The Student Room Group

homesickness- It's bound to happen

hello everyone, I got ok AS grades an these next few weeks I imagine will be a bit crazy, applications, worrying and *****. anyway, If I do go to uni, I don't want loads of people taking the piss; I am a male and I like doing manly things :cool: but I can tell I will probably get heavily homesick to start with. I imagine that most people will understand this as I generally like where I am at the moment, but I feel as though with the people who really want to get away won't, and I may feel alienated from them. so, just a general subject, who is thinking what I am?
Reply 1
stokedasagoat
hello everyone, I got ok AS grades an these next few weeks I imagine will be a bit crazy, applications, worrying and *****. anyway, If I do go to uni, I don't want loads of people taking the piss; I am a male and I like doing manly things :cool: but I can tell I will probably get heavily homesick to start with. I imagine that most people will understand this as I generally like where I am at the moment, but I feel as though with the people who really want to get away won't, and I may feel alienated from them. so, just a general subject, who is thinking what I am?

dont worry 90% of people feel home sick in the first week but after that when you make new friends and are used to your surroundings you will be fine.
I'm starting to worry about missing my cats but I always miss them,even if I go away for a few days so...

I was sat in my room earlier thinking,"My god I only have a week and a bit left here..."...

I like my nice comfortable life with no money worries and everything done for me:frown:
Reply 3
Yeah everyone will feel homesick.

I personally cannot wait to get out of the house but I know I will still feel a bit homesick
Reply 4
Best way to get over being home sick is just to throw yourself into the new surroundings and experiences. Ironically, feelings about homesickness are one of the things that may bring you closer to new friends - I know it did in my case!!:smile: The big thing is resisting the temptation to go home early - give it a chance and stick it out, you will feel a lot better for coming through it:smile:
Just had my best friend round at the house for a couple of hours and I am going to miss her sooo much. Plus theres my family and whatnot. But yeah no worries,bring it on and chin up! :smile:
Reply 6
cherrychocolate
I'm starting to worry about missing my cats but I always miss them,even if I go away for a few days so...

I'm like that too! Mine are old and i've grown up with them so if anything happened to them while i was away i don't know what i would do :frown: :redface:
im feelin homesick already and i aint even gone yet! i said all my goodbyes 2 most of my friends on saturday as i wont be seeing them again for a while now :frown:
Reply 8
it gets easier after a while.

I still sometimes get homesick- usually when i've been away for about 6-7 weeks and am pissed off with my surroundings.
Everybody will feel homesick, but like everybody else has said: the best way is to get involved and to make friends and have fun. I know I'll definately be homesick when I go to uni, but I know as soon as I've made friends, it'll be fine.
Reply 10
If you are homesick, then don't worry. Try not to go home too soon though, or you'll feel you don't fit in and get more homesick!

If it does get really bad there will be someone to talk to at the uni about it.
Reply 11
I've only ever felt homesick once, when I was ill with an absolute humdinger of a cold, and staying in Stratford-upon-Avon on my own. I think it was just the fact that I didn't have anyone to look after me.

I snuggled up in bed at about 8pm, slept right through to 8am, and felt a LOT better when I woke up. So... don't worry about it, it gets easier with time. Just try and keep your mind off home - sitting there crying down the phone to your mum won't make you feel any better in the long run.
I know I will get homesick, but I'm glad my uni is a long way from home because it means I won't be able to just go back when I feel like it and will have to just stick it out and come through it. I also know there are various pastoral services at the uni if it gets bad. Sure it'll be okay anyway, and at the end of the first year we probably won't want to go home!
Reply 13
i have only been homesick onc eb4..on guide camp when one of the people in my tent...cut off the tip of her thumb...another girl went with her to the hospital....and it was just me and one other girl left...we were all really upset...and i dunno i guess that went into homesickness....i think i will miss my guinea pigs LOADS....oh man..can't deal with not having pets....and feeling lonely sitting in my room at first....but i do only live 45mins away so .....well obv i won't go rushing home....but i can still meet up if i want to
Reply 14
stokedasagoat
I am a male and I like doing manly things :cool:

I'm not sure what you are saying there or how it fits in with being homesick but.... LOL! :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending