The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I think most English people feel the same way. Not just TSR.
Reply 41
vnupe
Indeed the 'son' that has now overtaken and surpassed his 'father'... is that the cause of the animus?

Yes you have, by stealing oil from the middle east. But it won't be too long until you come back, you caused the global recession a couple years ago and nearly destroyed the global economy remember.
Reply 42
failingatm
lol.. it seems that Britain's high taxes were not enough to make people hate Britain more than the US. Somewhere in the game the US obvs went wrong if they are evidently hated more than the British.
I WONDER WHY.. maybe its because of the stupidity of most of the American public.

Yes, we have done wrong. A lot of it as most nations have, but I highly doubt the USA is hated because of the ignorance of American public as much as it is due to the policies and actions of the American government. At least that is what I have gathered from most conversations with non-Americans.
Reply 43
Perhaps the dynamics are a bit different in Britain, but as to why the rest of the world hates America there are two distinct reasons:

1) The country feels the need to get involved in absolutely every international disupte, even if it doesn't have anything to do with the US. I guess the boys in Washington think it's good fun to go gallavanting about the globe, sticking their noses in everyone else's business, but it irks people.

2) American hypocrisy. The land of the free pays far right military juntas to stay in power. Tieing back to point one, if you're an underpriviliged country you can only be "free" if you are a dictator that sides with American interests. Otherwise you're simply collateral meat.

As far as the British go, we tend to be pessimistic anyway, and perhaps we are a bit jealous that our island with its history is fading away into the EU and that we need the Americans to legitmate our indulgent military actions abroad, but it goes beyond that... as stated above.
Reply 44
WrigglyMammoth
My point exactly

fair enough I give you credit for admitting it :smile:
Reply 45
ballsack
If you think there could be no other explanation then anything i say will probably make no difference in convincing you otherwise.

Your closed-mindedness and arrogance is what incites hate. You won't accept this as a valid reason because you are closed-minded and arrogant.

I am not closed minded, but I like valid reasons, not just anecdotal jokey ones... debate usually intelligent not just emotional reasons, there must/should be a reason behind the emotion.. that is what I want to hear about... but I do admit to being slightly arrogant in my posts, so I will try to tone that down... my apologies for that.
It's hardly just a TSR thing...

aliluvschoc

I think most English people feel the same way. Not just TSR.

OOps just saw this, but this basically.

That said, the UK is among the places where Obama is the most highly regarded, just behind France and Germany if I remember correctly.

Oh and OP, I'd say that France is more hated in America than it is here, we're more equal rivals here than proper enemies which is how France seems to be viewed there. French fries to freedom fries? :lolwut:

And just the general ignorance. Lots of Americans aren't aware we speak English in England for example. Even bigger :lolwut:
Reply 47
Kreuzuerk
Americans always think they've got the nuts but they're really just the donkey at the table.

OK I am seeing a trend here, so its the perceived American arrogance... BTW how is Florida, enjoying the sunshine? Are you in Orlando or Miami/South Florida
Reply 48
britbrit
Yes, we have done wrong. A lot of it as most nations have, but I highly doubt the USA is hated because of the ignorance of American public as much as it is due to the policies and actions of the American government.

Yes you're right. But if you think about it... many of the British people don't really like the Americans.. and you have to think about how many Britons really give **** about American politics.. not many from what I know. And I think the ignorance of the American people does have a big impact on how we feel about them. Though I may be incorrect, I just feel that most of the people in the US have this close-minded view on the rest of the world. Many of them just pay attention to their own country and really have no clue when it comes the the rest of the world. This is just my opinion though. :smile:
Reply 49
britbrit
Yes, we have done wrong. A lot of it as most nations have, but I highly doubt the USA is hated because of the ignorance of American public as much as it is due to the policies and actions of the American government.

No, it is.

In the way that they don't believe they are ignorant, and vehemently deny that they are incorrect about anything. I despise that attitude, and it's actually not something I see to often from British people. Even the most intellectually challenged British chav might realise they might not have all the right answers to everything. But this is in the vast majority of Americans, and not so much in the British.

You could argue till you're blue in the face about the difference between 'Britain' and 'England' for example with an American, and if they personally don't know they difference, they won't accept that you are perhaps more knowledgeable and so call you all sorts of names.

In most cases I have come across anyway - this is purely my own opinion based on what they are like on the Internet.
Reply 50
ENNGUF
He's calling you a kettle. :giggle:

heheheh I am glad you got it, but actually I was calling him the pot, but nevertheless, it seems in his case the vaunted British wit and sarcasm is not universal...
Reply 51
Joker370
TSR is a UK website, therefore as a matter of pride in and support for our country we have to bang on about the yanks :wink:

This I can accept, thank you Joker370 :smile:
Reply 52
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/

kinda self-explanatory
Reply 53
vnupe
I am for the fourth time for my fourth degree... your point being?

Also to whom it may concern:

And I think I know who it is, to the mealy mouth spineless person that neg reps due to retribution for not having a valid argument, please crawl back under the rock from whence you came... Adults discuss, even argue points, but they do it in the light of day.

Childer snipe and backbite then scurry away without leaving their name... I suspect whoever negged me is of the latter... this is directed at you dannylj at least have the cojones to sign your name to the rep...

lol my point being? Exactly what my point said, go back to school, you clearly are wasting your time doing all these degrees as you're clearly thick as pish!!

And i can't be bothered arguing with you as you have already completely proved my original point, you're acting like the spoilt, arrogant, drunken delinquent that i mentioned, so well done for showing yourself up, and well done on the epic fail that you have achieved by not keeping calm like us brits, but instead getting all het up and going in for some blue on blue friendly fire action, which the whole world knows you're very good at.

Round of applause for little miss redneck please.
Reply 54
aliluvschoc

In most cases I have come across anyway - this is purely my own opinion based on what they are like on the Internet.

Same. From my trips to the US and from the people on the internet I have seen how Americans don't accept that they don't know everything and that they are wrong. I think they've created a world that is just them... most likely due to the huge size of their country, but they really don't pay attention to the rest of the world IMO.
Reply 55
Broderss
Yes you have, by stealing oil from the middle east. But it won't be too long until you come back, you caused the global recession a couple years ago and nearly destroyed the global economy remember.

I remember how US and UK corporations (e.g. multinationals) caused a global recession a couple of years ago... I also seem to recall a british bank called Northern Rock that went belly up, was that because of the US as well? No it was because of the British Credit crisis of 2008... so this generalization based on nothing but speculation has to stop... did the US cause the BofE to essentially bail out the British banks as well?
Reply 56
failingatm
Yes you're right. But if you think about it... many of the British people don't really like the Americans.. and you have to think about how many Britons really give **** about American politics.. not many from what I know. And I think the ignorance of the American people does have a big impact on how we feel about them. Though I may be incorrect, I just feel that most of the people in the US have this close-minded view on the rest of the world. Many of them just pay attention to their own country and really have no clue when it comes the the rest of the world. This is just my opinion though. :smile:

lol I can see that to be quite honest with you. Honestly it is quite crazy to but the reporting of the American media has alot to do with the American ignorance. Im not sure if you have ever watched American news compared to that of Canada or BBC but it is often like a mini drama or hollywood movie. Huge difference in reporting to be honest and a even bigger difference in the agenda behind the stories told. I do totally see how this could come off Americans only caring about their own country but honestly most Americans do care A LOT about other countries they just often (perhaps do to the lack of actual reporting) don't know the issues countries face. But that is just my opinion I clearly can't speak for all of American on this.
Reply 57
Pennder
Perhaps the dynamics are a bit different in Britain, but as to why the rest of the world hates America there are two distinct reasons:

1) The country feels the need to get involved in absolutely every international disupte, even if it doesn't have anything to do with the US. I guess the boys in Washington think it's good fun to go gallavanting about the globe, sticking their noses in everyone else's business, but it irks people.

2) American hypocrisy. The land of the free pays far right military juntas to stay in power. Tieing back to point one, if you're an underpriviliged country you can only be "free" if you are a dictator that sides with American interests. Otherwise you're simply collateral meat.

As far as the British go, we tend to be pessimistic anyway, and perhaps we are a bit jealous that our island with its history is fading away into the EU and that we need the Americans to legitmate our indulgent military actions abroad, but it goes beyond that... as stated above.

Again pot calling kettle at least partially, why did Britain on the surface appear to divest from South Africa, but British business, still propped up the SA government of the time... why? Because they were making obscene profits off the backs of poor people.

Another example, why did Thatcher's son's family have to flee an african nation while he was held and thrown in jail accused of trying to overthrow theie government? Was it because of his unabidding love for the 'rebels' of that country and its people or was it for personal gain and greed... so please please do not play the hypocrisy card, hypocrisy abounds in every nation...

Pessimism I can understand
Reply 58
aliluvschoc
No, it is.

In the way that they don't believe they are ignorant, and vehemently deny that they are incorrect about anything. I despise that attitude, and it's actually not something I see to often from British people. Even the most intellectually challenged British chav might realise they might not have all the right answers to everything. But this is in the vast majority of Americans, and not so much in the British.

You could argue till you're blue in the face about the difference between 'Britain' and 'England' for example with an American, and if they personally don't know they difference, they won't accept that you are perhaps more knowledgeable and so call you all sorts of names.

Oh, let me be the first to assure not all Americans are like that and their are tons like myself who not only criticize America but are also very open to non- American point of views on the world. To address your comment about most not knowing they are "ignorant" (I am assuming this is in regards to world issues) I would strongly suggest you view the standard American news reporting. It is VERY different to that of the UK, Canada or any other Western country to be honest. I do think some of the issues come from the lack of information or the reporting bias in the information/news most Americans receive. But that is just one of the factors.
Reply 59
britbrit
lol I can see that to be quite honest with you. Honestly it is quite crazy to but the reporting of the American media has alot to do with the American ignorance. Im not sure if you have ever watched American news compared to that of Canada or BBC but it is often like a mini drama or hollywood movie. Huge difference in reporting to be honest and a even bigger difference in the agenda behind the stories told. I do totally see how this could come off Americans only caring about their own country but honestly most Americans do care A LOT about other countries they just often (perhaps do to the lack of actual reporting) don't know the issues countries face. But that is just my opinion I clearly can't speak for all of American on this.

Yeah I can see where you're coming from.. I think the main point is that people have this fixed perception of Americans... But I sometimes think that many of the American people are sheltered from the reality of other countries, i.e. Ive seen how many of the American youths really don't have much knowledge on global issues because they are taught nearly always only about the US and that the US is always right, prolly due to pride of the nation. I think that this comes off as ignorance and stupidity but I have come across many shallow characters who make it hard to think that people are ever nice or even understanding over there, they all seem so fixated that the US is the best and only a few ever critisise themselves. this is from my experience obv.

Latest

Trending

Trending