The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
I fear tmrws STEP II will b crazily hard to balance it out :frown:
Killer_bees
Could anyone guess a mark for my attempt?

Q1 got two solutions for x,y but forgot to go back and get the other two.

Q2 was fine apart from the second graph where I missed off the stationary points (don't know how I managed that)

Q3 Got the first 3 'show thats'

Q4 instead of 2pi ln5/4 I got 2pi ln 5

Q6 was perfect

Q8 explained why a must be divisible by 3 but stopped there

What do you think?

mid 70s maybe? (around 15, 15, 10, 15, 20, 2 - probably harsh)
Reply 82
I think grade boundaries will be pretty much identical to last year (with possibly a very slightly higher boundary for a 1 and 2)

:crossedf: for an S
Reply 83
Someone answer my questions on bottom of page 4!!!!
Im stressing!
Reply 84
markioe
Someone answer my questions on bottom of page 4!!!!
Im stressing!

I can't say for 1,2,3 (I didn't do the last 2, and am not sure myself about the first)
4 - probably drop 2/3 marks for not getting it in the required form (I've put a solution on the first page)
5 - 3 marks for part i I'd guess
6 - 17-20 depending on if there were any arithmetic slips.
Reply 85
miml
I can't say for 1,2,3 (I didn't do the last 2, and am not sure myself about the first)
4 - probably drop 2/3 marks for not getting it in the required form (I've put a solution on the first page)
5 - 3 marks for part i I'd guess
6 - 17-20 depending on if there were any arithmetic slips.

ARGH i just checked ur solution to question 4, oh well, yeah hopefully they will only take a few marks off...

I hope i get my grade 2 anyway...

Thanks for uploading the paper btw
jammiebreadman
Does anyone know if getting Q1,4,6 out (I think) perfectly and then doing the expressions at the beginning of question 3 enough to get me my level 2 for Warwick?

More than likely yes unless the grade boundaries are really high like last year
Reply 87
Is there any definite solution yet for question 3? Seems like a few of us used the same method (tanx=tany therefore x= y +npi)
ny2ko
we allowed to do that?? I had no idea but really no way i'd take the paper home. would have night mares looking through it and seeing my errors!

I spent so long last night checking my answers using wolfram and autograph and calculating the best and worst case scenarios for what marks I could've got:o:
Reply 89
Would 70-80 suffice for a grade 1? (really happy if it does, I'm only in Year 11 and didn't revise at all aha)
markioe
Is there any definite solution yet for question 3? Seems like a few of us used the same method (tanx=tany therefore x= y +npi)

I just did it using cot, I assume everyone else had the cot thing then took the reciprocal?

Once I had r + s - p - q = 2npi I did: (there was probably some quicker way than this haha but any valid proof gets the marks :wink:)

r < 2pi and s < 2pi so r + s < 4pi
and p > 0 and q > 0 so p + q > 0
so -p - q < 0
so r + s - p - q < 4pi so n => 2 is impossible

also, r > q so r - q > 0
and s > p so s- p > 0
so r + s - q - p > 0 so n =< 0 is impossible

this means n= 1 therefore r + s - p - q = 2pi
Small123
Would 70-80 suffice for a grade 1? (really happy if it does, I'm only in Year 11 and didn't revise at all aha)

Almost definitely a 1
Reply 92
Small123

Easily...:yep: (Well last year the 1 boundary was 71, so maybe just about if it is in the lower end of the 70-80 range)
matt2k8
mid 70s maybe? (around 15, 15, 10, 15, 20, 2 - probably harsh)

Thanks for that, for question 3 I just meant the three trig identities did you mean 10 marks for just those?
matt2k8
More than likely yes unless the grade boundaries are really high like last year

What were the grade boundaries last year?
jammiebreadman

S: 95, 1: 71, 2:61, 3: 49 I think
Reply 96
jammiebreadman

Link (scroll to the bottom). Last year a 1 was 72 marks, so 70-80 should be a 1.
Reply 97
matt2k8
S: 95, 1: 71, 2:61, 3: 49 I think

S: 95, 1: 72, 2: 58, 3: 35 for ''09 STEP I
Right, here's my thoughts.
Q1, Didn't look too bad, but I left it to near the end and only managed the first factorisation.
Q2, Did the whole question. Was happy with my curves, would be interested if someone posted there curves to see if they were similar to mine. I reckon 15-20 marks.
Q3, I got to the stage where I had r+s-p-q=n(pi), but didn't have much justification of why n=2
Q4, Despite having to search a while for my error, I got the required solution. 20 marks.
Didn't attempt Q5, but I've just done it now and thought it was easy. Gutted I didn't try it in the exam.
Q6, I got y=Ax+Be^x+C, which is wrong, but close. I think I just said put C=0, to get the required result :s-smilie:
Saw Q7 was vectors and immediately discarded it.
Q8, did part (i) and then started (ii) but messed it up then gave up.

What do you guys reckon? With highish grade boundaries I reckon I'm on the 2/3 borderline :frown:.
Goldfishy
Link (scroll to the bottom). Last year a 1 was 72 marks, so 70-80 should be a 1.

Thank you sir!

Latest

Trending

Trending