The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

Scroll to see replies

Anyone else not bringing a tv? Terrestrial is so boring. I just dont see the point of bringing a tv for a total of four channels. However, i am definitely bringing the laptop, because that is something which i cant live without.
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
u cood always get freeview. its a cheap one off payment and i expect birmingham will receive it ok. i was thinking bout getting it but i thought id wait and settle in properlyy first
I could, but i would mainly want to watch sports like: tennis, athletics etc. However, i dont think freeview has any sports channels. Ah your from Poole!! Where did you go? Parkstone Grammar? Poole high? I went to Corfe Hills.
Reply 23
Geeeeez have u guys seen the size of the rooms!? Especially the kitchen/diners....my friends staying at Hunter Court and her kitchen is a bit bigger than the ones at Maple Bank. Seriously with all these toasty makers and george grills there will be no room! Oh you are not alone, Im not bringing a TV. ps information regarding girls and clothes...Wardrobes are about one and a half metres in width...mine was complete with 4, repeat 4 transparent coathangers, and a mirror inside the left door. Pointless information which mite help you...OH! And there were two shelves (perhaps to fold up jumpers/t shirts/hoodies/shoes etc) above the rail in the wardrobe. This is all going on what i saw yesterday mind u....neways, cud help in decision as to how many suitcases to bring. I shall be bringing my ball dress, jeans, tshirts, and trainers....oh who am i kidding, and my shirts, skirts, heels .....heehee, i went crazy at the bullring today..and yesterday! HA! God i love clothes.
kellyjacobs15
u cood always get freeview. its a cheap one off payment and i expect birmingham will receive it ok. i was thinking bout getting it but i thought id wait and settle in properlyy first

don't get a freeview box, it will be a waste of your money. the aerials used in halls aren't all that great, they are in a "dip" too which helps so there is no line of sight to sutton coldfield transmitter. except chamberlain, obviously...

i had difficulty picking up the basic 5 channels in tennis courts, i actually got much better reception on my tin foil aerial.

marmitebagel
I could, but i would mainly want to watch sports like: tennis, athletics etc. However, i dont think freeview has any sports channels. Ah your from Poole!! Where did you go? Parkstone Grammar? Poole high? I went to Corfe Hills.

the main sports events get shown on the big screens at the pubs. be warned though, if there is an england match or something kicking off at say 3pm, be at the pub at opening time if you want to even be able to stand and see the screens, trust me...

you could always do this, if you are sooooo desperate for extra channels...

http://www.selkirkshire.demon.co.uk/analoguesat/windowdish2.html
laura16
Wardrobes are about one and a half metres in width...mine was complete with 4, repeat 4 transparent coathangers, and a mirror inside the left door.

if you dont like the mirror, seriously beg whoever is bringing you down to take you to ikea (M6 J9). The full length mirrors they sell can be hung with bits of string and cost £4....
Reply 26
davesstones
if you dont like the mirror, seriously beg whoever is bringing you down to take you to ikea (M6 J9). The full length mirrors they sell can be hung with bits of string and cost £4....

How bout bringing me up?! I live 40 mins away in the midlands!Perhaps ur northern?
i am a northerner yes :smile:

i reside in the midlands for much of the year though.... got to get away from all the last of the summer wine stereotypes i get :frown:
Reply 28
Haha! I understand. I just always find these things amusing. My older brother is at Leicester university and all the londoners etc think he's northern cos he doesnt come from london basically...he's still trying to teach them that there is a place called the midlands! So do you think i'm gonna get a brummie accent then? Im starting to say bostin! and ta-ra...which i never say!
i don't have one and i have lived here 2 years give or take now. I think my accent must have changed slightly though, before when i first started no one (literally) could understand me in shops etc, now they do so i guess it is changing. I can understand brummie fine now too, which is good :smile:

the stuff i don't get is the london slang, "safe", "sick" and all that stuff...

[edit] i just realised, i say "see ya later" brummie now... :frown:
No one can understand me anyways. apparentely i speak too fast... bunch of crap, no1's listening hard enough! :P

I say ta-ra, i thought that was a welsh thing.... then again listening to myself back on tape even i have to admit i have the worst twang sumtimes!

Em xxx

Ych a fi!!!! :P
davesstones
i don't have one and i have lived here 2 years give or take now. I think my accent must have changed slightly though, before when i first started no one (literally) could understand me in shops etc, now they do so i guess it is changing. I can understand brummie fine now too, which is good :smile:

im gonna miss london slang.. people calling me "bruv" even though i'm a girl :rolleyes:

my friends would never forgive me if i lost my pretentious southern voice and turned all midlands
ClosetGinger
im gonna miss london slang.. people calling me "bruv" even though i'm a girl :rolleyes:

my friends would never forgive me if i lost my pretentious southern voice and turned all midlands

Yeah so would mine! where abouts are you from down south?
Reply 33
davesstones

Its just cos i find people often say that girls with brummie accents arent particularly attractive in the media and stuff. Any scottish/welsh/geordie guys are my cup of tea cos i just love guys with accents....mmmm saw stereophonics friday nite, mmmm kelly jones telling anecdotes with his welsh accent...mmmmm....Guess im just paranoid that im gonna put guys off if my 'normal' voice changes or adapts whilst im at uni.
Teapot_tulip
No one can understand me anyways. apparentely i speak too fast... bunch of crap, no1's listening hard enough! :P

I say ta-ra, i thought that was a welsh thing.... then again listening to myself back on tape even i have to admit i have the worst twang sumtimes!

Em xxx

Ych a fi!!!! :P

please say that you say "isn't it" after everything with the welsh accent... *loves when welsh girls say "isnt it"*
laura16
Its just cos i find people often say that girls with brummie accents arent particularly attractive in the media and stuff. Any scottish/welsh/geordie guys are my cup of tea cos i just love guys with accents....mmmm saw stereophonics friday nite, mmmm kelly jones telling anecdotes with his welsh accent...mmmmm....Guess im just paranoid that im gonna put guys off if my 'normal' voice changes or adapts whilst im at uni.

i see you left out yorkshire accent.... *feels unloved* :p:

seriously, in my first month at uni everyone laughed when i spoke, and got me to say comedy words... i never say "the" apaprently..
lol, probably, dun notice,i think i say isit in mid conversation tho.

My mum says im def gunna get comments cos i say 'mun' and 'ble mae' a lot! lol how sad, i speak pig welsh!

Em xxx

Latest

Trending

Trending