The Student Room Group

AQA ECON UNIT 3 and 4

Poll

How did you find it?

It's 7 days till the economics exams are over and i was thinking of using this thread to discuss techniques or tips for the exam. From AS i've picked up that using the data is crucial, and the micro exam was centred on the price mechanism and market failure, government intervention+Failure. Anyone got tips for the a2 exams, what's changed/stayed the same in the exam technique this time round?

Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm doing both next week too. nervous!

From looking at the specimen marks schemes I'm going to try my best to remember these points.

Question for 5 marks - put 3 short points about data - 1 judgement and 1 piece of data for each

Questions for 10 marks - define the key words/concepts, write 4 points (2 for each part of the question if asked to describe an effect of something on 2 things), include a graph

Questions for 25 marks - Use references to the sources/data, include 1/2 graphs, give examples of points, write at least 4 main points and evaluate/expand, come to a conclusion for the top marks

I'm self-taught so if anyone wants to correct me feel free :smile:
has anyone tried to predict what will come up?
Do you think they're unlikely to ask about similar topics to in the speciment paper?
Reply 2
AS1Student
I'm doing both next week too. nervous!

From looking at the specimen marks schemes I'm going to try my best to remember these points.

Question for 5 marks - put 3 short points about data - 1 judgement and 1 piece of data for each

Questions for 10 marks - define the key words/concepts, write 4 points (2 for each part of the question if asked to describe an effect of something on 2 things), include a graph

Questions for 25 marks - Use references to the sources/data, include 1/2 graphs, give examples of points, write at least 4 main points and evaluate/expand, come to a conclusion for the top marks

I'm self-taught so if anyone wants to correct me feel free :smile:
has anyone tried to predict what will come up?
Do you think they're unlikely to ask about similar topics to in the speciment paper?

http://www.tutor2u.net/economics/presentations/workshops2010/A25/player.html i found this if it helps. For the 5 marks question, my teacher told me use two points from the data that compares the set of data and quote figures for each point made. I'm more worried about the other section of the exam, the 15 and 25 marker part as we won't have the data to for support.
Reply 3
yunghamz
http://www.tutor2u.net/economics/presentations/workshops2010/A25/player.html i found this if it helps. For the 5 marks question, my teacher told me use two points from the data that compares the set of data and quote figures for each point made. I'm more worried about the other section of the exam, the 15 and 25 marker part as we won't have the data to for support.

Thanks for the link! has your teacher suggested what might come up in the exam at all?
in the mark scheme for the 5 marker it says 'add one mark for each valid point made and one mark for the supporting reference to the data' so surely that means a maximum of 2 marks per point? so to make sure i get the full 5 marks I'm gonna do 3 points with data.
Yeah I'm a bit worried about that too, but don't forget that we have 3 options to choose from for the last bit so surely one of them will suit us :smile: and also the grade boundaries are v low!
Reply 4
AS1Student
Thanks for the link! has your teacher suggested what might come up in the exam at all?
in the mark scheme for the 5 marker it says 'add one mark for each valid point made and one mark for the supporting reference to the data' so surely that means a maximum of 2 marks per point? so to make sure i get the full 5 marks I'm gonna do 3 points with data.
Yeah I'm a bit worried about that too, but don't forget that we have 3 options to choose from for the last bit so surely one of them will suit us :smile: and also the grade boundaries are v low!

Yeah, the grade boundaries are shockingly low, i hope they stay low. I might be wrong about the 5 marker, i havn't checked the mark scheme yet just been taking advice from my teacher. Ermm for the unit 4, my teacher said something on FDI might come up as it hasn't come up for some time so we concentrated on that for a bit, i don't know about the micro exam.

BTW how many monopoly diagrams should we learn, there are lots!
Reply 5
yunghamz
Yeah, the grade boundaries are shockingly low, i hope they stay low. I might be wrong about the 5 marker, i havn't checked the mark scheme yet just been taking advice from my teacher. Ermm for the unit 4, my teacher said something on FDI might come up as it hasn't come up for some time so we concentrated on that for a bit, i don't know about the micro exam.

BTW how many monopoly diagrams should we learn, there are lots!

erm I'm just learning 2. Yesterday I wrote out all the unit 3 essay questions that could come up with bullet pointed answers, so hopefully that will be a help in the exam.
I would love there to be a 25 marker on growth, that would make me so happy lol!
how did you do in unit 1 and unit 2?
Reply 6
AS1Student
erm I'm just learning 2. Yesterday I wrote out all the unit 3 essay questions that could come up with bullet pointed answers, so hopefully that will be a help in the exam.
I would love there to be a 25 marker on growth, that would make me so happy lol!
how did you do in unit 1 and unit 2?

For unit 1 i got 98 ums and 88 for unit 2 but part of that is due to exam technique. I'm worried about the unit 3 exam tomorrow though, so many graphs yet so little time and i haven't cracked the exam technique yet :eek3: .
Reply 7
Econ 3 should be fine, I only need 39 UMS for a B, 79 UMS for an A.

Need a B for uni, so it'll take something big to stop me getting that.
My previous marks have been 87, 80 and 75 so an A is quite possible as well.
Reply 8
bcfcdan
Econ 3 should be fine, I only need 39 UMS for a B, 79 UMS for an A.

Need a B for uni, so it'll take something big to stop me getting that.
My previous marks have been 87, 80 and 75 so an A is quite possible as well.

Yeah i've been told the grade boundaries are low, but i need a high grade in order to get into my firm as i don't think i've done very well in my other exams. Do you have any idea what could come up? what would be the chances of the theory of production coming up?
Reply 9
I've revised:

the Oligopoly/Monopoly/Contestable markets section.
Supply of Labour
Demand of Labour (Found this quite hard)
Labour Market Failure

Going to look at all the graphs to make sure I know them, and then look at the past papers, because I'm not too sure what you actually need to write about. (if that makes sense)

The revision notes and presentations on here are very good - http://tutor2u.com/
Reply 10
bcfcdan
I've revised:

the Oligopoly/Monopoly/Contestable markets section.
Supply of Labour
Demand of Labour (Found this quite hard)
Labour Market Failure

Going to look at all the graphs to make sure I know them, and then look at the past papers, because I'm not too sure what you actually need to write about. (if that makes sense)

The revision notes and presentations on here are very good - http://tutor2u.com/

Yeahh, the demand for labour is a pain in the arse. I've also done the same and also revised market failure+government intervention as i've noticed that some questions tend to refer to the government's actions.
Reply 11
Yeah I'm going to go over that as well.

Can't wait to get this over and done with. You doing Econ 3 and 4?
Reply 12
bcfcdan
Yeah I'm going to go over that as well.

Can't wait to get this over and done with. You doing Econ 3 and 4?

Yeah I'm doing unit 4 , i can't wait till it's over aswell, the eco exams are my last exams and after that i'm a free man :smile:
Reply 13
I'm lucky then, only got Unit 3 to do, we did Unit 4 in January!
Reply 14
bcfcdan
I'm lucky then, only got Unit 3 to do, we did Unit 4 in January!

:yikes: The AQA schedules are mad :colonhash: , I wish we done it in january, i just don't understand why both the units are in the same week when in other subjects each unit exam is in a different week :frown: . Oh well. Good luck for tomorrow!.
Reply 15
Haha, cheers you too.
Reply 16
i hope it's a nice paper!!!
i also wish there was multiple choice hehehe
Reply 17
yunghamz
:yikes: The AQA schedules are mad :colonhash: , I wish we done it in january, i just don't understand why both the units are in the same week when in other subjects each unit exam is in a different week :frown: . Oh well. Good luck for tomorrow!.

I was thinking this today, why is there only a day inbetween them?! pretty harsh
I couldn't have done unit 3 in jan as i did unit 1 and 2 in jan, i started self-teaching it last september so not had long to learn it all!
yunghamz

:five: it would have been a lot easier, doing one of the units in Jan.

Good luck everyone. I don't think im going to do well. ;/
Reply 19
AS1Student
I was thinking this today, why is there only a day inbetween them?! pretty harsh
I couldn't have done unit 3 in jan as i did unit 1 and 2 in jan, i started self-teaching it last september so not had long to learn it all!

I was doing retakes at that time aswell :frown: , but oh well GOOD LUCK!:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending