The Student Room Group

What should I expect?

In 2007 I finished secondary school with 4 A's, 6 B's and a C. Hardly great, I know. Potential excuses are that in 07 40% of people at my school got 5 A*-C's including English and Maths. My school is also in an area regarded as one of the worst boroughs in the UK. Though, to be quite frank, I was a lazy and demotivated ass.

I started Sixth Form and hated it. For whatever reason I took English Combined, Biology, Chemistry and Psychology (I wanted to be a forensic scientist...). I didn't really attend and was failing, so dropped out in February 08.

Here I insert 2 years of doing pretty much nothing. Tried to apply to random courses that appealed to me at that time, such as nursing, and otherwise spent my time scratching my arse, unemployed, and on benefits. (I'm sure I could reword this to make myself sound my appealing, but for you guys I'll be honest.)

At the start of this year I began a level 2 diploma in business just to get off of my arse, so when I applied for A Levels I could actually give some sort of decent explanation as to what I was currently doing.

I've gotten into a college- a crappy, local one at that, but a college nonetheless. I've decided to take Economics, Maths, History and Politics, and am aiming to do a degree in either Economics, Law, or Management afterwards (one step at a time though...).

My questions are:
If I were to do rather well in my A levels (something like AAA/a), given my not-so-glorious past, what sort of unis would I apply for?

Perhaps thinking of this a year in advance is too early, but I just want to know what I can realistically expect. A lot of the top unis want flawless academia, which I know I don't have, but I am willing to put the effort to try and maximise my chances.

Also:
Would my GCSE's be an accurate display of my ability?

From this September it will have been 3 years since I've gotten my grades, and from next (when I apply) it will have been 4, so I'm just curious.

Thanks in advance. Props to those who went through it all (I know it's a bit tl;dr...).
depends on the uni to both :p:

your GCSE are a while back now and well to one thing or another stuff changes, its more important that you get the As first than worry
4 A's, 6 B's and a C are nothing to worry about, they are pretty good, dunno where you get the view that they are poor?

some uni's do look at the school you come from and look at your gcse that way, Durham and St geoges off the top off my head
robinson999
depends on the uni to both :p:

your GCSE are a while back now and well to one thing or another stuff changes, its more important that you get the As first than worry
4 A's, 6 B's and a C are nothing to worry about, they are pretty good, dunno where you get the view that they are poor?

some uni's do look at the school you come from and look at your gcse that way, Durham and St geoges off the top off my head

Well, compared to the sort of GCSE's others who apply to top unis (since that's what I'm aiming for) have, mine aren't too great. I know GCSE's aren't everything to an application, so I'll try and get the grades before I worry about this stuff (keyword = try :rolleyes:)..
uninspirational
Well, compared to the sort of GCSE's others who apply to top unis (since that's what I'm aiming for) have, mine aren't too great. I know GCSE's aren't everything to an application, so I'll try and get the grades before I worry about this stuff (keyword = try :rolleyes:)..

depends how you look at it :p: given there will be people with 10 A* there always is, its more important to know the uni's you are aiming for as each are different and want different stuff

Latest

Trending

Trending