The Student Room Group
Yeah it was a great exam, I did cost cutting and also the BP question on organisational culture!:yep:
Reply 2
I did the cost cutting question... Found it a gift!

The last section wasn't too great, I did question 5 about the competitor and strategy; talked about ansoff, porters generic strategy and 5 forces. It was okay :smile: did a full page of evaulation per essay!
Reply 3
Enjoyed Section A about the government intervention policies for the motor industry but I wasn't as pleased with Section B. I chose the question on culture but I can't help but think I strayed off on a bit of a slight tangent!

Fairly happy as the mock I did quite well on a few weeks back had a support question and a CEO one so I'm hoping that it went equally as well, I just don't feel as confident about it as that one went.
easy paper...just...i got too ahead myself and answered both questions on section A...when i realised that it said "Either 1 or " and then there wasn't much time left so i had to rush section B. Smh at me doing something so stupid..
Reply 5
Did question 1 and 3 - think it went well. My last exam is over now its time to enjoy summer :smile:
What did people write about for the government intervention question?
Did you focus on why/why not the car industry was deserving, or more general points on why government assistance should/shouldnt be given?

I kind of incorporated both
Reply 7
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1221145

this thread has got much more answers and posts about the exam
realityisabore
What did people write about for the government intervention question?
Did you focus on why/why not the car industry was deserving, or more general points on why government assistance should/shouldnt be given?

I kind of incorporated both

i thought the government intervnetion was a better question and the majority of people would of wrote the first question - hopefully the examiner will be happy that not everyone in school wrote on cost cutting. my main points were issues with unemployment and that the government could also persue the agenda of environment. as it referred to industry i wrote that many retailers were oversuscribed/also long-term unprofitable ie. Woolworths but also made the case for companys like M & S who have sufferec directly from reduced sales a recession brings. i dont know if that sounds right??? i then dicussed that the motor industry was too big to fall and discussed the banking industry.

i did the culture question also but not sure how this went i used BA and Ryanair contrasting the difficulties to try and change a reluctant workforce and how leadership may inspire and motivate. i did however suggest that quick change may be incorrect and that there needs to be a sense of two-way communication and involvement of the employees in the change of culture. not sure if this is right hope someone can tell me what they think?!?

i need an A what mark out of 80 would this be?
luckily its only 25 %!!!
hollystudent
i thought the government intervnetion was a better question and the majority of people would of wrote the first question - hopefully the examiner will be happy that not everyone in school wrote on cost cutting. my main points were issues with unemployment and that the government could also persue the agenda of environment. as it referred to industry i wrote that many retailers were oversuscribed/also long-term unprofitable ie. Woolworths but also made the case for companys like M & S who have sufferec directly from reduced sales a recession brings. i dont know if that sounds right??? i then dicussed that the motor industry was too big to fall and discussed the banking industry.

i did the culture question also but not sure how this went i used BA and Ryanair contrasting the difficulties to try and change a reluctant workforce and how leadership may inspire and motivate. i did however suggest that quick change may be incorrect and that there needs to be a sense of two-way communication and involvement of the employees in the change of culture. not sure if this is right hope someone can tell me what they think?!?

luckily its only 25 %!!!

i seem to have wrote pretty similar things to you in the government Q, but i also wrote about how loads of redindancies could adversely affect local communities like Nissan in Sunderland and Vauxhall in Ellesmere Port becuase theyre such huge employers.

I didnt do the culture Q so cant help much on that :smile:

From what iv seen A's are around 70%-80% of raw marks.
Reply 10
realityisabore
i seem to have wrote pretty similar things to you in the government Q, but i also wrote about how loads of redindancies could adversely affect local communities like Nissan in Sunderland and Vauxhall in Ellesmere Port becuase theyre such huge employers.

I didnt do the culture Q so cant help much on that :smile:

From what iv seen A's are around 70%-80% of raw marks.

what have you seen to make a suggestion like that when the grade boundaries for an A in January 2010 were about 55% of the raw marks?
vahik92
what have you seen to make a suggestion like that when the grade boundaries for an A in January 2010 were about 55% of the raw marks?

Jan 2010 for BUSS4? - I dont know anything about that.

Just from essays Iv had marked myself and from what people appear to have been saying on here.
Reply 12
realityisabore
Jan 2010 for BUSS4? - I dont know anything about that.

Just from essays Iv had marked myself and from what people appear to have been saying on here.

well, marking yourself does not mean you know the grade boundaries, nobody does until everyones' papers get marked, there is an official grade boundaries document on the AQA website, you can have a look at it, but to get 80 UMS which is an A you needed around 50% raw marks, and even if it does increase this time, it won't be anywhere near 70-80% in my and many people's opinion including teachers and some people that have been working as examiners before.
Reply 13
hollystudent

luckily its only 25 %!!!

Section A
For government intervention i mentioned that the moter industry had loads of employees and said that if they are unemployed it would cause more cost through - unemployment benefits... Then it would be to issue loans. Plus i mentioned the supply side policy and scrappage scheme, which sparked a little demand. Then went onto how the government preserved the motor industry as it supply over 100 countries.

Then i mentioned how the banks caused the whole recession, but said how the government was lienient with competition law allowing the Lloyds/HBOS takeover.

I then said, how the government predominantly helped large organisations and used theory phrases - like "a big business needs to remain a big business" etc. And how that influenced support.

Then went onto how the other industries were benefitted... through VAT/Interest rate reductions and quantitive easing and how that sparked further demand.

And in the stimulus was a quote from Richard Branson mentioned that and spoke about companies shouldn't rely on government intervention good management should have plans and continguency plans - another reason the government didn't help woolworths etc. And to conclude i finally went on a rant at why businesses shouldn't need government intervention, and the restrictions the government had EU Competition law, and finally commented that the expenditure of the government is ultimately the tax payers and there would be a large defecit which lead onto the election and scepticism in spending.

Whilst using these businesses. Argos, Woolworths, Poundland, Lidl, Aldi, Toyota
da da.

=====
Section B
I did culture, defined it etc. and mentioned that implementing new culture is difficult and time consuming and costly. Requires good employee-employer reltations, and showed the steps the ceo would need to take. Mentioning the multinational bases, and communication barriers - language, religion, time zones etc. How this all makes the process longer.

I then mentioned Stellios the ceo of Easyjet, and said how the aviation industry works in different countries, and how he successfully managed to implement culture. Which led to leadership styles. and the synergy between them.

The also said how the CEO of Corus steel, failed at culture, with an autocratic style and person culture which didn't match the industry. And outlined the consequences.

Then, commented on Richard Branson and virgin media, and how successful his laissezfaire style fitted with the entreprenuial culture. And how despite being an autocratic leader, Stuart Rose's task and role culture, fitted in Marks and Spencer.

Finally to conclude i reffered back to the question stating that it takes time, it isn't easy, but can be made easier by benchmarking other leaders, yet there will not be a difference in the time it takes. Effective planning, through Ansoff, and the Pest anaylsis the ceo of Bp can analyse the external factors, and fuse a synergy to complete his objective effectively without any distress.
Businesses used, Virgin Media, Easy Jet, Marks and Spencer, Corus, Cash4Gold, and BP.
da da.
Reply 14
I thought the exam was in the afternoon :/ got woken up at 9 and got there one minute before i wouldn't be allowed in! Thought it went okay though.
Leepish
Section A
For government intervention i mentioned that the moter industry had loads of employees and said that if they are unemployed it would cause more cost through - unemployment benefits... Then it would be to issue loans. Plus i mentioned the supply side policy and scrappage scheme, which sparked a little demand. Then went onto how the government preserved the motor industry as it supply over 100 countries.

Then i mentioned how the banks caused the whole recession, but said how the government was lienient with competition law allowing the Lloyds/HBOS takeover.

I then said, how the government predominantly helped large organisations and used theory phrases - like "a big business needs to remain a big business" etc. And how that influenced support.

Then went onto how the other industries were benefitted... through VAT/Interest rate reductions and quantitive easing and how that sparked further demand.

And in the stimulus was a quote from Richard Branson mentioned that and spoke about companies shouldn't rely on government intervention good management should have plans and continguency plans - another reason the government didn't help woolworths etc. And to conclude i finally went on a rant at why businesses shouldn't need government intervention, and the restrictions the government had EU Competition law, and finally commented that the expenditure of the government is ultimately the tax payers and there would be a large defecit which lead onto the election and scepticism in spending.

Whilst using these businesses. Argos, Woolworths, Poundland, Lidl, Aldi, Toyota
da da.

=====
Section B
I did culture, defined it etc. and mentioned that implementing new culture is difficult and time consuming and costly. Requires good employee-employer reltations, and showed the steps the ceo would need to take. Mentioning the multinational bases, and communication barriers - language, religion, time zones etc. How this all makes the process longer.

I then mentioned Stellios the ceo of Easyjet, and said how the aviation industry works in different countries, and how he successfully managed to implement culture. Which led to leadership styles. and the synergy between them.

The also said how the CEO of Corus steel, failed at culture, with an autocratic style and person culture which didn't match the industry. And outlined the consequences.

Then, commented on Richard Branson and virgin media, and how successful his laissezfaire style fitted with the entreprenuial culture. And how despite being an autocratic leader, Stuart Rose's task and role culture, fitted in Marks and Spencer.

Finally to conclude i reffered back to the question stating that it takes time, it isn't easy, but can be made easier by benchmarking other leaders, yet there will not be a difference in the time it takes. Effective planning, through Ansoff, and the Pest anaylsis the ceo of Bp can analyse the external factors, and fuse a synergy to complete his objective effectively without any distress.
Businesses used, Virgin Media, Easy Jet, Marks and Spencer, Corus, Cash4Gold, and BP.
da da.

thanks it looks like you went into more depth than me i just chose to really widen some big points. Section A pretty much matches yours but my section B was a bit of blagging on my part . i didn't really mention Handy's culture things as i couldn't fit them in. my knowledge and terminology would not of been that great marks wise but fingers crossed !!! i did not have the opportunity to put in lots of facts and figs but just slotted them in where relevant.....!
Reply 16
alreadytaken999
Yeah it was a great exam, I did cost cutting and also the BP question on organisational culture!:yep:

I did that one too, twas a good question and you could really use examples that hadnt use cost cutting and ones that had !!
Reply 17
vahik92
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1221145

this thread has got much more answers and posts about the exam

Its not quite relevant to post exam comments.
Reply 18
03haigh_t
Its not quite relevant to post exam comments.

in the last 10 pages every one is only talking about the exam and possible answers, did you just look at the first pages and that's why you now say it's not relevant?

Latest

Trending

Trending