The Student Room Group

Universities near London but NOT IN London?

Hey everyone =)

I started off wanting to go to university far away in another city, in order to experiance life outside of London - but recently I've changed my mind.

I probably don't want to go to Uni in London, I'd preferably like to move a little further away, but certainly not TOO far. Are there any good Unis you can think of?

I haven't decided on a course (just to make things easier..) and I don't really know what grades I'll achieve either (I'm hoping somewhere between 260-300)

My interests lie within Spanish, History, Journalism, Politics, Media, Photography, Communications etc..

I'm in Year 12 & studying --> Maths, Finance, History, Italian & Spanish.

Thankyou for any help/advice =)!!
(Ps, I've ordered between 20-30 prospectuses from the internet already! So please name all the Unis you're thinking of, incase I've not ordered that particular one!)

Scroll to see replies

...Reading
Rhul is about ~30m away from central London.
Reply 3
...Hertfordshire.
Reply 4
Kingston.
RHUL seems the obvious one.
Reply 6
What do you count as London? Just the central area? Or the outer boroughs too?

RHUL and QMUL are all outside central London, UEL and Greenwich are a bit nearer to London but still outside central London.
Reply 7
Reading, Oxford/oxford brookes, kent
Reply 8
Brunel is practically out of london... about 30 min on train and longer on bus...
Kingston.
Yeah RHUL is closer to London, but there's also University of Surrey (where i go :smile: ), there are regular trains to London Waterloo which takes 40mins, I don't drive but I find being driven there really long, but i guess this depends on whereabouts in London you're coming from...
Brunel, Surrey, Royal Holloway, Reading, Hertfordshire, Middlesex, Essex, Roehampton, Kingston, Brighton, Sussex, Kent, Oxford Brookes, Buckingham, Anglia Ruskin

I mean it depends on why you don't want to be in London. For example Brunel is, technically in London but around an hour to 45 minutes from the centre. You get more money from your loan to spend on accommodation. Brighton, conversely, if not really like London at all, especially Sussex U. which is out in the sticks a bit but it takes the same amount of time to get from the West End to Brighton as it does to get back to Brunel.

Cambridge, Oxford and Brighton are all cities outside of London by quite some way (70-100 miles) but with quick and easy transport links either by train or coach.

Guildford (Surrey U), Colchester (Essex U), Royal Holloway and Luton (Hertfordshire U) are closer to London and all have fairly good transport links to the capital, about an hour each.

Brunel, Roehampton, Kingston, Greenwich and Middlesex are all within London but far enough out of the city centre that you could probably go to University there the whole year without ever having to venture in for anything. Kingston and Uxbridge, for example, have huge shopping centres and tonnes of facilities.

I should say I got 260 UCAS points and ended up going to Brunel, whilst I didn't enjoy the course I thought the University and location were excellent. Fifteen minutes walk in one direction you're at a tube station, fifteen minutes in the other direction you're in the Buckinghamshire countryside. If you've got any questions about Brunel just drop me a line.

Good luck. :smile:
Reading, Kingston, Surrey or Kent?
surrey, kent, essex?
Reply 14
RHUL, Surrey, Reading, Sussex and Middlesex :smile:.
RHUL, Surrey (Guildford), Kingston.
Royal Holloway, Kingston, Surrey, Reading, Goldsmiths(?)
Reply 17
I'm never setting my foot in London ever again.

Moving out tomorrow :awesome:
portsmouth
Hertfordshire is 20mins away

Quick Reply