The Student Room Group

Best Unis For Interior Design Degree Courses

I've done some research but i'm still unsure about the difference between Interior Design courses and Interior Architecture courses (BA Hons). They often have the same UCAS code (W250) and there's also Interior Architecture and Design courses too at unis such as NTU. Anyone who's studying these courses know the difference between them?

Also, does anyone recommend any good uni's for Interior design degree courses?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
ntu, mmu, brighton, northumbria, uwic, all meant to be good.
the rest is the location whether fit ur bill or not.
:biggrin:
Reply 2
Interior Design can also be just interior decoration, like colour schemes fabrics etc.
Whereas Interior Architecture (and Design) is more about the space, lighting and form etc. I think it focuses much more on the space and perhaps the psychological experience of a space and much much much less on colour.

I've applied for Interior Architecture and Design at NTU for this year and thats what I got from it.
For me I think that course is brilliant because you also get a year's work placement which is imo invaluable.
But I also applied for Edinburgh Napier, UWICardiff, Brighton, Oxford Brookes.
All those courses I thought were really brilliant, but get course info/prospectuses and go to open days (deffinitely do this!!) as they all have a different take and in the end its you who has to spend 3 or 4 years there. So look at location too!
I originally looked at Westminster too but I didn't want to be in london for uni, everything seemed like you have to travel to do anything at all there... But the good thing about that was that it's Architecture with Interior Design, so you can become a fully qualified Architect but also know Interior Design - i deffinitely would have done that if it wasn't in london.
Also there are a couple of other uni's that do work placements, there's middlesex, and i thought another, but i'm not sure now, there aren't many!

But i would deffinitely suggest go to as many open days as you can and look at ALL of the courses because if you decide you want to do interior architecture, some of the courses may be called interior design, so just read all the course info :smile: and think if there are any locations you really don't want to be, or if you want it city based or campus based :smile: LOTS of factors :smile:

Any more qs, please feel free to ask :smile:
Marissa xx
Reply 3
rissa14
Interior Design can also be just interior decoration, like colour schemes fabrics etc.
Whereas Interior Architecture (and Design) is more about the space, lighting and form etc. I think it focuses much more on the space and perhaps the psychological experience of a space and much much much less on colour.

I've applied for Interior Architecture and Design at NTU for this year and thats what I got from it.
For me I think that course is brilliant because you also get a year's work placement which is imo invaluable.
But I also applied for Edinburgh Napier, UWICardiff, Brighton, Oxford Brookes.
All those courses I thought were really brilliant, but get course info/prospectuses and go to open days (deffinitely do this!!) as they all have a different take and in the end its you who has to spend 3 or 4 years there. So look at location too!
I originally looked at Westminster too but I didn't want to be in london for uni, everything seemed like you have to travel to do anything at all there... But the good thing about that was that it's Architecture with Interior Design, so you can become a fully qualified Architect but also know Interior Design - i deffinitely would have done that if it wasn't in london.
Also there are a couple of other uni's that do work placements, there's middlesex, and i thought another, but i'm not sure now, there aren't many!

But i would deffinitely suggest go to as many open days as you can and look at ALL of the courses because if you decide you want to do interior architecture, some of the courses may be called interior design, so just read all the course info :smile: and think if there are any locations you really don't want to be, or if you want it city based or campus based :smile: LOTS of factors :smile:

Any more qs, please feel free to ask :smile:
Marissa xx

thats really helpful, thankyou!! :biggrin:
just some advice dont apply for interiour architecture at nottingham trent! my friend did it last yr and spent a month just making boxes from cardboard! she eneded up changing courses! be warned!
(edited 13 years ago)
nikki-jones2009
just some advice dont apply for interiour architecture at nottingham trent! my friend did it last yr and spent a month just making boxes from cardboard! she eneded up changing courses! be warned!

Totally agree! I had an interview there and the interviewer kept going on about how she hates colour and how she doesn't let her son paint. I was like errmm, okay, I don't wanna go here anymore! :s-smilie: lol
Reply 6
interior architecture isn't interior design.
We don't use colour cos we're meant to be focusing on the space and the architecture of it, not whether its all pretty...
And yeah we're gonna be making things out of cardboard for the first term cos we have to learn about modelling and the light in different spaces...

But it's each to their own, if you want to do stuff with colour and fabrics then really DON'T do interior architecture, do interior decorating
rissa14
We don't use colour cos we're meant to be focusing on the space and the architecture of it, not whether its all pretty...
And yeah we're gonna be making things out of cardboard for the first term cos we have to learn about modelling and the light in different spaces...

But it's each to their own, if you want to do stuff with colour and fabrics then really DON'T do interior architecture, do interior decorating

That's why I chose interior design :p: There's interior architecture which is what you said, interior decoration which is colour, pattern, furnishings etc. and then there's interior design which I'm doing which is the best of both worlds I think :biggrin:
Reply 8
It depends where you do it, a lot of the interior design courses i looked at where all colour and decoration - well the majority was - and the more structural side interested me more so i did that :smile:
rissa14
It depends where you do it, a lot of the interior design courses i looked at where all colour and decoration - well the majority was - and the more structural side interested me more so i did that :smile:

Were they? :s-smilie: I went to the interiors week at the Free Range exhibition this summer and most unis seemed to be a mixture of both.
PS. Please can you quote me, I only saw your post because I clicked back on the thread :p:
Reply 10
pippa90
Were they? :s-smilie: I went to the interiors week at the Free Range exhibition this summer and most unis seemed to be a mixture of both.
PS. Please can you quote me, I only saw your post because I clicked back on the thread :p:

Sure sorry lol

Yeah i went to free range two summers back now, and it was really great. The uni's did seem to be a mix, but i was looking a while beforehand, just at the course information and individual uni websites, the uni's that i looked at, were very decoration based, or very open in that you could become a journalist from it too - like writing the interior supplements for papers.
At the time i thought it sounded good, but then i found interior architecture, and that was just more for me....
rissa14
Sure sorry lol

Yeah i went to free range two summers back now, and it was really great. The uni's did seem to be a mix, but i was looking a while beforehand, just at the course information and individual uni websites, the uni's that i looked at, were very decoration based, or very open in that you could become a journalist from it too - like writing the interior supplements for papers.
At the time i thought it sounded good, but then i found interior architecture, and that was just more for me....

Haha no probs :smile:

Fair enough, everyone likes different things, if we didn't it would be a very boring place!
rissa14

well i dont think making a simple six sided box for a month or more is learning abwt modelling :s-smilie: a 5 yr old could make a simple box! :smile: just saying
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 13
nikki-jones2009
well i dont think making a simple six sided box for a month or more is learning abwt modelling :s-smilie: a 5 yr old could make a simple box! :smile: just saying

Um well so far they haven't been simple, i made a model of the outside of a house, and a detail model of a wall... deff wasn't easy...

They've changed the course so we do the rest next term i think... but at the ooen days, i never saw simple boxes...
just saying too... if you don't wanna make models then obviously don't become an architect or interior architect...
Reply 14
interior design you might learn more about colour theory and furnishings and stuff i think
interior architecture you learn about the important balance of form and function, designing spaces with consideration to how the people move about in the building and what amount of light would be suitable for this space, its a complex subject that involes a lot of reading and understanding (which is vital for any interior based subject really)
UWIC is an amazing and enlightening experience if you want to try interior architecture there :smile:
livi-99
interior design you might learn more about colour theory and furnishings and stuff i think
interior architecture you learn about the important balance of form and function, designing spaces with consideration to how the people move about in the building and what amount of light would be suitable for this space, its a complex subject that involes a lot of reading and understanding (which is vital for any interior based subject really)
UWIC is an amazing and enlightening experience if you want to try interior architecture there :smile:

I'm doing 'interior design' at Kingston and I'm doing all the of things you do in 'interior architecture' :smile:
rissa14
Um well so far they haven't been simple, i made a model of the outside of a house, and a detail model of a wall... deff wasn't easy...

They've changed the course so we do the rest next term i think... but at the ooen days, i never saw simple boxes...
just saying too... if you don't wanna make models then obviously don't become an architect or interior architect...

Interior designers and pretty much every 3d designer make models too, so it's all out of the question if you don't like modelling really :p:
hi there,
any opinions on interior architecture (design) course at Westminster?
Original post by Cheshire_Cat
I'm doing 'interior design' at Kingston and I'm doing all the of things you do in 'interior architecture' :smile:

How is it there? Are you happy with the course?
Reply 19
Original post by qaz1
I've done some research but i'm still unsure about the difference between Interior Design courses and Interior Architecture courses (BA Hons). They often have the same UCAS code (W250) and there's also Interior Architecture and Design courses too at unis such as NTU. Anyone who's studying these courses know the difference between them?

Also, does anyone recommend any good uni's for Interior design degree courses?

I'd have a good old look at UC Falmouth

It's where I'm heading this sept. It certainly seems to have it all

Quick Reply

Latest