The Student Room Group

i-kube car insurance

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
iKube pay well do they?
Reply 21
bourney
I wouldn't recommend it, for me the car was a symbol of freedom, no more restrictions with bus times or other people.

Being restricted again would just severely piss me off.

11pm is hardly restricting :yep: you can still drive during the "red hours", they just charge you. From personal experience, it's been great - I've been out once or twice after 11 in the car (sometimes I just leave it at home if I know I'm going to be out late), and they have no problem with that.
It's one thing slagging a scheme off by 'how it sounds', it's quite another matter actually trying it for yourself.
I think the original poster should take note from those who've used the scheme personally. :smile:
Reply 22
pwdrin
iKube pay well do they?

I'm just a happy customer who's trying to save people money. :smile:
Reply 23
Well it seems like you work for them. You have more or less tried selling it to us...
Reply 24
dr2012
Hmm...the timing wouldn't be an issue for me, so i'm not bothered about not driving between 11-5, but i guess it just sorta seems 'to good to be true' "/

Also, obviously they fit a tracker, which monitors you 24/7, what happens if you go over the speed limit? Do they charge you? Report you? :biggrin:

It's not really an issue for me either :smile: and I'm happy to make compromises if it means I'm saving loads of money. And I originally thought it seemed too good to be true, but it's as they state on the website really. Young Marmalade do the same sort of scheme, you could try them too.
And I don't think the tracker monitors you all the time, just comes on for 11pm. They don't charge or report you if you slip over the speed limit. As far as I'm aware, the tracker comes on at the 'red hours' and when you alert the police that the car's been stolen. I spent weeks/months looking for cheap car insurance - went through Go Compare, Confused etc etc, tried going direct, they were all too expensive. iKube (and Young Marmalade) offer the best for us young drivers in my opinion. Give it a go :smile:
Reply 25
pwdrin
Well it seems like you work for them. You have more or less tried selling it to us...

Like I said, I'm just more than happy with their scheme. I'm trying to highlight it because I'm trying to help save money, and the original poster asked about iKube - we're students after all, and the more money we can save, the better! Especially when we're trying to get on the insurance ladder.
Reply 26
Mini1
11pm is hardly restricting :yep: you can still drive during the "red hours", they just charge you. From personal experience, it's been great - I've been out once or twice after 11 in the car (sometimes I just leave it at home if I know I'm going to be out late), and they have no problem with that.
It's one thing slagging a scheme off by 'how it sounds', it's quite another matter actually trying it for yourself.
I think the original poster should take note from those who've used the scheme personally. :smile:

I had a job that finished at half ten, sometimes later, I'd be lucky to be home by 11. I wouldn't be able to justify being charged a high amount just so I can drive past 11.

"sometimes I just leave it at home if I know I'm going to be out late), and they have no problem with that"

Which completely goes against what i was saying about freedom from restrictions. Getting charged to drive past 11 is one thing, actively leaving the car at home because there's a chance that you might be on the road after 11 seems like a useless way to use a car. Why get the car in the first place if your not going to use it for fear of being punished.

Also I don't agree with the GPS tracker on there, I don't want them knowing where I have been and at what time. Same reason I don't register to Oyster Cards, I don't want some randomer who works for a faceless company be able to track me.
Ring them up and ask for a quote. For me, the quote was really close to the regular Quinn quote, so I chose that instead. If its radically lower take it :biggrin:
Reply 28
bourney
I had a job that finished at half ten, sometimes later, I'd be lucky to be home by 11. I wouldn't be able to justify being charged a high amount just so I can drive past 11.

"sometimes I just leave it at home if I know I'm going to be out late), and they have no problem with that"

Which completely goes against what i was saying about freedom from restrictions. Getting charged to drive past 11 is one thing, actively leaving the car at home because there's a chance that you might be on the road after 11 seems like a useless way to use a car. Why get the car in the first place if your not going to use it for fear of being punished.

Also I don't agree with the GPS tracker on there, I don't want them knowing where I have been and at what time. Same reason I don't register to Oyster Cards, I don't want some randomer who works for a faceless company be able to track me.

But you can justify paying £2000 more just because you want to take the car out after 11pm. And about the tracker - THEY DON'T KNOW!! :p: it only comes on after 11pm, so when you're driving around during the day, they're not sat there at a computer screen following your every move. As I said, it's a security feature that helps you get your car back it it's stolen! You'd be crackers not to see the benefits of a feature like that! Haha :smile:
Reply 29
Read the post above you, its says thres no change in cost!
acp11
This guy reckons his was installed in his glove-box. (video is on their website too) who knows... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IlAftrwJdo&feature=player_embedded#!

Haha love that video can see the obvious lie when he says 'Can't drive between 11pm and 5am but it's great for me because I'm in bed by then'
Reply 31
Mini1
To save money, that's how people consider it. You're saving bucketloads - £40 here and there doesn't compare to the excessive prices normal insurance companies pay. I've been out after 11pm before and they're completely fine about it, they just send a letter through reminding you that you've been out after 11. And the tracker only switches on after 11pm, so they're not tracking you through the day.

Well, I don't know what you were doing to end up with quotes of £3000+ on an Aygo, but that's beside the point...
The fact of the matter is, I wouldn't be happy paying £1100 to allow me to drive between the hours of 0500 and 2300, as that's just stupidly restrictive. And don't try and tell me that they're doing it 'for my safety'!

Finally, I think I'm perfectly entitled to knock it even though I haven't tried it; I pay £860 as a 17-year-old male on a 1.8 car, which doesn't limit me to driving at times when in actual fact, I do quite a lot of it: Taking my drums or guitars home from gigs, going on early-morning hoons, road trips etc.

Anyway, just my view.
Reply 32
Mini1
But you can justify paying £2000 more just because you want to take the car out after 11pm. And about the tracker - THEY DON'T KNOW!! :p: it only comes on after 11pm, so when you're driving around during the day, they're not sat there at a computer screen following your every move. As I said, it's a security feature that helps you get your car back it it's stolen! You'd be crackers not to see the benefits of a feature like that! Haha :smile:

Justify paying £2000 more?

My insurance on my first car, 1.2 P reg Corsa was £1250.

And I didn't have any restrictions.
Reply 33
Carbon Finger
Haha love that video can see the obvious lie when he says 'Can't drive between 11pm and 5am but it's great for me because I'm in bed by then'

Yeah I know! I doubt he's even an actual customer. If he is, you can tell that they told him what to say. :rolleyes:
Reply 34
benjy

how did you get a price like that :O where from what did you do what car i want that !!!!!!
Reply 35
Benjybh
Well, I don't know what you were doing to end up with quotes of £3000+ on an Aygo, but that's beside the point...
The fact of the matter is, I wouldn't be happy paying £1100 to allow me to drive between the hours of 0500 and 2300, as that's just stupidly restrictive. And don't try and tell me that they're doing it 'for my safety'!

Finally, I think I'm perfectly entitled to knock it even though I haven't tried it; I pay £860 as a 17-year-old male on a 1.8 car, which doesn't limit me to driving at times when in actual fact, I do quite a lot of it: Taking my drums or guitars home from gigs, going on early-morning hoons, road trips etc.

Anyway, just my view.

Going through comparison companies, that's how. You speak as if it's my fault. Aygo is a group 1 insurance car (and a brilliant little car too). For pete's sake, there are people on here who've been getting £3000 quotes on old Micras and Corsas, it's not exactly unusual! Not everyone gets the same quotes you know!

And between 11pm and 5am? That's not really that bad. It's not as if the whole world suddenly goes driving at night. You use a car mostly during the day, to get about and enjoy it! Sure, it'd be more convenient without the restriction, but if it's saving you so much cash, I reckon it's worth it. And not everyone goes out for "early-morning hoons".

And I personally don't know how you've managed to get an £800 quote on a 1.8 car. Are you down as the main driver? It depends where you live too. Not everyone's quotes are going to be the same. So think of yourself as lucky, it's more expensive than that for the majority.

And you know what they say - don't diss it if you haven't tried it. But of course, you've got cheap insurance anyway. So I don't know why you would try it, or why you're even replying on this thread lol. Original poster asked for advice from people who've used the scheme. That's what I've given them, as a customer who has actually used it :smile:
Reply 36
bourney
Justify paying £2000 more?

My insurance on my first car, 1.2 P reg Corsa was £1250.

And I didn't have any restrictions.

Good for you, but when was this? Insurance is coming in at closer to £2000-£3000 for a lot of people this year, with their own car, as the main driver. Perhaps it's different where you live, but not everyone gets the same quote.

And yes, "justify paying £2000 more". Quotes were coming in between £2500 to £3000. Don't ask me why, insurance companies!

People don't seem to have grasped this idea that not everyone gets the same sort of quote...
Reply 37
Thank you to whoever it is that gave me negative rep for this thread. How manly of you to do so without leaving your name. Have I offended you by voicing the fact that I need to drive a car outside the hours of 23:00 and 05:00?
Reply 38
Benjybh
Thank you to whoever it is that gave me negative rep for this thread. How manly of you to do so without leaving your name. Have I offended you by voicing the fact that I need to drive a car outside the hours of 23:00 and 05:00?

Clearly, I've had some too. :smile:
Reply 39
I've been getting quotes between £5000-8000, seriously wtf?!

Even i-kube are quoting me £2400!!!

What am I doing wrong, everyone else seems to have their insurance near £1000?

I have a Peugeot 206 BTW...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending