The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Chess Is A Sexist/Misogynist Game

So I was just playing chess and if those of you who don't know the rules if you get a pawn to the other side of the board then you can promote it to a higher piece, which usually players choose a queen as its the most powerful piece so the move is called "queening" but this means that you can have more than 1 queen on the field at the same time. I for example had 3 queens on the board at the same time. But this means in a sense if you take the pieces meaning literally which I believe you do as you start with only 1 queen and 1 king that the king is then married to multiple women. Which seems rather misogynist to me as it devalues women in a sense like its saying its acceptable for men to have relationships with multiple women and he lets the women do all the work for him as the queen pretty much is the most powerful piece. Does anyone else think this as well? Chess is an old game so I'm not suprised that sexist themes from the past are subtly in it. :woo:

Edit: Also people here are saying that chess is racist because the player controlling the white pieces gets go first. If you want to discuss this too then I don't really mind but one side has to move first and there was a 50:50 chance they could have choosen either white or black and they chose white. If they decided blacks move first would that also be racist then? But they could have called the queen a number of different things such as general or prince etc but calling it queen and then being able to have multiple queens has misogynist undertones.

Edit 2: For all those who are saying that the queen is the most powerful piece therefore not sexist.

Yes that does seem like a role reversal but being the "king" he should be in charge but the whole game is aimed at protecting him so in a sense he is the most important piece though not the most powerful and the queen, ie the woman has to do all the work of protecting him.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Overanalysis fail. :facepalm2:
Reply 2
Sir, you failed to make me even slightly amused.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MRmxfLuNto
Uh, I was under the impression that queening allowed you to return a taken queen to the board, not 'turn it into a queen'. I'm pretty sure that's checkers.
Reply 4
Errrrrrm, get a life.
Reply 5
Shut up.
You're a ****.

It's a game.

I hope you choke on a chess piece, preferably the queen piece.
Wow.
Reply 8
GodspeedGehenna
Uh, I was under the impression that queening allowed you to return a taken queen to the board, not 'turn it into a queen'. I'm pretty sure that's checkers.

No you can promote the pawn to whatever piece you want and have multiple pieces which you would not normally have on the board. Here's the rules here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Promotion_%28chess%29

Its quite aloud, on a computer chess game I once had 4 queens on the board at the same time.
Reply 9
You're looking too much into it.
Just enjoy the game, no need to over think.
GodspeedGehenna

This, your confusing i for draughts/checkers OP.

EDIT: ahh right, just read your link
Reply 12
You cannot have multiple queens on one match AFAIK. You may return a piece, not produce a new one.
Reply 13
ipulledhermione
This, your confusing i for draughts/checkers OP.

EDIT: ahh right, just read your link

No I'm not. Read the rules. :facepalm2:
Reply 14
Ocassus
You cannot have multiple queens on one match AFAIK. You may return a piece, not produce a new one.

You may have more than one queen on the board.
Unknown?
No I'm not. Read the rules. :facepalm2:

:facepalm:

read my edit
Reply 16
I actually thought it's the other way round since the queen is the most powerful piece on the board and the king is far more restrained and needs to be protected :p:
Reply 17
<-- OP
Reply 18
The logical choice would be to have another one of the most powerful pieces on the board ...
Reply 19
Bro, it's a board-game. They're just names for pieces, not literal representations of family life. Otherwise, yeah...goddam over representation of bishops and wtf is a rook doing there? ******* discrimination against sparrows and eagles.

Latest

Trending

Trending