The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
edd360
Metal can be recycled, you know? The metal used from your 10 year old car may well be used in your first hybrid!

I guess people have told you're not even a very good quality troll haven't they? Is that supposed to be part of the effect or just because you're too dim to be funny?
Reply 21
Tithonius
Ooooh! You are so provokingly irresistable to reply to!

Depending where the car is made and what it is made from (recycling material produces CO2 as well) the manufacturing process contributes between 10% and 40% of what the car's total lifetime CO2 output will be.

Now, in France this output is at the lower end because they have nuclear power BUT those figures don't take into account the CO2 produced in extracting the fuel for the power stations nor the disposal of that fuel nor the construction of the stations themselves. It's a ridiculously complicated matter.

I think in my case I am better re-using than recycling.... If I was in the market for a new car I certainly wouldn't get a hybrid - more likely something like a high efficient diesel such as a BlueMotion VW

So basically a hybrid uses 10-40% of the total CO2 a regular car uses?
Reply 22
Quady
I guess people have told you're not even a very good quality troll haven't they? Is that supposed to be part of the effect or just because you're too dim to be funny?

Construct a grammatically correct sentence and I'll take what you write seriously. Actually, just construct a sentence which makes sense and I'll reply to you.
Reply 23
I did try that super unleaded fuel or whatever the **** it was one time.

Car did seem smoother, but meh.
Reply 24
edd360
So basically a hybrid uses 10-40% of the total CO2 a regular car uses?

No - because it still uses fuel. Normally a petroleum of some sort (spirit or distillate) and stored electricity. The batteries have to be charged and power stations burn fuel!

The 'regular' VW Golf Blue motion achieves 74mpg and emits 99g/km CO2. This is better than the Prius.

It isn't the full story however and I wish manufacturers were forced to put the full CO2 emissions in their vehicle's production in their sales blurb.
Me too. It tastes quite nice.
pugnacitas
The garage was out of regular unleaded so I put £20 of their premium unleaded fuel in (only a few pence more per litre) and it's honestly a different engine.

I'd heard on car forums about its effects and apparently the car needs 2-3 fills for them to be maximised, but just starting the engine and pulling away was so much smoother than the cheap unleaded I got from a supermarket.

It's called the Placebo effect.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but a Mini 1 doesn't have a knock sensor.

The car, doesn't even notice there's different fuel in it, thus won't change the timing to reflect the extra octane in your fuel to maximise a better burn.
Reply 27
Friggerpants
It's called the Placebo effect.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but a Mini 1 doesn't have a knock sensor.

The car, doesn't even notice there's different fuel in it, thus won't change the timing to reflect the extra octane in your fuel to maximise a better burn.

Definitely wasn't a placebo effect. It really is a lot smoother.

I don't know if the One has a knock sensor, but the Cooper S definitely does.
pugnacitas
Definitely wasn't a placebo effect. It really is a lot smoother.

I don't know if the One has a knock sensor, but the Cooper S definitely does.

I'd be VERY VERY surprised if a NASP boggo 1.6 had a knock sensor.
Reply 29
I use a tank of ultimate/optimax/super every 5 or so fill ups on the bike, as the extra detergents in it keep it all happy. But that's a high compression 600cc engine that revs up to 14,500rpm. On a non-turbo car that isn't especially high performance, there's not much point in paying extra for it.
Reply 30
Friggerpants
I'd be VERY VERY surprised if a NASP boggo 1.6 had a knock sensor.

Hmm, maybe I just had some really bad fuel in it before and having some decent fuel that happens to be super unleaded is making me think it's something special, when it's really just standard quality. Although it really does feel different, so maybe a combination of both...
Would it make any difference in an 04 Focus 1.6?
Reply 32
Small engine and non-turbo, same applies really. You might feel some small initial benefit from the cleaning properties, but after that it's pretty negligible.

Now on my old Saab 900 it made a hell of a difference. 2 litre turbo with the boost turned up to 22psi. And no knock sensor or apc unit (long story). On Optimax it flew. On BP ultimate it was a bit more sluggish. On 95 it went rattle rattle rattle cough.
edd360
You guys are destroying our environment, please buy hybrids!

despite the full life costs both financial and environmental of a hybrid vs a modern forced induction diesel ?
The only good hybrid is optimus prime.
Of course it will run better, give you more MPG and your engine will last a lot longer. Why, because ESSO Supreme Synergy in most areas doesn't have Green crap in it. A bio solvent called ethanol! Beware of EN228.
Original post by Tithonius
No - because it still uses fuel. Normally a petroleum of some sort (spirit or distillate) and stored electricity. The batteries have to be charged and power stations burn fuel!

The 'regular' VW Golf Blue motion achieves 74mpg and emits 99g/km CO2. This is better than the Prius.

It isn't the full story however and I wish manufacturers were forced to put the full CO2 emissions in their vehicle's production in their sales blurb.

Forget this CO2 hoax, it is a method of taxation and nothing more.
CO2 is the Greenest gas on the planet! It makes trees and vegetation grow and gives us oxygen. We would all be dead without CO2.
CO2 does not cause global warming. Where is all this heat trapping CO2 on a clear still night when the temperature drops like a stone?
CO2 is around 30% heavier than Nitrogen and oxygen = 99% of our atmosphere.The CO2 falls to the ground, is absorbed by rocks, Oceans and vegetation.
A new kind of science called consensus science (97%) or junk science (100%) has brainwashed those of limited intellect. But the times are a changing. Wise up to a political scam!
Original post by Bio fuels kill
Of course it will run better, give you more MPG and your engine will last a lot longer. Why, because ESSO Supreme Synergy in most areas doesn't have Green crap in it. A bio solvent called ethanol! Beware of EN228.

Original post by Bio fuels kill
Forget this CO2 hoax, it is a method of taxation and nothing more.
CO2 is the Greenest gas on the planet! It makes trees and vegetation grow and gives us oxygen. We would all be dead without CO2.
CO2 does not cause global warming. Where is all this heat trapping CO2 on a clear still night when the temperature drops like a stone?
CO2 is around 30% heavier than Nitrogen and oxygen = 99% of our atmosphere.The CO2 falls to the ground, is absorbed by rocks, Oceans and vegetation.
A new kind of science called consensus science (97%) or junk science (100%) has brainwashed those of limited intellect. But the times are a changing. Wise up to a political scam!

You’ve just bumped a thread from 2010! Please check dates in future.

Thread closed.

Latest

Trending

Trending