must have made a slight mistake, cause I got k = 1/8.

Don't think I got that vector either. Ugh. I'm so **** at multiplying. -_-

I'm sure you did fine overall though, if most of our answers match then we've not done too badly. I think I could have as much as 72/75, could have been full marks if not for screwing up 7b. But how did your FP1 go? :smile:
richie_1_5
B wasn't -1. A=2, B=-3 and C=1, depending on the order of the fractions. f'(1) is the differentiation, then I got 3 when I put x=1, not -1. I don't understand where a -1 has come from, I guess you must have made a mistake there :confused:

when i compared x^2 to work out b i had

1 = A + B

as A is 2 then

1-2 = -1

hence b = -1
Q1-
a) -3/(X-2) + 2/(x-2)^2 + 2/x

Pretty sure this is wrong though =[
b) 16 .... wrong as well =[

Q2- normal = -4

therefore equation = 4x + y = 2

Q3 - 138.6 , 221.4

b) i - 13sin(x-67.4)

ii- Noo idea :frown:

Q4 - Some how i got pi/2 multiplied by pi/12
Not too sure where I went wrong here =[
Ended up with 0.411

Q5. 1 - x/8 - x^2/123

then I think I was supposed to put this equal to (1 - x/4)^2... but I didnt :frown:

Q6. managed to do this :smile:

b) Got P = 2/3 and 1/2 but went pretty wrong from here :frown:

Q7 -( x^4lnx)/4 - (x^4)/16 + K

b) 0.3 , which im pretty sure is right because everyone else had this answer :smile:

Q8 - Somehow even though Ive never been able to do these I managed to figure this one out!

dv/dt = -kV^2

1/V =kt + c

therefore V = 12000/kt + 1 ( in this case at + 1 )

As C = 12000

c) 7200 - pretty certain this is definatley correct

9. a) Angle = 48.9 =s

b) i - -i-2j+7k

ii- 2i-2j+k+ lamda(-i-2j+7k)

c) mew = 4 lamda = -1

Q10. I square rooted both sides to get (a+b)^2 = 2(ab)

then I divided both sides by two... then I got stuck, so I gave up ...

If anyone one has similar answers then woo hoo :P Didn't do as bad as I expected hopefully but i still havnt done very well... but, its all over now :smile:
to work out 7 b) to work out at the end was it 1/4 integral 1/ -1 u^5 3u^4
Reply 26
goldfish1992
when i compared x^2 to work out b i had

1 = A + B

as A is 2 then

1-2 = -1

hence b = -1

Okay, you went wrong via the following.

-1 = A + B. the coefficient was -1, not 1. At the top, it had 8 - x - x^2, hence the coefficient would be negative.

-1 = A + B, you're correct by saying A=2

-1 = 2 + B, leaving B = -3.

And as for the integral, you're probably right, but I went to hell on that question so I'm not sure.
Reply 27
I recon it was brilliant,
Got proof wrong, i cba to learn them tbh :L
The Depreciateion one wa a bit dodgy sat start but go thtere in end.

Gay thini wrote down the wrogn equation for intergration by parts =/

ahh well think i got my A overall :P
Reply 28
AnonyMatt, how did you find FP1? These were my thoughts:

Proof by induction - nice and simple, easy 6 marks.

Values of lambda for matrix to be singular, finding the inverse matrix and simultaneous equations - again very easy.

Quadratic equation with new roots - I found the new quadratic (9x^2 -26x +16 = 0 if I remember correctly) by trial and error in my head, but didn't show ANY workings. So I hope they'll award all 8 marks just for writing the right answer.

Partial fractions - totally messed it up, went back at the end but didn't have time to finish. Probably only gained a few method marks.

Logarithmic differentiation - did the first part but not the second.

Matrix transformation - did the 1st and 2nd parts but not the 3rd.

Differentiation from 1st principles - very easy 6 marks.

Manipulation of complex numbers and finding the locus - seemed to get a strange answer which didn't make sense. Probably gained the method marks but got the answer wrong.

Might be something else which I've forgotten...

I'm hoping for about 45 out of 75 which is a grade C, I'm going to resit next year as I'm doing my AS's this year and am returning to college next year. I'll be happy with an initial grade C considering I did FP1 a year early.
Reply 29
Hmm
i think i completely failed this :frown: I need atleast a C
Adding up my marks, i think i got 41 If this isnt a C then sh**
whatajoker
Hmm
i think i completely failed this :frown: I need atleast a C
Adding up my marks, i think i got 41 If this isnt a C then sh**

I'm looking at the examiners' report from last year and a C was actually 41 marks :p: so you may be in luck!

http://www.wjec.co.uk/uploads/publications/9599.pdf
BA1
AnonyMatt, how did you find FP1? These were my thoughts:

Proof by induction - nice and simple, easy 6 marks.

Values of lambda for matrix to be singular, finding the inverse matrix and simultaneous equations - again very easy.

Quadratic equation with new roots - I found the new quadratic (9x^2 -26x +16 = 0 if I remember correctly) by trial and error in my head, but didn't show ANY workings. So I hope they'll award all 8 marks just for writing the right answer.

Partial fractions - totally messed it up, went back at the end but didn't have time to finish. Probably only gained a few method marks.

Logarithmic differentiation - did the first part but not the second.

Matrix transformation - did the 1st and 2nd parts but not the 3rd.

Differentiation from 1st principles - very easy 6 marks.

Manipulation of complex numbers and finding the locus - seemed to get a strange answer which didn't make sense. Probably gained the method marks but got the answer wrong.

Might be something else which I've forgotten...

I'm hoping for about 45 out of 75 which is a grade C, I'm going to resit next year as I'm doing my AS's this year and am returning to college next year. I'll be happy with an initial grade C considering I did FP1 a year early.

I don't know why everyone is saying the proof by induction question was easy, it was one of the worst questions they can ask you. :p:
But I found it easy.

Differentiation from first principles came out quite easily.

The matrix question was easy, but I probably have made some calculation errors, I always do.

I did the complex number manipulation to find the modulus and argument twice, and got two different answers. The first one had no real component though so I went with the second one.

Matrix transformations question was alright too, except for the last part. I managed to get an answer, but it looked weird.

The partial fractions question was alright. You had to write out the first 3 terms to see what actually cancelled.
My final answer was out by a factor of 2 though I think. I just wrote 4 instead of 2 on the bottom and then my fraction cancelled down to what was given. I'm hoping I just expanded incorrectly at some point and lost that 2.

Umm, I hated the last question. I was so mad. I finished the paper in 50mins so the rest of the time I spent on that question. I didn't get anywhere with it. I could NOT get expressions for u and v in x and y. It was BALLS. And because of that I couldn't do the rest...

I had to leave the roots of polynomials question once I started it because I was looking at the expanded form and I just wasn't feeling it. :p:
I came back to it though and managed to get it all in terms of ab and a+b, and in the end I got a nasty looking quadratic. Something like
x^2 + 16x/9 + 34/15 = 0
I actually wrote underneath it "This looks wrong. Ugh."
A friend of mine got the same though, I think. Well, the 16/9 part anyway.

I found the logarithmic differentiation alright. The last part was easy too, it's quite a common question. You needed to find f''(x) and show that it was < 0 for x = 1/e, which was the stationary value.
I was freaking out though because it wasn't > 0 for me. I found f''(x) over and over and couldn't see what I'd done wrong.
After a while I just wrote down the expression and said it was < 0. :p:
But then later on I came back and I put it in my calculator like 6 different ways, and then it finally gave me a negative answer. :p:

I think I've got a maximum of 65/75 (unlikely), but at least 55/75.
I got an A in January anyway, but I wanted >90%. Not going to happen now!
Reply 32
Anyone got FP2 or FP3 next.. Thursday isn't it?
Reply 33
I found the C4 ok, hopefully 90+ ums, though i made a few mistakes, (integrated wrong!! :facepalm:)

I resat FP1 from january - i got a B. This time round i found it better, the last question however was AWFUL, for part b) i got something like u=v, this looks wrong. Part c) i've never seen this type of question before so left it.

Next week I've got M3, FP2 and FP3 - not looking forward to FP3.., i've not had time to revise for this properly yet. I'd better starty now :eek3:
ilock
I found the C4 ok, hopefully 90+ ums, though i made a few mistakes, (integrated wrong!! :facepalm:)

I resat FP1 from january - i got a B. This time round i found it better, the last question however was AWFUL, for part b) i got something like u=v, this looks wrong. Part c) i've never seen this type of question before so left it.

Next week I've got M3, FP2 and FP3 - not looking forward to FP3.., i've not had time to revise for this properly yet. I'd better starty now :eek3:

richie_1_5
Anyone got FP2 or FP3 next.. Thursday isn't it?

I've got M3, S3, FP2 and FP3.

FP3 is the one I'll have trouble with because i self taught it. I hope we're not asked to do any polar curve sketching.
And I hope the reduction formulae question is nice!
Reply 35
AnonyMatt
I've got M3, S3, FP2 and FP3.

FP3 is the one I'll have trouble with because i self taught it. I hope we're not asked to do any polar curve sketching.
And I hope the reduction formulae question is nice!

I think FP3 is much easier than FP2, I self taught all my 3 FP modules. Found FP1 the hardest, didn't have the heart to resit!

I don't like the functions questions where you have to sketch graphs, and the conic questions with hyperbolas seem impossible to me. And on FP3, I don't mind reduction formulae, although when they ask to find I4I_4 or something I keep making errors. Don't like some of the weird series questions though, like the one on the P6 2005 paper.
richie_1_5
I think FP3 is much easier than FP2, I self taught all my 3 FP modules. Found FP1 the hardest, didn't have the heart to resit!

I don't like the functions questions where you have to sketch graphs, and the conic questions with hyperbolas seem impossible to me. And on FP3, I don't mind reduction formulae, although when they ask to find I4I_4 or something I keep making errors. Don't like some of the weird series questions though, like the one on the P6 2005 paper.

FP1 is definitely the hardest module with WJEC.
It annoys me when everyone on here say "Ooooh FP1 is soooooooo easy" but that's 'cause they're not with WJEC, and FP1 comes after C2 for them...

I love FP3. Definitely the easier of the 2, but I still feel a little 'lost' sometimes, because I've had no guidance for it.
LOVE hyperbolic functions (after I did those, I 'got into' trig). :p:
Reduction formulae I love (as with any calculus) but I've not had enough practice.

Series questions are what I'm most worried about. I always seem to do them wrong!
Reply 37
AnonyMatt
FP1 is definitely the hardest module with WJEC.
It annoys me when everyone on here say "Ooooh FP1 is soooooooo easy" but that's 'cause they're not with WJEC, and FP1 comes after C2 for them...

I love FP3. Definitely the easier of the 2, but I still feel a little 'lost' sometimes, because I've had no guidance for it.
LOVE hyperbolic functions (after I did those, I 'got into' trig). :p:
Reduction formulae I love (as with any calculus) but I've not had enough practice.

Series questions are what I'm most worried about. I always seem to do them wrong!

FP1 just after C2? Wow, some exam boards have their difficulty levels a bit screwed up if that's the case. I'd laugh if I heard someone say FP1 was easy after what I've been through with it!

Doing the curved surface questions and can't do question 6 on this paper. I'm really struggling with this one, I've tried about 10 different ways and nothing seems to work :frown:
richie_1_5
FP1 just after C2? Wow, some exam boards have their difficulty levels a bit screwed up if that's the case. I'd laugh if I heard someone say FP1 was easy after what I've been through with it!

Doing the curved surface questions and can't do question 6 on this paper. I'm really struggling with this one, I've tried about 10 different ways and nothing seems to work :frown:

Did you try A = 2pi S(0,2) 0.5x^2(sqrt(1+x^2)) dx ?
Reply 39
AnonyMatt
Did you try A = 2pi S(0,2) 0.5x^2(sqrt(1+x^2)) dx ?

Yeah that's right :smile: but then after the substitution x = sinh u (which I assume it wants for part b) I end up getting

πosinh12sinh2ucosh2udu\displaystyle \pi \int_o^{sinh^{-1}2} sinh^2 u cosh^2 u du which is damn near impossible to integrate. This is evil :confused:

Latest

Trending

Trending