The Student Room Group

Should we really call it 'free' healthcare?

Before I start I realise that the NHS do a great job, and our prices are so much lower for treatments than somewhere like the US, don't get me wrong I appreciate the service.

Now that being said I'll still get flamed but hey.

My problem is with us calling it 'free' healthcare, when that really only applies to the minority of people in the country when you think about it. I realise that the prices are lower here thanks to the NHS but should we really be calling it 'free' when let's face it, it isn't. Surely cheap healthcare would be a better name.

Yes I'm pedantic, deal with it.

Scroll to see replies

BillV3
Before I start I realise that the NHS do a great job, and our prices are so much lower for treatments than somewhere like the US, don't get me wrong I appreciate the service.

Now that being said I'll still get flamed but hey.

My problem is with us calling it 'free' healthcare, when that really only applies to the minority of people in the country when you think about it. I realise that the prices are lower here thanks to the NHS but should we really be calling it 'free' when let's face it, it isn't. Surely cheap healthcare would be a better name.

Yes I'm pedantic, deal with it.

It is free :confused:

The only thing you have to pay for is medicine which is heavily subsidised
loki276

Taxes!!!!!
Reply 3
Yellowmonkeyman
Taxes!!!!!

But it's better that than forking out all that money at once..
Sure we're still having to pay for it, but everyone is paying for everyone so it's far cheaper.
Reply 4
loki276

Read that back sound right? As I said I really appreciate the subsidisation and how cheap it is but don't think it should be called free when it isn't 100% free.
It's easier than being pedantically correct - and calling it 'subsidised but contributed to by national insurance payments healthcare'
BillV3
Read that back sound right? As I said I really appreciate the subsidisation and how cheap it is but don't think it should be called free when it isn't 100% free.

The healthcare is only said to free at the point of use i.e when going to GP etc
Reply 7
It's free at the point of delivery.
AzureMews
Sure we're still having to pay for it, but everyone is paying for everyone so it's far cheaper.

Not true.

Just think about it. Who spends money most efficiently? Only you can, with your own money. If I gave you someone else's money, you don't have the same incentive to get the best deal and therefore the best value. Therefore, the net effect is everything becomes more expensive.
Muffinz
It's free at the point of delivery.

"point of delivery" :confused:

It's not free at all.
AzureMews

Absolutely, I agree. Was just saying that it isn't really free :smile:.
Reply 11
Yellowmonkeyman

:woo:

When I clicked on this quote I thought it was going to be someone attacking me :lol:
Yellowmonkeyman

There are two problems here:

1) It's expensive. But it is only expensive because government has a monopoly on medicine.

2) You, presumably, have no problem with expecting other people in society to put their hands in their pockets and fund your visit to the doctor? I think this position lacks self-respect and dignity.
It is cheap healthcare. There are some people in the country who have never had to use the healthcare system before (minus when they were born, perhaps) and they're still paying tax for it, which I think it wrong... :dontknow: You still have to pay for medicine.

I am glad we have it though. Thanks to the NHS I am able to get a hearing aid "free of charge" (though not really, since I'm still paying tax etc) and for one as powerful as I need it would be a lot of money.
We don't do we? I thought we just called it free at the point of use?
Lord Hysteria

1) It's expensive. But it is only expensive because government has a monopoly on medicine.

2) You, presumably, have no problem with expecting other people in society to put their hands in their pockets and fund your visit to the doctor? I think this position lacks self-respect and dignity.

I and my parents pay taxes so we are effectively funding our own healthcare. My position does not lack anything.
Yeah, because cheap health care sounds like something valuable and worth having...
inksplodge
It is cheap healthcare. There are some people in the country who have never had to use the healthcare system before (minus when they were born, perhaps) and they're still paying tax for it, which I think it wrong... :dontknow: You still have to pay for medicine.

But it's there if they need to use it. It's like health insurance - you pay even if you don't need it because someday you might, and on that day you wouldn't be able to afford to pay upfront for the care you need.
Lord Hysteria

Public healthcare is more efficient as by covering everyone you are less likely to get ill therefore reducing costs as there is a decrease in number of illnesses
Yellowmonkeyman
I and my parents pay taxes so we are effectively funding our own healthcare. My position does not lack anything.

No. You're not.

If that was the position, then why not pay for it directly? I mean, since you're funding it via tax it wouldn't make a net difference either way ....

You expect someoneelse to spoon feed you.

Latest

Trending

Trending