The Student Room Group

How did you know/do you know what uni course to pick?

For current students and prospective uni students, how did you know what to pick? Have you 'always' known? Or did you just decide when the time came?

I'm between so many options (medicine/biology/chemistry/geography/biomed/bichem...ect) and suddenly I have to decide pretty quickly, with no real help or experience (have to register for UKCAT pretty quick for medicne and the application deadline is 15th of october, but it's best to apply in september! + starting personal statements soon). It's hard to be commited to my work experience for medicine when I'm not sure whether I'll even take it.

If you were ever in this posistion (or are) what did you do? People are telling me I obviously shouldn't apply to something like medicine if I'm not 100% sure , but I really don't know how to choose or go about it.

Any replies appreciated and thanks for reading :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Only thing i'm interested in sufficiently to spend three years studying it
Reply 2
I did the wrong way! I picked the subject in which I scored the highest marks in my A-levels, regret that decision till this date :frown:
Reply 3
I'm not entirely sure I knew what I was doing when I chose a course...same at a levels, just picked what looked interesting - I think that's called taking it for its "intrinsic worth" and it really depends if you're taking a course for its intrinsic worth or if you have a certain career in mind :smile:
You have to pretty sure and very deidcated to go into medicine though, although I marvel at how they expect people to make up their minds so soon, many people aren't even old enough to vote by the time they choose - if we're not expected to know who we want to vote for, how can we possibly know what we want to do with the rest of our lives?
Good luck choosing anyway, I'm sure you'll make the right decision in the end :smile:
whatever you like most; disregard the job prospects
Reply 5
joy12
I did the wrong way! I picked the subject in which I scored the highest marks in my A-levels, regret that decision till this date :frown:

Mind if I ask which subject did you intend to study and which did you pick to study?
It was just the ombination of the subjects I have always enjoyed.

Ancient History and History.

You do have time to research all the courses before you apply so just look them up and think what you want to do and what you'd be happy with.
It's the only degree I can take in order to qualify as an optometrist.
Reply 8
S-man10
Mind if I ask which subject did you intend to study and which did you pick to study?

I studied math and econ :eek3: I was crazy...

I don't know I should have studied acctn and fin or philosophy or psycho ... I really don't till this date... (well I knw but its a long story :frown: )
Reply 9
joy12

I don't know I should have studied acctn and fin or philosophy or psycho ... I really don't till this date... (well I knw but its a long story :frown: )

Where? Do you find it too boring/ hard/ easy?
It's the only subject I really have any interest in, and considering the fact I have utterly no idea what career I want, that's important. I wouldn't want to waste 3/4 years studying something I'm not totally interested in.
Reply 11
joy12

I know, there is a big difference in studying what your good at and studying what you love.

You should be loving what you are good at but there is always a breaking point.
Well for medicine, have you done any work experience? For me, that really made my mind up :smile:

I think talking to people who are doing/have done the course and are in a job that you are thinking about is a good thing to do. They can give you the pros and cons and maybe point things out you may not have considered and let you make the decision. Also, look at the course and see if it interests you..
Reply 13
Muffin.
Where? Do you find it too boring/ hard/ easy?

Warwick

It was hard and boring :s-smilie:
Reply 14
RoadWarrior
Well for medicine, have you done any work experience? For me, that really made my mind up :smile:

I think talking to people who are doing/have done the course and are in a job that you are thinking about is a good thing to do. They can give you the pros and cons and maybe point things out you may not have considered and let you make the decision. Also, look at the course and see if it interests you..

yh but only at a disabled school, then a week at a nursing home soon. There's nowhere to get experience in a real setting, which makes it harder :frown:
Reply 15
TheMeister
whatever you like most; disregard the job prospects

isn't that a part to consider when doing the degree though - I mean I like geography , but future prospects in the CS or enviromental management don't really appeal, so it might be a waste of time taking that
I didn't, I've changed course twice since being at uni. :teehee:
Gemma2010
isn't that a part to consider when doing the degree though - I mean I like geography , but future prospects in the CS or enviromental management don't really appeal, so it might be a waste of time taking that

well yes, it should be part of the process but all the courses you mentioned have similar prospects so it shouldn't really be a factor in your choice at this stage - most employers look for classifications (results) rather the courses anyway
Gemma2010
yh but only at a disabled school, then a week at a nursing home soon. There's nowhere to get experience in a real setting, which makes it harder :frown:

Do you know any doctors? :p: If not in your family, ask friends or your parents for contacts - makes it much easier than ringing up a million GPs :smile:
Reply 19
Gemma2010

I'm between so many options (medicine/biology/chemistry/geography/biomed/bichem...ect) and suddenly I have to decide pretty quickly, with no real help or experience (have to register for UKCAT pretty quick for medicne and the application deadline is 15th of october, but it's best to apply in september! + starting personal statements soon). It's hard to be commited to my work experience for medicine when I'm not sure whether I'll even take it.

I've always known that history is the subject for me, since I was about 7. But that's not to say I haven't occasionally been swayed to something else but I've always come back to history.

What is it that you like about all the degrees you're considering? Is it the analysing, the science aspects, your career prospects? I realised that I liked English Lit because I liked reading old novels or Philosophy because we studied theories from Ancient Greece which helped me identify a common theme- history.

Another way of deciding on history was whether I'd be happy to meet someone else who studied it when I didn't. If, for instance, you would be disappointed to meet a chemist when you're studying geography, then perhaps you'd be happier studying chemistry. I just can't stand the thought of people doing a history degree when I'm studying something else. Is there something you feel like that about?

If all else fails, you could always try one of those tests that find what you're best suited to. Or try out work experience doing various different things. Or just investigate the courses at the unis to which you're thinking of applying and just see which one you like best and could happily spend 3/4/5 years of your life studying.

Latest

Trending

Trending