The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Tomtomtom910
Don't forget either, without the need for animals for food and raw materials they would cease to exist, some form of existence is arguably better than none, we rely upon them for food and they rely upon us for the chance of life.

They also rely upon us for the chance of a DECENT life. The abuse battery hens face is arguably crueller than if they were never born.
KFC is also mouth abuse. It's greasier than a tramps gooch in the summer time. First (and consequently the last) time I went KFC, I lifted up the chicken, ******* plate was two inches deep in oil. Disgusting :puke: Those chickens die in vain :sigh:
alicebytemperley
They also rely upon us for the chance of a DECENT life. The abuse battery hens face is arguably crueller than if they were never born.

That depends on the value you give life.
Nonsense. It is impossible for a vegan to get as much out of their diet as an ominivore with the same amount of consumption.
Meat substitutes are not capable of providing the same nutrition as meat. They have the wrong sorts of proteins, too many additives, and their structure is not good for digestion. No wonder quorn has always left me with stomach pains and bloating. :dry: The taste just doesn't compare, I'm afraid.

Livestock farming does cause ecological problems with current methods, but that's down to over-population and over-consumption. If we only farmed crops, then that would not even provide half the energy.
Liquidus Zeromus
Nonsense. It is impossible for a vegan to get as much out of their diet as an ominivore with the same amount of consumption.
Meat substitutes are not capable of providing the same nutrition as meat. They have the wrong sorts of proteins, too many additives, and their structure is not good for digestion. No wonder quorn has always left me with stomach pains and bloating. :dry: The taste just doesn't compare, I'm afraid.

Livestock farming does cause ecological problems with current methods, but that's down to over-population and over-consumption. If we only farmed crops, then that would not even provide half the energy.

A good diet requires some level of unsaturated fats, which comes from fish and some meats.
Yes it is poor welfare. People need to be made aware of it then let them decide. I think many people simply do not know about welfare at all. I buy factory farmed chicken (I assume so as I do not consciously buy free range) and have bought barn eggs before though I rarely eat eggs. I know these are not the best living standards and if wealthier would probably not go for them. But I recognise that to get the product at that price it is necessary.
KFC is probably only as bad as anywhere else, I rarely eat there so irrelevant tbh.
Those with the reactionary OM NOM KFC! piss me off to. Have you ever considered how bad the welfare is? Do you knowingly accept it or are you doing this to try and block out the fact that this is the case? It isn't necessary and you know it. We could get by on less but more expensive meat and still easily get the nutrition you are arguing for. You do not need meat with every/most meals.
Also would you kill something so you could eat it? People I know who are avid meat eaters are horrified when I say I would like to go on a shoot. It is the best welfare the animal can have, it has been totally free until shot. My view is if you are not willing to kill it don't eat it. People are far to detached from their food assuming in naturally arrives shrink wrapped.
Well, releasing farm animals into the wild is the final implication of what you are saying.

We can minimise suffering, not completely remove it... to the point where there is less suffering in the average farm animal's life than there is in the average human life.
Tomtomtom910
A good diet requires some level of unsaturated fats, which comes from fish and some meats.

Nice point, I forgot that :biggrin:
I'm undecided. But I think you should only eat meat from trusted sources or not at all - and kfc obviously comes not within miles near that.

Fundamentally I'm actually feeling less and less...comfortable? about it, and this summer (believe me, I've got a LONG to-do list after my exams) I'm actually going over everything I'm eat and part of that I'm going to look into avoiding meat. So it's funny this has come up.

But I'm not a "No one should eat meat*!" person; I'm just not fully comfortable with it myself anymore. Half because although I try with the sources etc you can never be 100% sure of the suffering, and half because I...well, as stupid as it sounds I keep thinking of the animals when I'm about to eat dinner. And I believe they're so underestimated, so much more intelligent than closeminded people give them credit for. And I just...don't want to do it personally. If it weren't for my fussiness (I live on about 5 meals, haha) I would've quit a long time ago. I admit I LOVE the taste but my 1st too points are overtaking that. I don't want something as shallow as "yum" to sway me in something involving animals. But yeah, in a couple of weeks.
I desperately wish the entire industry could have a "make over". Ie, if only we could change it so that the animals are treated in optimum conditions in every aspect and then killed as quickly as possible; it's tragic currently. But...I just can't see it happening. I don't think our species will make it long enough, tbh. I mean, if we've not entirely ruled out things like testing, and keeping them in those truly revolting certain parks etc yet...people just don't care.

If we didn't buy the crap-sources meat, they wouldn't treat the animals like it. :/

*depending on the source

edit: lol i just realised you said my eating personally. Sorry, excuse my babble!
They're ******* chickens. Their reason for being is to provide food to those further up the food chain either in the form of eggs or as meat. I quite frankly don't give a **** how they are treated because KFC Zinger BUrgers are just about the best thing this side of a threesome.

Shove your animal rights crap where the sun don't shine and I am off for a KFC.
farawayheartbeat
I'm undecided. But I think you should only eat meat from trusted sources or not at all - and kfc obviously comes not within miles near that.

Fundamentally I'm actually feeling less and less...comfortable? about it, and this summer (believe me, I've got a LONG to-do list after my exams) I'm actually going over everything I'm eat and part of that I'm going to look into avoiding meat. So it's funny this has come up.
But I'm not a "No one should eat meat*!" person; I'm just not fully comfortable with it myself anymore. I desperately wish the entire industry could have a "make over", though. Ie, if only we could change it so that the animals are treated in optimum conditions in every aspect and then killed as quickly as possible; it's tragic currently. But...I just can't see it happening. I don't think our species will make it long enough, tbh. I mean, if we've not entirely ruled out things like testing, and keeping them in those truly revolting certain parks etc yet...people just don't care.

If we didn't buy the ****** meat, they wouldn't treat the animals like it. :/

*depending on the source

Then pay more for the meat which does meet (lol) your welfare standards. There is free range and organic meat in every supermarket.
There is no excuse. Accept the welfare standards or don't buy it.
Apathy is not a good enough excuse.
I think you're missing the main point, which is that for many (most?) people who eat meat, they do so because they enjoy it and do not actually care about how it was made. Or, more accurately, they would rather be able to eat the meat through whatever methods were used, than not be able to eat the meat and have the animals treated as well as possible. Until it is possible to make perfect substitutes for meat at the same or lower prices, people will always want the real thing. In terms of 'value judgements', they value being able to eat the meat more than reducing the suffering of the animals involved.
No, they can't. Fruit and vegetables alone do not provide everything the human body needs.
Of course you need those supplements to fill in for the deficits of a vegetarian/vegan diet, and you're understating the fact.
It would be much more healthy and substaintial to eat real fish and meat to provide essential nutrients.
Not to mention that vegans also need to eat more to get the same energy. Veganism isn't very efficient, is it?
Liquidus Zeromus
No, they can't. Fruit and vegetables alone do not provide everything the human body needs.
Of course you need those supplements to fill in for the deficits of a vegetarian/vegan diet, and you're understating the fact.
It would be much more healthy and substaintial to eat real fish and meat to provide essential nutrients.
Not to mention that vegans also need to eat more to get the same energy. Veganism isn't very efficient, is it?

In terms of arable land needed to support a vegan vs meat eater vegan is much more efficient. That is all that really matters.

We also do not need the volume of meat we eat so this is somewhat fictitious. We do not need meat with every meal, every day.
Reply 94
alicebytemperley
I had my first and only KFC yesterday. I knew about battery hens and, even though we only eat free range at home, still ate this KFC, and I don't know why. It was disgusting: greasy, greyish, tasteless meat wrapped in flappy, greasy skin. I felt wrong eating it. Watching this video today has put me off KFC for life (not that I needed any more putting off after actually tasting it).

exactly, i cannot imagine anyone visiting KFC after watching the video of their inhuman behavior......how can anyone support them by buying from them?
Reply 95
Genocidal
It still baffles me how some people seem to care more about animals than they do about other people.

do not think this thread by any means implies i care more for animals than other human beings, but it does not harm to expose such inhumane corporations
Your hypocrisy is stunning. I'm missing the point where you did not throw in some condescending comment.

Vitamin B12, Vitamin D, Iron, and Omega-3 Fatty acids :fyi:

Otherwise you need to eat some very specific fortified vegetables to get a weak and barely sufficient concentration of minerals. (don't ask me which) You can't expect most people to religiously watch their diets like that, when a balanced omnivorous diet provides nutrients much more efficiently and much more deliciously.

Oh yeah, and this is likely the last time we will ever converse with each other.
It shouldn't, nor vice-versa.

We don't need to eat meat, we want to eat meat.

The idea, I guess, is that animals themselves don't prescribe to said morality, so why should we apply it to them? The obvious answer is 'because we can', and further 'because we want to', which interestingly is very similar to why we eat meat.
crazylemon
In terms of arable land needed to support a vegan vs meat eater vegan is much more efficient. That is all that really matters.

We also do not need the volume of meat we eat so this is somewhat fictitious. We do not need meat with every meal, every day.

This is surely not true, as more energy is required for a vegan to metabolise protein for their brain.

I agree that we don't need to eat meat all the time though.
I haven't seen the video but whenever I see the commercial with those idiots rubbing the chicken and making it in their "kitchen" I get so angry. How is that blatant lie even legal, what the hell?

Latest

Trending

Trending