The Student Room Group
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

Afro hair salons near Kent University?

Hello,

My friend and I are both going to Kent in September, she's black and we were discussing how she needs to come back and forth to London every 6-8 weeks. I think its ridiculous and told her I'd see if I could find an Afro hair salon near Kent University. Anyone know any? If they have websites even better but addresses are great too.

Thank you
Reply 1
i need a black barber as well..considering it's a city, there might be one or two, but they'll be bloody extortionate
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website
I actually found one the other day! Well I say I found one but basically I saw a bunch of black guys getting their hair done in there and drew some horrible, likely stereotyped conclusions. If it's true though I don't know whether they are actually any good but I remembered reading this post and thinking "ahh there's one!"

I can't remember what it was called but I do remember where it was...

Just went to look it up on Google street view and JUST where the shop is there's a MASSIVE van going past. From further down the street though it looks like a black barbers, don't think they do women's hair. You can see photos of men's haircuts in the window. Anyway it's up Northgate road at approximately number 58 it's on the corner where the road turns into St John's Place.

Just tried to Google the name of the place but they've not got a website. Hope I've helped at least somewhat for the men here!
Reply 3
thanks mate
(Y)
hopefully ur 'stereotypes' are useful to my ability to groom myself regularly
Why not go to the new Japanese hair salon that has opened? :giggle:
Reply 5
black hair is totally different to any other hair in the world
it's like going into a lingerie store lookin for football boots....
japanese, european, indian, latino hair are very similar to each other
Reply 6
Was thinking about this the other day, coming back all the way back to Newham just to get a haircut is not ideal at all lol
I am white but for some reason I have an afro exactly like a black person and have been using black salons for a few years. I had my hair in cane rows for a while and when I went to Kent I had to come home to get them re done as there is no black hair salons in the area. :frown:

Now I have had my hair relaxed so I dont have to deal with it.
Faustus Fotherby
I actually found one the other day! Well I say I found one but basically I saw a bunch of black guys getting their hair done in there and drew some horrible, likely stereotyped conclusions. If it's true though I don't know whether they are actually any good but I remembered reading this post and thinking "ahh there's one!"

I can't remember what it was called but I do remember where it was...

Just went to look it up on Google street view and JUST where the shop is there's a MASSIVE van going past. From further down the street though it looks like a black barbers, don't think they do women's hair. You can see photos of men's haircuts in the window. Anyway it's up Northgate road at approximately number 58 it's on the corner where the road turns into St John's Place.

Just tried to Google the name of the place but they've not got a website. Hope I've helped at least somewhat for the men here!

If this is the place I think it is then I'd say use it with extreme caution. My best friend's black and I went with her to get her hair relaxed...the guy left the relaxer on too long, despite her protests and telling him it was burning, and he burnt her scalp! I'm not just talking itchy here, either, she had oozing burns on her scalp and was in a lot of pain...it was a bit scary.

There used to another afro hairdresser a bit further down that road, but it never seemed to be open and now it's closed.

My flatmate, who was from the Bahamas, took a trip to London with a friend to get it done.

I would've thought there was an afro hairdresser somewhere in the area though. Have you tried looking online?
Reply 9
>Anna<
If this is the place I think it is then I'd say use it with extreme caution. My best friend's black and I went with her to get her hair relaxed...the guy left the relaxer on too long, despite her protests and telling him it was burning, and he burnt her scalp! I'm not just talking itchy here, either, she had oozing burns on her scalp and was in a lot of pain...it was a bit scary.

There used to another afro hairdresser a bit further down that road, but it never seemed to be open and now it's closed.

My flatmate, who was from the Bahamas, took a trip to London with a friend to get it done.

I would've thought there was an afro hairdresser somewhere in the area though. Have you tried looking online?

Yes, my friend and I have spent days on end searching. Its ridiculous that shes going to have to come back and forth just to get her hair done.
Reply 10
I know the guy who used to own Zebra Hair Salon in Northgate, he currently does a mobile hair dressing service now, alongside with delivery of Caribbean food. Inbox me and I can give you his contact number. He is currently taking new customers for the London and South-East (Canterbury, Medway towns etc).
Reply 11
Hi im going to medway in september to and have my hair braided in cornrows so definetly need to find a hair salon round dere otherwise ima have to come back to london every few weeks, so if anyone knows anywhere or anyone that can do cornrows round medway id appreciate it :biggrin:
I have a lot of African/Caribbean friends and most of them tend to just go back to London, tbh.
Reply 13
There is a good barbershop who does my hair, opposite the closed down 'oriental store' (I use it in brackets because I cannot remember the name but it's in the name). It's run by Asian guys and I've always been happy with what they do, my barber here in the Midlands is Asian as well and they're very good with black hair.

I'm afraid it's for guys only, sorry girls.
Reply 14
StormXibalba
I am white but for some reason I have an afro exactly like a black person and have been using black salons for a few years. I had my hair in cane rows for a while and when I went to Kent I had to come home to get them re done as there is no black hair salons in the area. :frown:

Now I have had my hair relaxed so I dont have to deal with it.

i need to find a good salon just to get my cut and coloured. im sure other salons can do your hair it its relaxed. if not u'll just have to get a a-z and get looking.
Reply 15
AfroNathan
There is a good barbershop who does my hair, opposite the closed down 'oriental store' (I use it in brackets because I cannot remember the name but it's in the name). It's run by Asian guys and I've always been happy with what they do, my barber here in the Midlands is Asian as well and they're very good with black hair.

I'm afraid it's for guys only, sorry girls.

name of shop?
Reply 16
Hi I was reading your response regarding hair. Does this guy know how to do a weave on? I'm tired of going to londond all the te to have my hair done. If so, how dono get his number? You will have done something really big for me. Thanks.
AS
Hey folks - there's a place called Visionary Unisex Salon, here's their facebook page, hope it helps :smile:

https://www.facebook.com/visionaryz101
Reply 18
Hey everyone! Hopefully this is of help to someone after 8 yrs! lool!There is an Afro Hair Salon in Rainham, Kent.Golden Essence Hair162 High St, RainhamME8 8AT
Original post by ssl9165
I know the guy who used to own Zebra Hair Salon in Northgate, he currently does a mobile hair dressing service now, alongside with delivery of Caribbean food. Inbox me and I can give you his contact number. He is currently taking new customers for the London and South-East (Canterbury, Medway towns etc).
Details plEAse 07814010691

Quick Reply

Latest