The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Extremely dull but not nearly as bad as your TC.
Reply 2
Are you kidding :frown:

Please tell me it all gets better even if you're lying.
Reply 3
It gets better.

(I'm lying)
Reply 4
grr, hope its not too bad...any tips?
Reply 5
Tips?

- Be prepared to work hard. Really hard. There may be times when you'll have to work very late at very short notice and social plans go out of the window. Live with it.
- Appreciate that you may be given some really mundane, demeaning work. The photocopier is your friend.
- Look and act keen, even if you're bored out of your mind. Repeat after me, "I LOVE proof-reading".
- Don't be afraid to ask questions/clarify your instructions. Re-doing that research at 10pm is a real bummer.
- Be commercial. Drafting 93 page letters of advice to a client will get met with a lot of red pen from your boss.
- If you have capacity, ask if anyone has anything you can help with. Disappearing out of the door at 5.30pm whenever everyone else is flat out will make you no friends.
- Be thorough. Typos and grammatical errors make you look like a gimp.
- Enjoy it. You're earning good money at last with zero responsibilities. Trainees are expected to go out on the p*ss all the time and misbehave.
Reply 6
chalks
- Look and act keen, even if you're bored out of your mind. Repeat after me, "I LOVE proof-reading".

Well, I should do; it is my back-up career option, after all. :rolleyes:
Reply 7
It can come as a nasty shock to some. 3 or 4 years of a degree. A year or two at law school. You've been debating the legal issues of the day. Grasping the intricacies of equity. Then suddenly you're checking that all the amendments have been incorporated into an SPA or due diligence report at 2am.
Reply 8
Lol! Thanks for that! What about any tips for the LPC?

Thanks
Reply 9
Its getting better. Its just getting used to feeling like you are back at school again. I don't feel so pessimistic about it now anyway.
Reply 10
Started the lpc on monday at uwe, its been bloody hard work but am totally loving it! :smile:
Reply 11
There are aspects I don't like but overall getting used to it. Not too sure about the school room atmosphere though. i had to write on the blackboard :eek:
Reply 12
you should forget everything you have learnt at undegrad or during CPE...although its helpful having the knowledge of the 7core law modules,,,they sure differ in terms of how they are taught during the LPC

All the best
Reply 13
Yeah there are aspects that im sure we all dont like about it but it has to be done doesnt it...not looking forward to the advocacy workshop we have on friday...have to be filmed and everything...makes the fact that i too was scared of the blackboard on wednesday seem much less scary!! Im just trying to enjoy every moment of it, even though ive got tonnes of work to do....we will get through it!!! :smile:
Reply 14
am going to read my LPC at BPP based in Manchester...anyone know any other good rated law schools for the LPC

I think Cardiff, Nottingham, Staffs, Inns of Court, School of Law and another are rated Excellent...i need help in deciding

Tho i must say i dont want to read it at Staffs due to the rep of the uni itself!!
Reply 15
Think there are only 5 institutions that are continuously rated excellent. Dont think that Staffs is one of them...not sure though. May be worth checking this...
Reply 16
PS - UWE is also rated excellent, continuously....
Reply 17
law society website is the best place to loook. At least if you have a TC you don't have to factor in the cost like the rest of us.
Reply 18
my LPC is being funded by a law firm whom i have secured a training contract with regardless of enetering my final yr at university, just a little curious as to which one to apply to.

..am also contemplating upon whether to take a year out and read my masters (preferably at harvard or stanford law school), am very confused but thanks guys for assisting me with the LPC

all the best
Reply 19
do they not want you to do it at a specific institution?

Latest

Trending

Trending