The Student Room Group

Orthoptics & Radiography

Hey guys,

Well what it is, I want to do either orthoptics or radiography. Now, only 2 uni's offer the orthoptics degree (sheffield and liverpool). However, if i apply for them and get rejected il have to apply for radiography.

I understand that you're only allowed to write one personal statement.

I was wondering, if i pay UCAS to apply for 5 unis, and apply for orthoptics, using 2 of the 5 choices, can i write my personal statement just for orthoptics and IF i get rejected at both sheffield and liverpool, can i change my personal statement to make it right for radiography, and then reapply for radigraphy using the 3 remaining choices?

Reply 1
just write one personal statement and send it to all. Believe me at times they'll only look at your grades and wont even bother looking at your personal statement.
Reply 2
yup the guys right, one personal statement goes forward to all the unis, so u cant write two!!

i know of people who have got into pharmacy just based on their predicted grades, coz their whole personal statement was based on dentistry, plus with no work experience so chill maar :smile:
Reply 3
dashoo
yup the guys right, one personal statement goes forward to all the unis, so u cant write two!!

i know of people who have got into pharmacy just based on their predicted grades, coz their whole personal statement was based on dentistry, plus with no work experience so chill maar :smile:

dashoo...are you from blackburn by any chance?
I wouldn't apply to orthoptics! trust me
cinderellaaa17

So your bad experience is a basis for no one ever doing orthoptics? :rolleyes:
Reply 6
cinderellaaa17

why would you apply for orthoptics??

Care to go into details/discuss plzzzz??

Im confused between wether to do optometry or orthoptics...forget bout radigraphy nw :P

cheers...
TheSownRose
So your bad experience is a basis for no one ever doing orthoptics? :rolleyes:

I am giving my personal opinion, ofc if he or she is to go with it, I am not goin to stop them. No one told me about it b4 I step foot so I am jus givin ppl advise that I would have liked to hear before i went into it :rolleyes:
Zakir
why would you apply for orthoptics??

Care to go into details/discuss plzzzz??

Im confused between wether to do optometry or orthoptics...forget bout radigraphy nw :P

cheers...

It is a very time consuming course, I am not sure about sheffield but in liverpool, the staffs are very unhelpful, attendence has to be 100%, i mean they take a role in EVERY class, is basically being bac in school. The timetable sucks, it changes everyweek and you are everywhere, everyone else I know has a set timetable, as least that allows you to make plans. You get a week off christmas, a week for easter and 2 weeks for summer and the rest of the holiday while all your friends are goin away to places, you are stuck in placement. Useful resources are very limited with only one book that can give you some decent info. The amount of brain and bones anatomy is more than what they do in medicine and you know what, you will never come across any of it! I mean is up to u, go for orthoptics if you want but optometry is a better choice, less work and higher pay.
cinderellaaa17
I am giving my personal opinion, ofc if he or she is to go with it, I am not goin to stop them. No one told me about it b4 I step foot so I am jus givin ppl advise that I would have liked to hear before i went into it :rolleyes:

But you didn't give them advice, just told them to trust you and not apply to it. :rolleyes:

"There are a lot of work placements, which are quite wearing" is advice. "Don't apply - trust me" is not.

EDIT: Ok, now you have. And yes, optometry is the better choice. :p: (Seriously, we are on set timetables and don't have placements; there is still a lot of anatomy and general biology you need to know, though.) I assume you've left orthoptics since?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 10
TheSownRose
But you didn't give them advice, just told them to trust you and not apply to it. :rolleyes:

"There are a lot of work placements, which are quite wearing" is advice. "Don't apply - trust me" is not.

EDIT: Ok, now you have. And yes, optometry is the better choice. :p: (Seriously, we are on set timetables and don't have placements; there is still a lot of anatomy and general biology you need to know, though.) I assume you've left orthoptics since?

hey guys...

just to say...iv applied for optometry and orthoptics as a backup. optom at manchester and bradford...

i got BBCC at AS and predicted AAB (with a bit of reshuflin of target grades...after talkin to my teachers)...will manchester and bradford accept me if i dont get my target grades...or get ABB or AAC or suma?
Zakir
hey guys...

just to say...iv applied for optometry and orthoptics as a backup. optom at manchester and bradford...

i got BBCC at AS and predicted AAB (with a bit of reshuflin of target grades...after talkin to my teachers)...will manchester and bradford accept me if i dont get my target grades...or get ABB or AAC or suma?

i doubt manchester will be lenient as they are very popular so best to ask their admission tutors to see where they stand. also i thought manchester ask for AAA? bradford has been in clearing for past couple of years and take on many students who got lower than the standard offer of AAB.
Reply 12
I got invited to Sheffield open day but my UCAS track hasnt been updated as to whether they have given me an offer or rejection? I am a bit confused as to whether there will be an interview.

Quick Reply

Latest