The Student Room Group
Nicky_D
Hi, was just wondering if anyone is doing english lit at Sheffield? Im going to be living at The Forge, Sheaf Building :smile:

Hiya - I'm also studying English Lit & Sheffield! :smile: I'm really excited now! I'm gonna be living in Crescent Flats...

Have you bought your books for IALS?
Reply 2
Im gunna be at The Forge. I've bought fever pitch and those books but not the individual ones about prose and poetry etc. I might wait until i get down there to buy those. Have you bought any? Think it would be a good idea to buy different ones and then we could swap them maybe?
Nicky_D
Im gunna be at The Forge. I've bought fever pitch and those books but not the individual ones about prose and poetry etc. I might wait until i get down there to buy those. Have you bought any? Think it would be a good idea to buy different ones and then we could swap them maybe?

That's a good idea, actually. I have just ordered the core texts so far - waiting for them to be sent by Amazon!

What other modules are you going to take?
Reply 4
I'm thinking about doing the introduction to cinema module, how about u? Do you have any idea where St Georges church is ? It says that thats where the introductory meeting is but i dont have a clue where anything is in sheffield!
Reply 5
SophistiCat
That's a good idea, actually. I have just ordered the core texts so far - waiting for them to be sent by Amazon!

What other modules are you going to take?

What are the core texts??! im confused..im doing english lit and music and i got a letter from the english dept late last week and it said there should be a reading list but there wasn't :confused: so if anyone could tell me which books theyve got/are getting that would be a big help, cheers. Also has anyone done any prep reading this summer?? as leeds was originally my firm choice i was making my way through their reading list :frown:
Hope i won't be too behind when i arrive..
Reply 6
Hey. I got a letter with a list of the primary reading that we'd be doing:

COURSE BOOKS
H.Porter Abbott-The Cambridge Introduction To Narrative
Shira Wolosky-The Art of Poetry:h:ow To Read a Poem

POETRY
Poetry Pack-available on Introduction Day or at the Department Office- £3

DRAMA
John Ford-'Tis Pity She's a Whore
Tennessee Williams-Cat on a Hot Tin Roof

PROSE
Katherine Mansfield-Selected Stories
Nick Hornby-Fever Pitch
Edith Wharton-The House of Mirth

And there are lots of secondary reading books to buy but i think it would be a good idea to buy different ones and share them about. Maybe sort that out when we get there?

Hope that helps although im not sure if your list will be exactly the same or not?
Nicky_D
I'm thinking about doing the introduction to cinema module, how about u? Do you have any idea where St Georges church is ? It says that thats where the introductory meeting is but i dont have a clue where anything is in sheffield!

I'm also thinking of taking the intro to cinema module :smile: and also a sociology module (gender, sexuality & society) and either a beginners language or philosophy module. Didn't you get a map in your Welcome to Sheffield pack? I think St Georges Church is on that (can't check because I'm not at home - in an internet cafe...) I wouldn't worry though, there'll be loads of people hanging about to give directions, etc.

When are you arriving??
Reply 8
At least we'll know eachother then!
I did get a map i think?! think its lost between the piles of forms and letters that i have :s Im gunna be arriving next sunday, u? Im starting to get excited now but im frightened that everyone will be super clever!
Haha - I wouldn't worry about people being super clever - I'm not!! The fact that I haven't read a whole book for a year worries me!!! :redface: I've read about 300 magazines, though! Oh well, at least I read slightly more upmarket mags like Vogue, Marie Clare, etc and not Heat and Hello!

I'm arriving on the 16th - this Friday! Ah - so excited!! :biggrin:
Reply 10
Nicky_D
Hey. I got a letter with a list of the primary reading that we'd be doing:

COURSE BOOKS
H.Porter Abbott-The Cambridge Introduction To Narrative
Shira Wolosky-The Art of Poetry:h:ow To Read a Poem

POETRY
Poetry Pack-available on Introduction Day or at the Department Office- £3

DRAMA
John Ford-'Tis Pity She's a Whore
Tennessee Williams-Cat on a Hot Tin Roof

PROSE
Katherine Mansfield-Selected Stories
Nick Hornby-Fever Pitch
Edith Wharton-The House of Mirth

And there are lots of secondary reading books to buy but i think it would be a good idea to buy different ones and share them about. Maybe sort that out when we get there?

Hope that helps although im not sure if your list will be exactly the same or not?

Thanks a lot for that :smile: less worried now. what's on the secondary reading list?? or do we get that when we arrive..?
Reply 11
SophistiCat
Haha - I wouldn't worry about people being super clever - I'm not!! The fact that I haven't read a whole book for a year worries me!!! :redface: I've read about 300 magazines, though! Oh well, at least I read slightly more upmarket mags like Vogue, Marie Clare, etc and not Heat and Hello!

I'm arriving on the 16th - this Friday! Ah - so excited!! :biggrin:

Are you gonna read any of the books before you get down there? I haven't done any preparatory reading!
Reply 12
Rach_18
Thanks a lot for that :smile: less worried now. what's on the secondary reading list?? or do we get that when we arrive..?

Theres quite a lot of secondary reading books but im not sure whether to buy them when i get down there. I'll find the list though, its at my boyfriends house for some reason, so i'll post what they are as soon as i get it back ! :smile:
Nicky_D
Are you gonna read any of the books before you get down there? I haven't done any preparatory reading!

No, I haven't either... the thing is, we cover poetry in the first five weeks and we don't get the poetry pack till we're in Sheffield... so I'm not going to bother reading any of the drama/prose texts because we don't study them until late-October!!
i'm so glad you've all got the same work ethic as me:

"we can talk texts later, but now lets chillax"
*gets down*

then when i'm too tired to 'get down' i'll go to sleep.
um, and do some reading, you know, at some point.

Latest