The Student Room Group

About the FP2 syllabus

Hi everyone
I'm slightly confused about the FP2 syllabus. I'm doing Further Maths just by examinations so I'm just self teaching this whole lot of stuff.
Now, I do rely on the books my school provides me. I've been using the edexcel ones (bright colours, random pics lol ) apparently they're from 2009.
The problem is ,though, that I was actually doing some past papers and noticed they had some topics which are not mentioned in this book.
So basically I know there has been a renovation of the specs but as this is not crucial nor important to me I'm not really bothered to waste time on that (I'm doing my proper exams in the meanwhile)

So if anybody could confirm the syllabus, I'd truly appreciate it.
My book covers:
inequalities
series
further complex numbers
first order differential equations
second order differnetial equations
maclaurin and taylor series
polar coordinates
Reply 1
the book covers everything you need to know, there is one/no past paper (i dont know if there was one last year or not), there is (i think) a practice paper and a mock paper but these arent checked particularly well so may have a small amount of wrong content, all other papers will be the old syllabus, good luck thursday
Reply 2
abbii
the book covers everything you need to know,

So I definitely don't need to study conics, intrinsic coordinates and hyperbolic functions right?

About the paper, it was the one from Jan 2010. I'd say half of it is about hyperbolic functions :\

abbii
good luck thursday

Reply 3
I did OCR, but I'm sure FP2 must be longer than that! I had to do double the work for FP2, I'm sure there MUST be hyperbolics atleast and possible some more integration/reduction formulae!
Reply 4
hyperbolics was in FP1 so they can assume knowledge and test you on it
we dont need to know conics or intrinsic coordinates (i dont even know what they are)
and i didnt know they did January FP2 exams
Reply 5
There's only one functional FP2 past paper for the new spec.; June 2009. There are also 2 practice papers (on the CD) and a specimen paper (on the website).

Hyperbolic functions don't come up until FP3.
Reply 6
davidcarvalho
Hi everyone
I'm slightly confused about the FP2 syllabus. I'm doing Further Maths just by examinations so I'm just self teaching this whole lot of stuff.
Now, I do rely on the books my school provides me. I've been using the edexcel ones (bright colours, random pics lol ) apparently they're from 2009.
The problem is ,though, that I was actually doing some past papers and noticed they had some topics which are not mentioned in this book.
So basically I know there has been a renovation of the specs but as this is not crucial nor important to me I'm not really bothered to waste time on that (I'm doing my proper exams in the meanwhile)

My book covers:
inequalities
series
further complex numbers
polar coordinates

http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocuments/GCE%20New%20GCE/UA024850%20GCE%20in%20Mathematics%20issue%202%20180510.pdf

Page 49
davidcarvalho
Hi everyone

My book covers:
inequalities
series
further complex numbers
polar coordinates

Basically, FP2 has only been sat once (no jan exams) The old FP1 syllabus had the DEs on it and the old FP2 was like parts of our FP3.

You are using the correct book
Reply 8
Thanks everybody I really appreciate that.
Now it's time to work on these :P

Latest