The Student Room Group
Reply 1
I reckon such cases are rare, they do happen every now and then though.
Yes. It happens a lot actually going by these forums.

If those AS levels aren't certified (?) you don't even put them down on the UCAS form. It's just predicted grades then. (except for Cambridge who have the SAQ)
Yes, I know people who have had offers a bit above their predicted grades.
Reply 4
Yes, I had a couple of offers which were a fair bit above my AS results. I think universities take your personal statement and references into it a fair bit. So although you might not fit into the typical grade boundaries that they might usually use, if they like you they may offer you a place with higher grades, as a sort of we would like you attending, but your going to have to work for it
Reply 5
Yes if you have applied to a uni with higher required grades than you are predicted and they still want you it's likely you'll get a higher offer.
Reply 6
jayryan13
Yes, I had a couple of offers which were a fair bit above my AS results. I think universities take your personal statement and references into it a fair bit. So although you might not fit into the typical grade boundaries that they might usually use, if they like you they may offer you a place with higher grades, as a sort of we would like you attending, but your going to have to work for it

How much is 'a fair bit'?

I'm applying to Exeter (AAB required) but I think I may get ABC, ACC at the worst. (I did nothing last year...)

Can I convince them that I am extremely interested in the subject (which I am) and prove that I will work hard to get my grades up, or is it not really about that?
Reply 7
It will depend on high a demand the course is if it is very high demand they most likely expect people to get the required grades, this isnt to say you cant get in if you dont get them that may come down to some negoisation with the uni at the required time. I would apply but also apply to uni's that need lower grades to keep your options open.
Reply 8
Yes, particularly for law. I know loads of people with Cs and lower who have AAC-ABB to AAA offers
Reply 9
Blutarsky

I'm applying to Exeter (AAB required) but I think I may get ABC, ACC at the worst. (I did nothing last year...)

Can I convince them that I am extremely interested in the subject (which I am) and prove that I will work hard to get my grades up, or is it not really about that?

Depends on the course but I applied to an exeter course that wanted AAB, having got ACCCD at as and predicted ABC. I got an interview and after i got a BBB offer, but i think i was very lucky. (oh and imo opinion my personal statement was pretty epic):biggrin:
Reply 10
neutrino!
Depends on the course but I applied to an exeter course that wanted AAB, having got ACCCD at as and predicted ABC. I got an interview and after i got a BBB offer, but i think i was very lucky. (oh and imo opinion my personal statement was pretty epic):biggrin:

Oh wow, you've just improved my day! :biggrin:

I'm going to make mine epic too :wink:
Reply 11
Blutarsky
Oh wow, you've just improved my day! :biggrin:

I'm going to make mine epic too :wink:

Good luck:smile: what are you applying for btw?
Reply 12
neutrino!
Good luck:smile: what are you applying for btw?

Philosophy - It's AAB at Exter.

Went to the open day on Tuesday and I absolutely loved the campus and the city itself. Really want to go there now :smile:
Reply 13
Blutarsky

I myself got Cbbb at AS level, (big C cos I did a full maths a-level in the one year), but I applied for places with ABB offers, and received an offer from Lancaster for AA (strange offer I know!), and royal holloway for ABB. I did a decent PS and made it clear i was mega into the subject and it was what I wanted to do, so I guess it worked :smile:. My economics teacher at a-level did my reference for me so i guess that helped quite a bit, and I had work experience in an economics related field (I worked in a bank), so that helped to.

But yeah bottom line my grades were quite a bit below the offers they gave me so yeah you have a chance that they would do the same for you :smile:
Reply 14
I was predicted BBB for chemistry. Sussex offered me AAB. I ended up taking Bath as firm with BBB - got BBC but they still took me.
As far as I can tell, if you miss your offer by a bit they will take you (from my non oxbridge experience) for fear of getting worse through clearance.
A mate of mine got an offer a few days ago of 34 IB points for law at uea, even though he's only targeted 30 (a HEEEUGE!! difference in IB terms by the way people),

He's holding out for a Sheffield uni offer but they ask for 37, be very suprised if he gets that but you never know =).

Latest

Trending

Trending