The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Theoretically, if I do/did well in all my physics modules, I can easily get one.
And if I got 97 in C4, there's another one.
And if I super-duper-pass my upcoming economics one, I can get one< probably the least likely.
And if my coursework was good, and my exam was good, I can get one in history.

So, theoretically, if I did well enough, I can get 4 A*s
I'd just be happy with A's [and maybe that A* in maths/physics]

My school's decided not to predict us A*s yet. :sigh:
Reply 61
None really, I might get one in English, but I'm just hoping for an A tbh.
Nope I'm happy with the AAB I've been predicted but I'm not really sure what will happen.

Bring on August:s-smilie:
Reply 63
I was in English however I think I just threw it away by not revising today :s-smilie:
Reply 64
Im an A* student in GCSE maths, and im wondering, how much does double maths scale up in difficulty ? Can a comfortable A* GCSE student get an A* in maths or further maths ? I would like to for university, and i would be willing to put so much work in :smile:
A* in general studies!!!!! HELL YEA!!!
Reply 66
Maths. :h:
Reply 67
Hey!

I think a better question to ask is...
Who is actually hoping for an A*?

EVERYONE IS! We all seem to be trying to get that top notch grade.

I reckon because of this new A* grade now the value of each other grade has gone down one. People now see getting an A* as the best top one, getting an A grade will have the value of 2nd Best - like it used to feel when getting a B. :rolleyes:

Do you know what I mean?

I am hoping to get an A* in Chemistry or Business Studies, I would be happy with at least one. Otherwise, I be over the moon to be even getting A's! :biggrin: :biggrin:
Reply 68
Hendy
I'm not expecting one by any means, but I'm hoping I may have done enough in C3/C4 to secure an A* in Maths. Fingers crossed. :crossedf:

:smile:

What he said :yep:
Reply 69
Tallon
A* is new this year so how could you have got an A* in maths last year?

"Cashing in" this year. I sent an email to Edexcel and they said if you're certifying this year then you're eligible for the A*.
Reply 70
I have the potential to get 3 A*s... I think after my exams so far I will probably get 1 :/
Jampolo
Im an A* student in GCSE maths, and im wondering, how much does double maths scale up in difficulty ? Can a comfortable A* GCSE student get an A* in maths or further maths ? I would like to for university, and i would be willing to put so much work in :smile:

GCSE Maths is a joke. Full stop. If you're good at maths as well as hard working then you'll reach the A grade standard but unless you have a remotely decent problem solving component to your brain, C3 and C4 will be more difficult due to the fact that the papers seem to be increasing in difficulty with more unusual stretching questions seeming to be coming up each time. Do not think for a moment that an A* in a GCSE subjects suggests that you'll get another in the A-Level equivalent, it doesn't work like that.
Reply 72
Farhan.Hanif93
GCSE Maths is a joke. Full stop. If you're good at maths as well as hard working then you'll reach the A grade standard but unless you have a remotely decent problem solving component to your brain, C3 and C4 will be more difficult due to the fact that the papers seem to be increasing in difficulty with more unusual stretching questions seeming to be coming up each time. Do not think for a moment that an A* in a GCSE subjects suggests that you'll get another in the A-Level equivalent, it doesn't work like that.

Oh ok, im just wondering how hard double maths is, as GCSE is very easy, and i have started to slowly self teach myself some of the A level or AS level topics, such as Differentiation, but thats all so far. Im willing to put the work in, i just want to know how hard it really is :/
Jampolo
Oh ok, im just wondering how hard double maths is, as GCSE is very easy, and i have started to slowly self teach myself some of the A level or AS level topics, such as Differentiation, but thats all so far. Im willing to put the work in, i just want to know how hard it really is :/

Differentiation is a C1 topic and most people who did well at GCSE tend to do well at C1 because it's basically the upper end of GCSE stuff and simple calculus i.e. differentiation. C2 is a bit more difficult but still fairly easy. Things get more interesting when you get to C3 and C4, the topics are more engaging and require a little bit more thought than previous modules. The papers in particular are becoming much more difficult than before so you need to watch out for that. It also totally depends how your college does the double maths. My college does the normal maths A-Level all in the AS year (year 12) and then does Further Maths A-Level over the next year. Obviously that means that you'll be covering things twice as fast as other people and will quickly find yourself with many maths exams for the end of the year. If you can distribute your time well and enjoy the subject (THIS IS IMPORTANT), then you can do well. By any means though, do not consider it easy or it will come back and bite you.
Reply 74
Farhan.Hanif93
Differentiation is a C1 topic and most people who did well at GCSE tend to do well at C1 because it's basically the upper end of GCSE stuff and simple calculus i.e. differentiation. C2 is a bit more difficult but still fairly easy. Things get more interesting when you get to C3 and C4, the topics are more engaging and require a little bit more thought than previous modules. The papers in particular are becoming much more difficult than before so you need to watch out for that. It also totally depends how your college does the double maths. My college does the normal maths A-Level all in the AS year (year 12) and then does Further Maths A-Level over the next year. Obviously that means that you'll be covering things twice as fast as other people and will quickly find yourself with many maths exams for the end of the year. If you can distribute your time well and enjoy the subject (THIS IS IMPORTANT), then you can do well. By any means though, do not consider it easy or it will come back and bite you.

I will not consider as easy, im one of those people who like a challenge. Thank you very much for your post, i have looked at parts of C1 and its alot of graphs work, surds and simple calculus. I can do simple differentiation, but nothing advanced. I have also looked at complex numbers and optimization, and hardly understand them at all, i just understand their functions. Im willing to put the work in :yep: because if i do not do well in maths then my future plans will be put on hold/cancelled, and i would like to do a maths OR economics degree at a top university.
Jampolo
I will not consider as easy, im one of those people who like a challenge. Thank you very much for your post, i have looked at parts of C1 and its alot of graphs work, surds and simple calculus. I can do simple differentiation, but nothing advanced. I have also looked at complex numbers and optimization, and hardly understand them at all, i just understand their functions. Im willing to put the work in :yep: because if i do not do well in maths then my future plans will be put on hold/cancelled, and i would like to do a maths OR economics degree at a top university.

No problem. Don't worry if you can't understand complex numbers yet because you're just a year 11 :smile:. A good indicator of whether or not you would be suitable for a top university maths course would be the fact that you found the A-Level easy. I'm hoping for something similar and I find the Maths A-Level incredibly easy... You may also want to look at some more interesting stuff which you can access with the A-Level content once you've covered it all i.e. STEP, AEA etc. You won't be able to do any of them now because you simply don't know the stuff so when you get to that stage you know what to do. You didn't mention that you wanted to do maths at a top uni so I assumed you were an ordinary Maths A-Level student and gave advice accordingly :p:, since you shouldn't be one, make sure you understand your stuff, if you're good enough it'll be easy.
good lord, everyone seems to be expecting loads...
i was hoping to get 1 - seems like all the top uni's will have people who can get the a*'s even if their offers are three a's. can the uni's see your marks overall for AS level cos you can't get A*'s at AS right? if they can then surely they will just give the offers to the people who are capable, judging by their AS levels, of getting the A*'s?
I was predicted straight A*'s, but after the French exam yesterday, I'm not holding out hope for that. So long as I meet my offer, I'll be over the moon. :smile:
Reply 78
As long as I get AAA including Geography I will be happy. And I have just finished!!! :-)
Based on how I think I did, I am thinking 1 A* quite likely, 2 or 3 possibly and a 4th probably not (Maths was hard).
I only need AAB, but I'm hoping to get at least 1 A* but just so I can be the first person to get an A*. It's actually just General Studies I'm expecting one in really! lmao Possibly English Language and German, but essay writin subjects are so unpredictable.

Not bothered really, as long as I get my grades.

Latest