The Student Room Group

Universities near London but NOT IN London?

Scroll to see replies

Kingston is one, they call themselves "Kingston University London" but in reality, its not in bloody london haha, its closer to surrey if anything, but that being said its about 15 mins from waterloo, and from there you can take trains to whereever in london which doesnt take long at all, its what we did when we went clubbing in central haha.

Surrey is another, to an extent, as is Roehampton, Royal Holloway, Reading, Hertfordshire.
cactussed
What do you count as London? Just the central area? Or the outer boroughs too?

RHUL and QMUL are all outside central London, UEL and Greenwich are a bit nearer to London but still outside central London.

:curious: You can see The Gherkin from the uni campus. In no way, shape or form are we outside of London, and we're practically next door to the City of London.
SkySantosh
Kingston is one, they call themselves "Kingston University London" but in reality, its not in bloody london haha, its closer to surrey if anything, but that being said its about 15 mins from waterloo, and from there you can take trains to whereever in london which doesnt take long at all, its what we did when we went clubbing in central haha.

Surrey is another, to an extent, as is Roehampton, Royal Holloway, Reading, Hertfordshire.

More like half an hour from Waterloo (I went there last week), but yeah, my first thought was Kingston. It's in Surbiton, which as you can see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surbiton

is almost out of London. It doesn't feel very much like London anyway.
Thames Valley.
Reply 24
What's the point? You won't be in London (which is a good thing, obviously), but you'll still be paying loads because of it's proximity..
Bubbles*de*Milo
:curious: You can see The Gherkin from the uni campus. In no way, shape or form are we outside of London, and we're practically next door to the City of London.

QM is more in east London than central London. UCL and LSE are central London.

Besides, the Gherkin is a tower so you can see it from quite far around. You can even see it from Barkingside on a clear day.
Reply 26
is kingston a good place to study and live ?
Bubbles*de*Milo
More like half an hour from Waterloo (I went there last week), but yeah, my first thought was Kingston. It's in Surbiton, which as you can see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surbiton

is almost out of London. It doesn't feel very much like London anyway.

Lol its half an hour if you dont get the straight train, theres always a straight train that goes from surbiton - waterloo, and visa versa with no stops, which is literally 15 mins :smile:
Henry12
is kingston a good place to study and live ?

Well i like it lol, and as for living, its pretty much everything you'd want, a safe as hell area, close proximity to .. pretty much everything. Only thing i hate is the lack of alcohol past midnight meaning you gotta bus it to the 24 hr tesco or asda :frown:
Surrey, RHUL, Herts, Reading, Bedfordshire
Wozzie
Is in Ealing. :confused:

There is a campus in Slough and one in Reading :smile:
Wozzie
I thought i heard something about Slough being closed and Reading reverting back to a college or something.

I could be wrong ( really can't be bothered to research it) but i don't think i am.

Slough has not been closed to my knowledge and Reading hasn't either, there is already a college in Reading. So, to the best of my knowledge, you are wrong :p:
Wozzie
Yeah i was, kinda.

They're closing down all FE courses at Reading and Slough was due to be shut down for this term but they've put it off for some reason.

Seems you could be bothered to research it :p: , but yes indeed. :smile:
Reply 33
University of Greenwich Medway Campus.
Focus08
I'm never setting my foot in London ever again.

Moving out tomorrow :awesome:

But... but... London is beautiful!!
Reply 35
Sir_Vile_Minds
But... but... London is beautiful!!

Whatever you say... :top2:
Focus08
Whatever you say... :top2:

Don't you go be patronising with your silly little hat!! :holmes:
Reply 37
I'm wondering about Brunel, is it relatively peaceful? I don't want to be in central London either but realize that its good to be within reach for employment/practical reasons.
Thanks
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi 2060,

I just saw your post and thought that I would give you a bit of information about Brunel - as I'm sure you know, we're located in Uxbridge, which is in London zone 6 and on the end of both the Metropolitan and Piccadilly tube lines. It takes about 45 minutes to get into central London on the tube, and many of our students commute in for work and placements.

Being in Uxbridge means that its a bit less hectic than central London and Uxbridge has a nice town centre with two shopping centres, a multi screen cinema, and countless restaurants and pubs, but you can still hop on a tube and be in the heart of the West End for a show in no time at all.

We also have many links with companies in the City and around London for our placement students and for graduate roles, so there's a definite advantage there - but equally Uxbridge is home to the Headquarters of Coca Cola, Xerox and a few other large businesses so there are opportunities are right on your doorstep.

The atmosphere on the Brunel campus is really chilled, with a really diverse mixture of students from all walks of life - we have a bar and a club on campus, as well as various coffee outlets and restaurants, and there's a whole host of clubs and societies that students can join - from deaf culture to rock climbing and loads in between!

I hope this has given you a bit of an insight into what life is like at Brunel - if you fancy coming and checking it out for yourself you can book onto a weekday tour once term has started in September, or come to an Open Day - all the information is on our website here: www.brunel.ac.uk

If you have any more questions until then, feel free to ask :smile:

- Gemma
Can you help me in comparing a uni with uni of bedfordshire. And other uni should be competitively low and must be out of london as uni of bedfordshire is

Quick Reply

Latest