The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Where are you applying to? And is it straight maths?

Work experience is mostly irrelevant for maths, you'd be better of reading some maths books (things like Fermat's Last Theorem), doing some off syllabus maths - what have you done so far? The UKMT resources are quite good for this, as is AOPS and Mathlinks. Also have a look at some STEP, depending on how much maths you have done so far.
Reply 2
Applying to Cambridge, Warwick, Durham, Bath and York.
Yes, straight maths.
I'm writing my personal statement at the moment and would like to say what mathematical I'm doing over the summer.
Reply 3
fredster2004
Applying to Cambridge, Warwick, Durham, Bath and York.
Yes, straight maths.
I'm writing my personal statement at the moment and would like to say what mathematical I'm doing over the summer.

Well what bit of maths are you interested in and what have you done so far off the syllabus?
Reply 4
miml
Well what bit of maths are you interested in and what have you done so far off the syllabus?

I attended morning maths classes. I have started to work on STEP questions. And I read (occasionally!)
Reply 5
miml
Where are you applying to? And is it straight maths?

Work experience is mostly irrelevant for maths, you'd be better of reading some maths books (things like Fermat's Last Theorem), doing some off syllabus maths - what have you done so far? The UKMT resources are quite good for this, as is AOPS and Mathlinks. Also have a look at some STEP, depending on how much maths you have done so far.

Everyone reads Fermat's Last Theorem :p:.
Also is learning topics of particular interest outside of the A Level syllabus considering as a good quality? Such as, in a way, university-level mathematical textbooks.
Reply 6
fredster2004
I attended morning maths classes. I have started to work on STEP questions. And I read (occasionally!)

Well, for example when I was doing maths I read this.

I also had a look at Volume 2 of the AOPS series, and some of the UKMT books.

Just pick a subject that you are interested in (there are loads of ideas on the AOPS site) and go from there. Buy a book, and do some maths on it.

EDIT: I don't know how much of this actually helped my application, but I definitely enjoyed it, and I've become a better mathematician I think..

Latest