The Student Room Group

Dissertation topic in French Cinema?

Hey guys!

Am currently on my year abroad but thinking about doing a dissertation next year, and ideally would like to do a lot of research over the summer if possible.

At the moment I'm considering Jean Claude Jeunet and themes that are recurrent in his films.. but I'm not sure if this would be enough for a full dissertation?

Basically, I'm asking for your help in trying to get a decent proposal together before I go to my potential supervisor, although I will obviously be in contact with him pretty soon.

Thanks in advance!
Reply 1
How about the influence of the war on French cinema, then you could talk about the Nouvelle Vague movement and stuff like that?
Reply 2
Yeah, I agree with xmarilynx, why not try Francois Truffaut? Il faisait partie d'un group de jeunes cinephiles (parmi lesquels Chabrol, Rohmer et Godard) qui desirait vraiment tourner des films parce qu'ils avaient une grande insatisfaction meme du mepris avec les films d'apres-guerre. C'etait ces jeunes cineastes qui allaient definir ce qu'on appelle aujourd'hui 'La Nouvelle Vague'.Truffaut also grew up during the German occupation, which is realy evident in his films such as "Le dernier Metro". Hope that helps
How about Jean Renoir films and the influence of a growing left wing ideology in 1930's France?

Latest

Trending

Trending