The Student Room Group

Best A levels for Politics degree?

Scroll to see replies

History would have definitely been a big help for me.
I think they would respect a diverse social science such as Geography if you ask me.
Reply 22
I'm looking to do the same thing at uni.. I looked into what to choose and did English Lit, Maths, History and Politics. I have now just finished my AS Levels and will be dropping Maths. I would definately choose English and History.
Wolfos
For those suggesting English Lit: I already have a B in English Lang and Lit, which isn't quite the same, but it's close enough.

I never intended to pick Politics as an A level because the degree teaches you from the start anyway. I know the course at Oxford is called Politics, Philosophy and Ethics or something like that, which is why I toyed with the idea of adding Philosophy to my A level selection but I might do Maths to give me a bit of variety in my choices alongside History and Economics. What other universities apart from the obvious top 3 do good politics/humanities degrees? Again, thanks for all the replies.

Sheffield has a strong Politics department, Leeds offers a Politics & Parliamentary Studies Degree- if you get onto that you can do a year working in Congress & Parliament- I hear they look for evidence of enthusiasm for Politics e.g. through work experience and so on. Birminghams Politics department is said to be fairly good, if your looking for a safety option.
Don't do politics and economics. They are both reasonably soft subjects, which you should be able to waltz if you are half decent. I'd do the latter, and then some more challenging stuff like history, maths and another arts subject. Just make sure you read a lot around the subject, keep up with the news and have plenty of political views. Remember you won't need politics at A-lvl for a degree.
my boyfriend is taking Politics next year, and he took English Lit, English Lang, History and Philosophy and Ethics, then dropped English Lang for A2.

but as people have said, yeah, essay subjects and ones you can get your opinions in are probably best if you're wanting to take pure Politics or something like History and Politics at Uni...
Reply 26
If you want to do PPE, I would say do Politics, Philosophy, Economics and Maths. If they don't offer one of these, substitute in History or a Language.
Original post by breenm
If you want to do PPE, I would say do Politics, Philosophy, Economics and Maths. If they don't offer one of these, substitute in History or a Language.

This thread is 2 years old
I think it depends what you want the politics degree for. If you actually want to be a politician, then maths/further or economics. There actually is an A-Level Government and Politics as far as I know. A language would be good too, if you want to study foreign politics.

Quick Reply

Latest