The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Not sure where this post is going, but i have often thought how similar our current views on paedophilia are to our past views on homosexuality. This really worries me, will we have 'paedophile right's' groups in the future?
ipulledhermione
Children are not biologically ready for engaging in sexual intercourse. Is it now paedophilic for a person of 18 to have sex with a 15 year old? Because I have known this to happen with 3 couples and its perfectly okay because both parties were in a consensual relationship and the 15 year old was mature enough to handle a sexual relationship.

Paedophilia is just a blanket term to identify the wrong sort of engagement in sex with a minor. Having sex with a child, a toddler, anyone who is physically and mentally unprepared for the act of sex is WRONG. Even if they say yes, it should still not be allowed! I wouldn't let an 8 year old consume a bottle of vodka, or get a tattoo of edward cullen on her ass so why should I give her permission to have her body violated before it is ready and her mind exposed to adult themes of sex and the like.

I appreciate people mature at different times and maybe I am biased because I didn't mature till I was a full blown teenager but that doesn't mean they should be introduced into the sex-world. I understand your argument and their may be loop holes where by it may not seem to bad but really, we shouldn't even be considering it.

Paedophilia is not in parallel to homosexuality and nor are peoples opinion or reaction to it.

How can any of us decide when someone is ready for something? Your example of the vodka is funny because if a child drank too much vodka they would feel sick and not do it again. This I feel is the only way for a child to learn, we should not tell them or influence them in anyway about what they should and shouldn't do. A lot of adults on the other hand drink too much and feel sick then do it all over again the next night, all because our society encourages this. I'm not just talking about drinking but all cases where adults act, in my eyes, totally insane because of cultural conditioning. Children are not conditioned so they are much better at making rational decisions in my opinion.
Do you think Elton John saw a little of himself in Billy Elliot?

<3 dara o'brien
Reply 83
Fraser Monteeth
Homosexuality has been acceptable in many socities throughout history according to wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homosexuality#History

Ancient Greece is the only obvious example I can think of, there are undoubtedly more.

Almost all instances are pederasty :confused: and even still it's almost always bisexuality, never exclusively homosexuality, that's accepted. The word paedophilia itself is Greek for 'child friendship', referring to the fact that it was commonplace for men to have young boys as lovers at the time.
visa
Almost all instances are pederasty :confused: and even still it's almost always bisexuality, never exclusively homosexuality, that's accepted. The word paedophilia itself is Greek for 'child friendship', referring to the fact that it was commonplace for men to have young boys as lovers at the time.

I don't know enough history to sensibly debate this, but nevertheless I'd have to say that it is acceptable now.
Reply 85
Fraser Monteeth
How can any of us decide when someone is ready for something? Your example of the vodka is funny because if a child drank too much vodka they would feel sick and not do it again. This I feel is the only way for a child to learn, we should not tell them or influence them in anyway about what they should and shouldn't do. A lot of adults on the other hand drink too much and feel sick then do it all over again the next night, all because our society encourages this. I'm not just talking about drinking but all cases where adults act, in my eyes, totally insane because of cultural conditioning. Children are not conditioned so they are much better at making rational decisions in my opinion.

So you're saying to ensure that children aren't vicitms of paedophilia we should have sex with them if they say "yeah, why not"? I hope not, because learning the negatives of something is VERY different with sex than it is with practically everything else.

It comes down to this. A child does NOT know the dangers of sex, a child does NOT know the mental or physical harm it can pose and they are in general NOT developed enough physically or mentally. The difference is with the vodka is that a child can drink vodka however unless its in seriously large amounts it will have no long lasting effects, whereas sex will do potentially.

And when it comes to sex which is something that 99% of children know bugger all about (or don't know enough about), they're not good at making rational decisions.
Fraser Monteeth
Who said anything about rape? Heck, try to imagine that the child thoroughly enjoys the sex and wants more, would it be ok then? Like I said in the post, 200 years ago they would have saying "marriage is between a man and a woman, homosexuality is a man raping a man, how is there any similarity?"

Children cannot consent, It is always exploitation.
Homosexuality has never actually been rape, they just said it was. Paedophilia is rape.
It's extremely offensive for you to compare the two BTW, don't know if you realised...
Reply 87
WTF. No. :lolwut:
tired yet?
Children cannot consent, It is always exploitation.
Homosexuality has never actually been rape, they just said it was. Paedophilia is rape.
It's extremely offensive for you to compare the two BTW, don't know if you realised...

You really can't see that you're just saying that paedophilia is rape? You really can't see that?
Fraser Monteeth
You really can't see that you're just saying that paedophilia is rape? You really can't see that?

It is rape.
Reply 90
Fraser Monteeth

(My post will make more sense if you appreciate that I live in Scotland.)
I volunteer at a place where there are 10 year olds recovering from alcohol addiction. They felt sick, they woke up with extreme hangovers yet the next night they were at it again. That is an example of a child doing something on his own accord that he does think he enjoys yet is harming him and should not be allowed to happen. A child can decide for themselves when they are ready for sex yes - but I would prefer repressing overt sexuality in very young children as opposed to allowing it under the minuscule chance that some kid will be ready to partake in an act that is emotionally/physically beyond what they can handle thus risking the exposure of it to those who would be scarred by it.

Can you not accept that children are largely more vulnerable and not ready for sex. Yes it is a generalisation but the amount of kids ready at 8 would be severely outweighed by those who aren't.

I also think it does have something to do with your sex. Most guys that I have asked about their first masturbation say it was when they were way young, and most girls not till they are in their teens at least, if ever. Maybe a child who is male could handle the emotional and physical aspects of sex, but a girl could not. It is difficult for women to handle it - the hormones and chemicals released in a womens body during sex seriously **** her up, make her clingy etc. Its the same chemical as is released when she gives birth which makes her feel 'bonded' to her child and protective over it. Guys however can go about sexing anything that moves without necessarily being affected very much.

All in all consensual paedophilia should not ever be considered legalising. There are to many flaws, to many places where by it could go wrong. It is perverse. Children are children and by law are not considered mature enough to make certain decisions let alone have sex with an adult.

I can appreciate your parallels with the taboo of homosexuality. However unlike with homosexuality, I feel severe unease when saying that a consenting child should be allowed to engage in sexual acts with a consenting adult.
Somebody ring the police. :eek3:
werd123
So you're saying to ensure that children aren't vicitms of paedophilia we should have sex with them if they say "yeah, why not"? I hope not, because learning the negatives of something is VERY different with sex than it is with practically everything else.

It comes down to this. A child does NOT know the dangers of sex, a child does NOT know the mental or physical harm it can pose and they are in general NOT developed enough physically or mentally. The difference is with the vodka is that a child can drink vodka however unless its in seriously large amounts it will have no long lasting effects, whereas sex will do potentially.

And when it comes to sex which is something that 99% of children know bugger all about (or don't know enough about), they're not good at making rational decisions.

I personally can't see the significant difference between sex and other activities. They all boil down to emotions; pleasure, pain, comfort, whatever. Why do you think they are "VERY" different, why do you think it has long lasting effects?

It may be true that children cannot make informed decisions about the future, simply because they are not informed, but this does not stop them from making rational decisions about the present.
morecambebay
Somebody ring the police. :eek3:

dun dun
Fraser Monteeth

EDIT:

I'm now including my counterarguments against what people have said in the order they came up. Some of it is probably a little out of context

Manipulation:

1) So a guy has never bought a drink for a girl to get her drunk, pretended to be interested in her, lied to compliment her, bought her flowers, chocolates etc, or lied about themselves to make themselves look more interesting/appealing? These are all manipulative techniques to get a girl to have sex with him.

2) If the child wasn't manipulated into the sex then he/she might go to their parents and tell them that some man/woman just asked them to have sex. This would lead to prison sentence and never getting a job. Hence, the law necessitates the manipulation.

3) Manipulation of trust is just the negative way of saying getting someone to fall in love with you. Its how adult-adult relations form; you buy her dinner, you compliment her hair, tell her she's special and boom you have one groomed adult "in love" with you and willing to have sex with you.

Children making rational decisions:

1) Firstly, adults are often no better at this. Secondly, most children at any one time have never suffered from eating to much ice cream, so it would be irrational for them to stop eating ice cream. A child can't know whether sex will be bad until they've tried it for the first time, but most people are more or less adults when they have sex for the first time so there's no meaningful difference. If a child does not remotely enjoy sex then they will stop straight away, they will be rational. Adults on the other hand can be insane.

2) How can any of us decide when someone is ready for something? Your example of the vodka is funny because if a child drank too much vodka they would feel sick and not do it again. This I feel is the only way for a child to learn, we should not tell them or influence them in anyway about what they should and shouldn't do. A lot of adults on the other hand drink too much and feel sick then do it all over again the next night, all because our society encourages this. I'm not just talking about drinking but all cases where adults act, in my eyes, totally insane because of cultural conditioning. Children are not conditioned so they are much better at making rational decisions in my opinion.

Culture differences and conditioning:

1) I do know about the greek and romans, but its all a matter of cultural conditioning: ancient greeks might for example see the mixing of social classes in modern western society to be as disgusting as we see paedophilia in ancient greek society. You saying it is fundamentally wrong without giving reasons is a clear indicator of this.

2) I do believe this and asking whether I would have sex with a child, while it means a lot in our society, it is possible to imagine a society where it would be like asking me whether i would argue with my dad.

3) What is respectful or not depends on your culture, were you brought up in a culture where necrophilia was the norm I doubt you would have a serious problem with it. You don't have a problem with wearing clothes in the summer when it is totally unnecessary and indeed sometimes uncomfortable, yet you do it without question because it is the norm.

4) It is possible that there may be certain morals that are natural and instinctual, but I doubt it. I believe that morals are the product of the society, morals which you believe to be fundamental like no murder have been and still are perfectly acceptable in cultures different to your own (human sacrifice with Aztecs, the sacrifice volunteered and felt honoured by it).

Manipulation:

1) The girl willingly puts herself in the situation on the premise of picking up a guy. Aside from the fact that such instances are rare (either because a guy making such an effort is investing a load of money just for a shag or the girl bails at the first sign of the guy being a dick) it is much more easy to manipulate a child. In a developing stage, how can YOU definitvely say that a child has the free-will necessary to engage in consentual sex?

2) The law necessitates manipulation of children? I don't understand that one. If a child cried rape when it wasn't present, then i'd hope the fact that there is no evidence would be enough to clear an innocent person.

3) your not talking about love here. Love is when you meet someone whom you would not need to 'groom' in order to be with. In fact, if your grooming a partner then in al likelyhood your destined to fail.

Conclusion: Flimsy argument which makes some bold assumptions about human behaviour.
I'm not going to reply properly to this as I'm doing my revision but I just want to say, I accidentally clicked 'legal' instead of 'illegal' in the poll, ignore my vote! (I didn't see the question and thought it was something about if homosexuality should be legal or illegal).
ipulledhermione
(My post will make more sense if you appreciate that I live in Scotland.)
I volunteer at a place where there are 10 year olds recovering from alcohol addiction. They felt sick, they woke up with extreme hangovers yet the next night they were at it again. That is an example of a child doing something on his own accord that he does think he enjoys yet is harming him and should not be allowed to happen. A child can decide for themselves when they are ready for sex yes - but I would prefer repressing overt sexuality in very young children as opposed to allowing it under the minuscule chance that some kid will be ready to partake in an act that is emotionally/physically beyond what they can handle thus risking the exposure of it to those who would be scarred by it.

Can you not accept that children are largely more vulnerable and not ready for sex. Yes it is a generalisation but the amount of kids ready at 8 would be severely outweighed by those who aren't.

I also think it does have something to do with your sex. Most guys that I have asked about their first masturbation say it was when they were way young, and most girls not till they are in their teens at least, if ever. Maybe a child who is male could handle the emotional and physical aspects of sex, but a girl could not. It is difficult for women to handle it - the hormones and chemicals released in a womens body during sex seriously **** her up, make her clingy etc. Its the same chemical as is released when she gives birth which makes her feel 'bonded' to her child and protective over it. Guys however can go about sexing anything that moves without necessarily being affected very much.

All in all consensual paedophilia should not ever be considered legalising. There are to many flaws, to many places where by it could go wrong. It is perverse. Children are children and by law are not considered mature enough to make certain decisions let alone have sex with an adult.

I can appreciate your parallels with the taboo of homosexuality. However unlike with homosexuality, I feel severe unease when saying that a consenting child should be allowed to engage in sexual acts with a consenting adult.

Firstly, with the ten year olds, they've experienced too much of life, they go out drinking again because they're just copying other people, not acting on their own accord. They are not making rational decisions. The kind of age I've been referring to for children making rational decisions is about 0-6. The kind of decisions i'm talking about are the kind that animals make eg. don't put your paw in the fire.

I've discussed the physical/mental effects of it which i've now put in the original thread starter. I don't think there is any reason why sex would have to lead to physical/mental scarring with the majority of children.

Children may be physically vulnerable, but to some extent so are women in relation to men. I don't believe they are more mentally vulnerable, I have tried persuading young children to do something they don't want to do (not sex:smile:) and it is far more difficult than with adults.

Naturally i am no expert on female hormones so I can't know whether it fits or not.

In practice, it would be difficult reforming the laws and things could go wrong and there could be flaws, but we don't know the future and we can't guarantee this so its not a good argument against.

Try to understand the real root of your unease, think about every single time you've been directly or indirectly told that paedophilia is bad bad bad.
Reply 98
Fraser Monteeth

Try to understand the real root of your unease, think about every single time you've been directly or indirectly told that paedophilia is bad bad bad.

Go back to some pedo website. You dont deserve to be here, go chat with your fellow pedo's and hopefully get caught.

Cuz i swear to god, if you ever came up to my family and my little brother and sister, and told me that its ok for you to have sex with them and you tried something on, i would basically kill you :yep:
Reply 99
Fraser Monteeth
I personally can't see the significant difference between sex and other activities. They all boil down to emotions; pleasure, pain, comfort, whatever. Why do you think they are "VERY" different, why do you think it has long lasting effects?

a) Sex is very different because of the mental effects it can have on the rest of your life.
b) It has these effects because sex is a very unnatural thing for a small child to have. All you need to do is look at cases of paedophilia to see the harmful effects it has on the child. Not to mention it can often lead to feelings of guilt (feeling like they've done something wrong), insecurity or fear.

It may be true that children cannot make informed decisions about the future, simply because they are not informed, but this does not stop them from making rational decisions about the present.

But when those decisions they make in the present affect the future so greatly, they shouldn't be allowed to make them.

Basically it comes down to the fact that we have an age of consent for a reason, and a very good reason at that.

Latest

Trending

Trending