The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
do u know its funny u should say that, cos i had a dream last night that i turned up at my flat where i was staying and the freezer only had enough space to fit a packet of frozen peas?!!
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
haha..i'm guessing you'll prob have half a drawer each.
Fleece
haha..i'm guessing you'll prob have half a drawer each.

unless you are he "theiving student" everyone dreads in which case the freezer is open for whatever ur heart desires lmao
I'd hope ill be put with peopel where we can share feezer space better than a big divide of x amount of a draw each, ie if we all like say frozen chips all "chip" in :rofl: and get a big bag, same for fishfingers pizza all that kinda stuff, although I guess for students frozen food is gonna be too expensive?
Reply 5
yeah it is quite expensive..i dont really have anything frozen apart from chicken breasts :biggrin:
Reply 6
eugh i wudnt trust people touching my food! :puke: this is gonna take alot of gettin used to
Reply 7
no me either..its just easier to buy your own stuff in my experience.. If you start buying things joint then someone's gonna get narked that he/she is using too much etc.
Reply 8
yeah the only things i reckon im gonna "share" are like toilet roll and cleaning stuff! Everything else MINE MINE MINE! lol :biggrin:
oo how selfish :P kiddin :smile: xxxxx
Reply 10
Lol, i was wondering because i always end up cooking too much when i make stuff like bolognese and i was wanting to know if i could freeze it coz i thought the freezers would be really little.
they vary from accommodation to accommodation

you want to have separate fridge/freezers, if its one unit then space gets tight for 5
the fridge can get more congested than the freezer

it's important when you come to look for a 2nd year house, they vary even more and I made sure I got big freezer space for my house

Frozen food works out quite good value if you keep a supply of frozen veg/waffles and maybe fish/chicken fillets or some pizzas from the supermarket - when you are in a rush and want something quick you will appreciate that instead of spending loads on crap takeaways

I definitely think it's worth getting bags of frozen veg. Veg is what most students seem to lack in their diet but if you can just boil some in 10 min and throw it onto whatever other meal you're cooking, it helps you keep your veggie portions ticking over.

Students who live in Headingley, check out Jack Fulton's Frozen Foods in Headingley Arndale Centre for good cheap frozen food.
Reply 12
Im planning on getting those little jars of peas and carrots theyll go with anything and they only need heating up.
Reply 13
so many theiving flat mates around! If there's any thieving in my kitchen i'll have to set up a webcam and record the stealing scum! hehehe :biggrin:
Reply 14
I hope I don't get lumped with people who buy 5 tesco ready meals for 4 quid and eat them all the time. I hope people don't complain when I get my wok out or when I make Iranian food!

I usually go to markets to buy my fruit as it is usually much nicer, fresher and cheaper. Also does anyone know if there are any foreign foodstores apart from your usual Asian and African ones? I was just thiking because Leeds population is 3 times that of Newcastle where I live so I was figuring there'd be a bit more variety.
Reply 15
there seems to be alot of foreign food stores and market stalls in leeds but most of the are down side streets so you've really got to look.
Reply 16
Oh in clarence dock there are 2 Fridge/Freezers so each person has one freezer shelf and one n 1/2 frige shelves
Reply 17
Northumbrian
I hope I don't get lumped with people who buy 5 tesco ready meals for 4 quid and eat them all the time. I hope people don't complain when I get my wok out or when I make Iranian food!

I usually go to markets to buy my fruit as it is usually much nicer, fresher and cheaper. Also does anyone know if there are any foreign foodstores apart from your usual Asian and African ones? I was just thiking because Leeds population is 3 times that of Newcastle where I live so I was figuring there'd be a bit more variety.

whats wrong with ready made meals? :frown: what do you expect those who dont enjoy cooking to do? :p:
Reply 18
Seriously I have this huge fear of people eating my food without replacing it or using my stuff and not washing up afterwards (or to be honest not doing washing up at all).

I'll definitely be looking into markets for buying fresh fruit and veg. However, I do like to keep fruit in the fridge to stop it going off so quickly which migjt take up a lot of my fridge quote.
Reply 19
what do you expect those who dont enjoy cooking to do?
Apply for catered halls :P :wink:

Latest