The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I wasn't aware British culture was ever alive.... :p:
What culture is that, knife crime and happy-slapping?
Reply 22
I think you'll find that culture in Wales in quite strong. Take the eisteddfod as an example; its a Welsh literature and music festival/competition that's been running since the 12th century and its still going strong to this day.
I should probably rephrase my OP slightly. I mean to say English culture is dying and used 'British' because a lot of the time those phrases are used interchagebly. I admit Scottish, Welsh and Irish culture is still relatively strong. And to the person negging me and saying I'm a "militant Afrocentrist" :lolwut: Dont see how thats possible seeing as I have not inferred any sort of preference for Africa or black people or suggested that there is some sort of inferiority with British culture. Just stated my interpretations on my observations
It is due mostly to a distinct lack of National pride.

If you go to any other country outside of England you will see people pride in their culture. Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland to add to the point other have made that British culture isn't dying, merely the English culture.

But every other country in the world takes pride in it's people and it's culture, except England. This isn't due to capitalism and consumerism, as we live in a capitalist world and would be a theme experienced globally if it was due to capitalism. The problem isn't even due to multiculturalism. I've visited Trinidad a lot, and the population there is far more diverse than the UK, yet the sense of National pride is enormous.

The problem is years of self-destruction and social divide created by successive Governments. The strive to make everyone "equal" that in my opinion is a communist policy echoing that of the Soviet Union has caused the same problems that we saw in the Soviet Union. People are not motivated or encouraged to better themselves. Money is taken from the hard-working people and given to those much less productive in order to make society "equal". Ingenuity and innovation seem to be depressed, with funding going instead to try and achieve the unrealistic goal of improving the prospects of the least well off. This is why the UK is gradually losing it's position in the world, as Capitalism thrives by having people to exploit. Without the lower layer of a society, it cannot function. We need binmen, and factory workers. Not everyone can go to university as they country would grind to a halt and be unable to function if everyone worked in an office.

I think it is these policies that echo a communist nature, coupled with successive Labour Governments who seem to be unable to calm public concerns over social problems by creating a nanny state, that are leading to the loss of our culture.
Lewis :D
No, British Culture is evolving.

Evolution can and has lead to dead ends. That also applies to social evolution. Look at communism - that's really gone well. Sound in theory (IMHO), flawed due to the nature of humanity - sprawling, expanding, competitive and with limited resources at it's disposal.

Frankly I think Shinobi has a point, but it's not just British culture - it's every consumerist culture. We consume without giving, we attach monetary rather than emotional value to the lives of humans, we sit in front of the telly day after day consuming news rather than making it, consuming resources rather than sharing them, angry but content at an inept government that has been stalling on reforms for almost a hundred years. Humanity in general needs to wake the **** up.
Reply 26
It's changing but it isn't 'dying'.
Reply 27
Tha_Black_Shinobi
As the title above states British culture is dying and its death is pretty much irreversible. This is something that has been spouted frequently in real life on this forum usually by ignorant, right wing cretins who seem desperate to pin the blame on Muslims, blacks, Asians and "liberals" usually through the use of tired old buzzwords like "PC Brigade" and Islamiphication when really they are giving "British Culture" a backhanded insult seeing as British culture reallt can't be that strong if immigrants that have only been here for 3 generations and comprise about 10% of the population can pose such a potent threat.

But back to my main point. British culture is dying and the modern Consumerist Capitalism is the reason. Consumerism has eroded the value of a culture and instead we see value only in material products. Whereas before British culture was Mayfairs and Eel and Pie shops it has been replaced by smartphones and HD televisions. Apple and Coca Cola is our culture now. People say PC has eroded the British traditions of Christianity and Easter. In reality consumerism has, we don't worship god anymore we worship products.

It happened in the USA many decades ago and it is happening here now. I'm not some rabid, raging Communist but this is the truth.

Discuss. (If you feel to post tl;dr I dont give a ****, you can go suck a nut for all I care)

What is culture really? I mean times move on, things change. I mean why is it so important it is dying? Why do we need Mayfairs and Pie shops, what is essentially so fantastic about them? Also why are you blaming it on the right wing? Seeing as the main idiots in this are the BNP (Far left) i don't think you are entirely clued up on this at all.

It does remind me of the good old debate in music where people think it is dying and it is getting worse. It's evolving still, and you could say the same about our so called culture. It is different to what it used to be and what you might think fondly of, in history for example. But what makes it so awful?

I can see where you are coming from in a way, but i do honestly think we remember the old days as the good old days and always look back on it fondly and look back on the good in history like that too. Overall society has become a far better place for all, so i think it isn't a bad thing overall.
Reply 28
Mm_Minty
I'd say the sum-total of British culture is tea and cricket, they're still pretty popular.
Seriously, I wouldn't say we ever had much of a culture really, nothing much to lose - maybe all the immigrants will actually help us define some sort of culture?
Apart from English itself, but then I'd say the truly beautiful thing about it is its ability to change and adapt :smile:

ONLY Tea and Cricket? :rolleyes: - Okay, how about the monarchy? how about Democracy? (albeit I may not be a huge fan :wink: ), how about the 'island-mentality'? how about football? pubs? beautiful rolling landscapes like the Lake District? rugby? ...Go to another country and say 'bloody hell' - they'll know where your from...right? How about a flag that almost everyone will recognise? How about missionaries going to remote areas in Africa and being told about 'David Beckham' by the native peoples who don't even have a TV!

Anyone who feels so against Britain having a culture should be the ones told to pack their bags and leave! white, Asian, black whatever just get out. You are the very cancer that is eating away at our society. Have some pride for pity's sake, perhaps then this country could make some progress and back-bone once again. Instead of a bunch of liberals inventing this idea of Britain's willingness to 'adapt' thought history whilst at the same time trying to cause national shame by reviewing how we oppressed other cultures! Make your minds up already! :mad:

Britain has the most vast, beautiful history of all the country's in the world...from monarchy to democracy...from Empire to a single nation. I am proud to be British. :yep:
Consumerism is people buying things. Get the **** over it.
Aye, I agree.
Reply 31
Like many have said, it's not dying, it's just changing.
I'd really love to know from one of these ... I'm going to call them Changists... what it's changing into?
Reply 33
Aamon
ONLY Tea and Cricket? :rolleyes: - Okay, how about the monarchy? how about Democracy? (albeit I may not be a huge fan :wink: ), how about the 'island-mentality'? how about football? pubs? beautiful rolling landscapes like the Lake District? rugby? ...Go to another country and say 'bloody hell' - they'll know where your from...right? How about a flag that almost everyone will recognise? How about missionaries going to remote areas in Africa and being told about 'David Beckham' by the native peoples who don't even have a TV!

Anyone who feels so against Britain having a culture should be the ones told to pack their bags and leave! white, Asian, black whatever just get out. You are the very cancer that is eating away at our society. Have some pride for pity's sake, perhaps then this country could make some progress and back-bone once again. Instead of a bunch of liberals inventing this idea of Britain's willingness to 'adapt' thought history whilst at the same time trying to cause national shame by reviewing how we oppressed other cultures! Make your minds up already! :mad:

Britain has the most vast, beautiful history of all the country's in the world...from monarchy to democracy...from Empire to a single nation. I am proud to be British. :yep:

Whilst I love the britishness of "bloody hell" I don't think collonialism is something to be proud of :/
What was so amazing about British culture in the first place:^_^:
Reply 35
nah its just evolving
Reply 36
Tha_Black_Shinobi
his is something that has been spouted frequently in real life on this forum usually by ignorant, right wing cretins who seem desperate to pin the blame on Muslims, blacks, Asians and "liberals" usually through the use of tired old buzzwords like "PC Brigade" and Islamiphication when really they are giving "British Culture" a backhanded insult seeing as British culture reallt can't be that strong if immigrants that have only been here for 3 generations and comprise about 10% of the population can pose such a potent threat.

I dont think this is a right wing thing, rather something exhibited by people thinking its clever to rip lines straight from newspapers and also try and claim that they are clever as they support a political cause.
Reply 37
It's probably dying due to all the miserable people asking "what was so great about it anyway" and the people trying to turn the English into guilt junkies for things their ancestors did hundreds of years ago which might be seen as slightly negative in a 21st century context. England probably has the lowest levels of national pride in the world due to a variety of reasons, not least because people are often discouraged from exhibiting pride for the ludicrous reason that they might appear 'racist'. I'd also like to know what exactly the culture is changing into. The people saying "oh it was just tea and cricket and pie shops, it sucked anyway" are among the cynical group who are barely trying to think hard and are just being a bit selfish.
Reply 38
Time Tourist
I'd really love to know from one of these ... I'm going to call them Changists... what it's changing into?

What on earth do you mean? It's changing into what you see it changing into ... I suppose we can label it Western culture, because thats essentially what it is, but if you want to see speciically what it's changing into just look out your window.

We buy more global goods than ever before (f.e 50 years ago I doubt there were any stores which you could find in literally any country of the world), we're attributing less and less value to tradition and far more open when it comes to food (inparticular), clothing and music for example. Basically we're changing into a much more open culture, which imo represents a fraction of a larger Western culture which the North of America, Canada and Western Europe is embracing.
Reply 39
agreed.

Latest

Trending

Trending