The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

</Tom>
Nice to see someone with half a brain on here.

i have a vested interest... if no-one is veggie i won't have to make veggie burgers at work
Reply 61
blinkbelle
:facepalm2:
I meant vegan.. I have some vegan friends who refuse to eat Marmite cause apparently yeast is a living thing!

wwhhhaaaaaaa? But yeast is in like...Everthing: fruit skin (like grapes, apricots) things like bread and alcohol of course, looooaaaaddds of stuff.

EDIT: Just read that they don't eat bread/alcohol. What about fruit and sauces/gravy/stock cubes with yeast in them? Here is a list http://www.allergy-details.com/yeast-allergy/foods-contain-yeast/

EDIT no.2: By sauces I mean ketchup, soy sauce etc.

EDIT no.3: and do they realise that yeast occurs naturally inside us?
Reply 62
thedaveimperium
wow a pro-veggie website has pro-veggie figures on it, just like an anti-veggie website would have anti-veggie figures.

show me an UNBIASED source and maybe i'll believe.

until then, i'll just continue to eat seal

Read my post from the first page-it shows that all those nutrients are ridiculously easy to get as a vegetarian. Source? Food standards agency. You also have to take into account the fact that a vegetarian is likely to be more aware of eating healthy, clean food that's good for the environment. I know I am. Not that I'll raise my children as vegetarian though, my boyfriend is an omnivore.
Reply 63
Ocassus
Well, actually it isn't xD. Not in the broadest sense of the word, because they are certainly not self aware of their surroundings and the bacteria you eat is not really killed but simply passed through your gut. Are your friends aware of the some 20,000 different bacteria inside them?

EDIT : I am considering vegetarianism, but as a swimming sprinter [I need to get alot of energy down quickly] and a regular trainer would a Veggie diet be able to supply my body with 'the goods'? I am not a health expert xD

Yep. Protein is for cell renewal. You don't need masses of it unless you're a body-builder. Energy comes from carbs-vegetarians don't have a restricted choice of carbs at all.
Reply 64
NDGAARONDI
It's impossible to eat from non-living beings. The best way would be to eat apples that have fallen off a tree.

Edit: They don't drink beer or eat bread do they?

Lol, apple skins have yeast in I believe
Lock them all up I say! In a prison made of sausages!
Whatever the source is, it has a VALID POINT. That without vitamins, and on a veggie diet, it's tantamount to child abuse.

The main problem isn't even that - what pisses me off is parents who force their unusual lifestyle choices down their kids throat. THAT is child abuse. Any vegetarian kid will go to school, realise everyone eats meat, feel jealous/hating of their parents/rebel anyway. I know, because my mum wouldn't give me crisps/sweets, I was so pissed off, now I binge every day (thoughthat may be for other reasons :p:, and I'm not blaming her because crisps are bad yes)
However, meat is GOOD for you, hence why we ate it & developed our brains from it - the only good argument to not eat meat is animal cruelty, but then buy it from a farm, where the animals basically live in the equivalent of the Ritz, and die instantly. No harm done.

If you're that intent, at least give your kids a choice - educate them on why meat is good, but the pros of a veggie diet. Then let them choose. But ffs, don't condemn your kids from birth because of some belief YOU have.
Reply 67
</Tom>
Facepalm irl.

"Tall and gets decent grades" =/= Healthy

Raising a child as vegan/vegetarian is child abuse,

Spoiler

What I meant was that she didn't have a growth problem nor does she have problems in mental development, therefore the article is bit ridiculous.
Marsha2112
Whatever the source is, it has a VALID POINT. That without vitamins, and on a veggie diet, it's tantamount to child abuse.

The main problem isn't even that - what pisses me off is parents who force their unusual lifestyle choices down their kids throat. THAT is child abuse. Any vegetarian kid will go to school, realise everyone eats meat, feel jealous/hating of their parents/rebel anyway. I know, because my mum wouldn't give me crisps/sweets, I was so pissed off, now I binge every day (thoughthat may be for other reasons :p:, and I'm not blaming her because crisps are bad yes)
However, meat is GOOD for you, hence why we ate it & developed our brains from it - the only good argument to not eat meat is animal cruelty, but then buy it from a farm, where the animals basically live in the equivalent of the Ritz, and die instantly. No harm done.

If you're that intent, at least give your kids a choice - educate them on why meat is good, but the pros of a veggie diet. Then let them choose. But ffs, don't condemn your kids from birth because of some belief YOU have.

My mum didn't let me have crisps or sweets and I'm not a binging crazy person - so I don't think that point applies.

Meat is not that great for you actually, there's allsorts of bad things in it that can cause various cancers and long term health problems.

How is being a veggie parent 'condemning' your children?! xx
blinkbelle
My mum didn't let me have crisps or sweets and I'm not a binging crazy person - so I don't think that point applies.

Meat is not that great for you actually, there's allsorts of bad things in it that can cause various cancers and long term health problems.

How is being a veggie parent 'condemning' your children?! xx

Children generally rebel against anything they weren't allowed to do, in my experience...
EVERYTHING can cause cancer nowadays (literally), watch Russell Howard's song thing - meat is the more natural way, our brains grew after we started eating it back in th' day. Of course red meat every day isn't good for you, but a variety of chicken, lean meat, red meat, fish etc is. The fact vegetarians have to take a bunch of vitamins to be healthy, shows a diet of just vegetables is clearly lacking something. People shouldn't be taking pills to get what they need, unless there's some allergy there...
And it's condemning children, in that they may try meat and really like it, wonder why they never got a chance to eat it, and whether their development has been affected - not all parents watch out for the vitamin thing. I'd be annoyed if I found out my parents had been keeping me away from something that's a major part of people's life, just because of some ideal they had. I'd also wonder "maybe I could have been taller, cleverer, etc if I didn't live off vegetables". Veggie parents could encourage their kids to their idea, via rational reasoning, but a harshline "my child will be veggie from birth" is ridiculous. Meat helps people develop.
~Hazzle*
What I meant was that she didn't have a growth problem nor does she have problems in mental development, therefore the article is bit ridiculous.

Wait, ONE of your friends grew up OK, therefore the whole article isn't true? Riiiight..
Reply 71

:laugh:

That's so full of BS it's funny.
Marsha2112

But holding the belief that eating meat is right and so feeding your kids it isn't letting them choose either. I have no problem with people bringing their kids up as meat eaters or veggies as long as the diets healthy. In the end kids will make their own decisions when they're old enough to think it through.

Personally i'm glad I was raised veggie. I think it's actually shaped my future and the way I see the world, with my interest in ethics and animals both stemming from it. So far i'm also perfectly healthly. I haven't been to the doctors or hospital for anything other than vaccinations and check ups since I was born - so much for dying in an iron deficient heap :smile:
Marsha2112
Children generally rebel against anything they weren't allowed to do,The fact vegetarians have to take a bunch of vitamins to be healthy, shows a diet of just vegetables is clearly lacking something. People shouldn't be taking pills to get what they need, unless there's some allergy there...

And it's condemning children, in that they may try meat and really like it, wonder why they never got a chance to eat it, and whether their development has been affected - not all parents watch out for the vitamin thing. I'd be annoyed if I found out my parents had been keeping me away from something that's a major part of people's life, just because of some ideal they had. I'd also wonder "maybe I could have been taller, cleverer, etc if I didn't live off vegetables". Veggie parents could encourage their kids to their idea, via rational reasoning, but a harshline "my child will be veggie from birth" is ridiculous. Meat helps people develop.

1. Source for your claim that veggies need to take supplements to have a rounded diet? Because it's BS!

2. Whereabouts did I say that my children will not be allowed the freedom to choose? Don't assume things about other people. I will be raising my children as vegetarians because I believe it is the healthiest thing, and I think most parents choose the healthiest path for their children to follow. When they're old enough to decide for themselves, I am perfectly happy to let them make their own life choices. I never said, or implied, any different.

3. I'm not sure you understand how prolific vegetarianism is in the modern world. Approx 1/3 people are veggies - so it's not like raising my children veggies would make them the social outcasts that you are painting them to be.
Reply 74
Marsha2112
Wait, ONE of your friends grew up OK, therefore the whole article isn't true? Riiiight..

Well it isn't. All those nutrients which are supposedly only available in meat/fish are actually readily avalable from many other sources

http://www.eatwell.gov.uk/healthydiet/nutritionessentials/vitaminsandminerals/

check yourself if you don't believe me. It's a terrible article.

EDIT: And the only 2 people I know who were brought up as vegetarians are both really intelligent and healthy, one of them is the best in the country for karate and is studying law at oxford. He's vegan now too. And my cousin is a vegetarian. She's 11. She swims/cycles all the time and is really healthy, as are their whole family. You have to remember that those who are vegetarian/vegan are more likely to be conscious bout eating clean, healthy food that's good for the environment. They are not likely to be feeding their children processed sweet crap.
No, just no.
Reply 76
Marsha2112

What campy said.

Plus you really shouldn't take supplements, my dietitian, who raises her child vegetarian I might add, told me this. Supplements aren't absorbed properly or something apparently.
~Hazzle*

Ok, your friend is apparently healthy, but that doesn't make the article ridiculous, there's definetly some truth in it.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18574603/

It's particularly risky to raise a baby on a vegan diet, which is, I believe, what OP is getting at.

Just as you wouldn't feed a baby McDonalds, you shouldn't feed them a vegan diet, malnourishment tends to ensue, unless this diet is carefully planned.

Even if it didn't result in malnourishment it's child abuse none-the-less. The forcing (Read: No choice of their OWN) of a belief system of any sort (Morality, religion and so on) upon a child is abuse.
Glittersprite
But holding the belief that eating meat is right and so feeding your kids it isn't letting them choose either. I have no problem with people bringing their kids up as meat eaters or veggies as long as the diets healthy. In the end kids will make their own decisions when they're old enough to think it through.

Personally i'm glad I was raised veggie. I think it's actually shaped my future and the way I see the world, with my interest in ethics and animals both stemming from it. So far i'm also perfectly healthly. I haven't been to the doctors or hospital for anything other than vaccinations and check ups since I was born - so much for dying in an iron deficient heap :smile:

Giving your kids meat + veg on a plate isn't forcing them anything. If they decide to ignore the meat because they really want to go vegetarian - fine. But if you serve them just veg, they can't conjure up meat. 1st way seems the most fair tbh.
Reply 79
</Tom>
Ok, your friend is apparently healthy, but that doesn't make the article ridiculous, there's definetly some truth in it.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18574603/

It's particularly risky to raise a baby on a vegan diet, which is, I believe, what OP is getting at.

Just as you wouldn't feed a baby McDonalds, you shouldn't feed them a vegan diet, malnourishment tends to ensue, unless this diet is carefully planned.

Even if it didn't result in malnourishment it's child abuse none-the-less. The forcing (Read: No choice of their OWN) of a belief system of any sort (Morality, religion and so on) upon a child is abuse.

Ever considered eating meat is a belief system? Plus I'm discussing this from a vegetarian perspective, not a vegan one.

Latest

Trending

Trending