The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Thank you SimpleRush and BE2506 :gthumb:
Is anyone able to give 4 evaluation points for any of the following approaches/perspectives:

Social
Behavioural
Psychodynamic
Reply 42
shazada.pathan
Is anyone able to give 4 evaluation points for any of the following approaches/perspectives:

Social
Behavioural
Psychodynamic

- All three are somewhat reductionist.

Social
+ Can explain why people act in strange ways
+ Can explain why people don't always act in accordance with free-will
- Can be awkward to measure real social behaviour - lack of control
- Can often lack ecological validity

Behavioural
+ Provides simple explanation for how we learn
+ Can help provide treatment - useful
- Deterministic
- Cannot be objectively measures in many cases ( emotions)

Psychodynamic
+ Can explain 'odd' behaviour
+ Useful - can help develop treatments
- Deterministic
- Cannot measure the unconscious mind scientifically.
Reply 43
S_G
Does anybody know if we can carry out inferential tests for something other than exps and correlations- spearmans rank.......what abt self report and obs???

I think (hope) that for observations you can use chi squared (observed vs expected?) and for self reports (as long as there's two types of participants)you can use mann whitney u.
Because for self reports you can allocate a score to each participant. So like today I was doing a practice question about type of newspaper participants read and levels of fear of crime, so you'd add a point to their score for every answer that indicated that they had high levels of fear for crime or whatever. Which then fits the criteria for mann-whitney u.

That really better be right or else I am actually going to die tomorrow.

Re nomothetic/idiographic thank god for that.

Also for p<0.05 question I was told that you had to put what everyone else has said and then relate it back to your chosen hypothesis :smile:
Reply 44
thanks baby girl! :smile:
Reply 45
Does anyone think Social or Behaviourist might come up????
moltebene3
Does anyone think Social or Behaviourist might come up????

Really hope social comes up :biggrin:
Reply 47
same! really dont want behaivourist and psychodynamic to come up!,,,teacher said corrlations may come up for section A
Reply 48
Oh nooo :/ .. I just thought section A would be an experiment! ..
Reply 49
ox-caz-xo
Oh nooo :/ .. I just thought section A would be an experiment! ..

Regardless of what it is, observation, self-report or otherwise they all require the same things:

Sample, procedure, controls, ethics etc.
...I've just read this whole thread and got myself in a panic.

We were led to believe by my teacher that the exam would have either debates OR approaches/perspectives... but it seems it can be on anything - even ecological validity which isn't discussed in my textbook OR revision guide :confused:

*sigh* Too late now.

Good luck everyone!
ThatHatGirl
...I've just read this whole thread and got myself in a panic.

We were led to believe by my teacher that the exam would have either debates OR approaches/perspectives... but it seems it can be on anything - even ecological validity which isn't discussed in my textbook OR revision guide :confused:

*sigh* Too late now.

Good luck everyone!

Well ecological validity came up in january so I wouldn't worry about that coming up today :smile:
Reply 52
I've just read all this and again got myself in a big panic... is there any chance that instead of the approach being discuss the strengths and weaknesses for the 12 mark, it can be related to an issue? or is it just an approach???

also on section a, i think I'll be okay to write a procedure but its evaluating it afterwards... does anybody know the strengths weaknesses of the experiemental methods i.e. independent measures, repeated and matched pairs??
Can someone tell me which statistical tests we would use for each design??
If I remember correctly, mann whitney u is for independent mesaures, and willcoxon is for repeated measures, but I don't remember when we use T test or chi squared??
laurens_x
I've just read all this and again got myself in a big panic... is there any chance that instead of the approach being discuss the strengths and weaknesses for the 12 mark, it can be related to an issue? or is it just an approach???

also on section a, i think I'll be okay to write a procedure but its evaluating it afterwards... does anybody know the strengths weaknesses of the experiemental methods i.e. independent measures, repeated and matched pairs??

independent:
+ no order effects
- more participants needed
- individual differences

repeated:
+ less particpipants needed
- practice effects

matched pairs:
+ no individual differences
- hard/time consuming to match participants
Reply 55
Level of measurement Unrelated data (independent groups) Related data (repeated measures, matched pairs or correlation) Related data (correlational study)
Nominal Chi Square Sign Test Chi Square can be used as a test of association
Ordinal Mann-whitney U Wilcoxon signed ranks Spearman&#8217;s correlation coefficient
Reply 56
live.laugh.love
Can someone tell me which statistical tests we would use for each design??
If I remember correctly, mann whitney u is for independent mesaures, and willcoxon is for repeated measures, but I don't remember when we use T test or chi squared??

Nominal data:
Chi Square is unrelated data (indepentdant groups)
Sign test is related data (repeated measures, matched pairs, correlations)
can also use chi square for a correlation

Ordinal data: Mann Whitney U for unrealted data
Wilcoxon Signed Ranks for related data
Spearens Correlation coefficient

hope that helps, ps. treat interval data as ordinal :smile:
Reply 57
whats the difference between ordinal and nominal ..nominal used for labelling and ordinal :s-smilie:?
Reply 58
S_G
whats the difference between ordinal and nominal ..nominal used for labelling and ordinal :s-smilie:?

Nominal in categories, researchers count how many times an event/behaviour occurs. Each subject is put into one category or another. Eg. Tells us how many people behaved in one way of another, of 100 people test 60 were introverts and 40 were extroverts

Ordinal data placed in order or given a rank. Tells us who scored the highest (for eg) but not by how much. Eg. Rating scales, IQ/memory/personality tests

Interval data made up of a scale of units with equal intervals. Shows how much difference there is between first, second and third scores. Eg. Time in seconds, distance (if measured with ruler), temp, certain physiological measurements like adrenaline levels in urine.
Reply 59
how do you think it all went ?

Latest

Trending

Trending