The Student Room Group

A-Level Subject Combination/Advice

Hi there, I will be starting my A Levels soon and I want your opinion on the following subject combinations:

1. Economics/Mathematics/Accounts/Sociology
2. Economics/Mathematics/Accounts/Psychology
3. Economics/Mathematics/Accounts/Business Studies
4. Economics/Mathematics/Accounts/Law

The first 3 subjects are core subjects to be taken under business related studies in my college, so I really want to know whats your advice on what to take for the fourth. I will be persuing my degree later in economics in the UK (so I guess I have to consider traditional and non-traditional subjects too, no?)

Apart from the above, I also want your opinion on the A-Level (any of its subjects), and any tips or advice on keeping on the right track to getting an A*? :confused:

All comments are truly appreciated, thank you. :yep:
If I were you, I would pick either option 1, 2 or 4. Business Studies would be seen as too similar as you are already doing Economics. It is up to you really what you want to study as your 4th subject. I would recommend you study a subject which you will enjoy instead of worrying so much about whether universities are going to say. Good luck OP!
Reply 2
asiansentinel
If I were you, I would pick either option 1, 2 or 4. Business Studies would be seen as too similar as you are already doing Economics. It is up to you really what you want to study as your 4th subject. I would recommend you study a subject which you will enjoy instead of worrying so much about whether universities are going to say. Good luck OP!

Honestly, I'm looking forward to the choices 1/2/4 very much and that is why I need your opinion on weighing them out for me. I've heard that Business Studies and Sociology can be a bit boring, nevertheless Sociology is related to economics. I have so far been contemplating on Choice 2.
Unfortunately I have not studied any of those subjects as I am doing History, Philosophy, Government and Politics, Classics and Math. Sorry I cannot be of much more help. I would recommend that you should read up on the course syllabus and see if you like what is on offer. Good luck OP!
I do Psychology and I really enjoy it. However some unis do see it as a 'softer' option (although its reputation is improving!). I'd probably recommend Sociology to tie in with those other subjects - probably depends on the unis you're thinking of applying to, though.
Reply 5
I would say option 2 :smile:
if you are going to do those first 3 subjects i would get a strong subject in for the fourth.
accounts and economics have an overlap - so i hear from this forum - and you are hardly displaying any sort of range with those three subjects.
history; english lit; a language: things you should be looking at IMO.
DJ AgnieszkaA
if you are going to do those first 3 subjects i would get a strong subject in for the fourth.
history; english lit; a language: things you should be looking at IMO.

Exactly what I wanted to say. A science would be fine too if you like that kind of stuff or further maths if you're good at maths - it's appreciated for top Econ courses.
Mangaartist
Exactly what I wanted to say. A science would be fine too if you like that kind of stuff or further maths if you're good at maths - it's appreciated for top Econ courses.

I think the OP does not have a choice in the matter, which is why the OP posted those options.
Reply 9
Do number 4!
Reply 10
Onyx.
I would say option 2 :smile:

I concur.

I think that is an awesome combination and I would do it myself, but drop Psychology after AS.

Latest