The Student Room Group

Student finance

Hi,
I have recently applied for student finance for this upcoming september.
Everything seemed to be going fine untill i reached the stage of sending of evidence.
I unfortunatley no longer have my birth certificate and cant afford to replace it at the moment, also my passport has expired.
What evidence can i send off before the deadline?
:eek3: Im starting to worry that i wont get it done in time and therefore wont be able to pay my tuition fees.
Can any one please help? Thanks

Scroll to see replies

pear90
Hi,
I have recently applied for student finance for this upcoming september.
Everything seemed to be going fine untill i reached the stage of sending of evidence.
I unfortunatley no longer have my birth certificate and cant afford to replace it at the moment, also my passport has expired.
What evidence can i send off before the deadline?
:eek3: Im starting to worry that i wont get it done in time and therefore wont be able to pay my tuition fees.
Can any one please help? Thanks

You'll have to phone up and ask, I'm not sure, I imagine you'll have to get a new passport or birth certificate, sorry :frown:
If you rub your finger on pencil lead then make a fingerprint stamp on clean white paper you should be able to send that in as evidance.
Reply 3
Ring them up and ask??!

Why do people have no common sense? :sigh:
Reply 4
Firstly i have rang like a billion times, ive been put on hold for upto 3 hours at a time.
Secondly i do have common sense, this is my last resort.
Reply 5
I really cant afford a new passport or birth certificate at the moment either as i am currently unemployed, i dont live at home so dont get financial help.
Move back home then?
pear90
Firstly i have rang like a billion times, ive been put on hold for upto 3 hours at a time.
Secondly i do have common sense, this is my last resort.

3 hours?

That can't be true. The longest I've had to wait is 10 minutes
Reply 8
Not always an option unfortunatley. Plus if i had the chance to move back they dont help financially anyway.
Reply 9
Yes 3 hours :/ ive not tried again since last week. I just dont have the time to be waiting on the phone that long.
Reply 10
I checked it today and its down :P
OP you're a smidge screwed
im just about to start mine im screwed :facepalm2: do i have to send the evidence before the deadline or is it just the app?
Reply 12
It is rather annoying that the site is down today...

Anyway, to the OP, you need to pay for your passport/birth certificate to be replaced or you will never get anything. That you are unemployed doesn't really affect that fact, surely you can find the money to get one of these from somewhere? Do you have an overdraft?

I don't know about the cost for a birth certificate but a passport isnt too much to replace, and they say it takes 2 weeks or whatever, but it may well come much faster. Mine was in a couple of days with the standard service.

Also, it is possible that even if you miss the deadline it will still come through on time. Also about tuition fees, I think they may charge at the end of each term as opposed to the beginning, my uni does that I think. So this may not be a problem if the loan is a bit late.
Reply 13
Well its been the same every time ive rang.
Well no i cant even afford to get either of them. A new passport is £77.50 and a new birth certificate is £40.
I dont have any form of income at the moment, i dont even really talk to my family.
I dont get the support from them like i should.
I dont have an overdraft either unfortunatley.
I mean even if i get it sorted and its a little late im hoping everything should be ok.
pear90
Well no i cant even afford to get either of them. A new passport is £77.50 and a new birth certificate is £40.
I dont have any form of income at the moment, i dont even really talk to my family.
I mean even if i get it sorted and its a little late im hoping everything should be ok.

Sorry to hear about your situation, but the main thing to do is REMAIN CALM.

Stay persistent with everything, you will get through at some point.

You could get some advice from your Local Education Authority or a Citizens Advice Bureau, they should be able to point you in the direction some possible options.

Maybe you could get a cleaning job, they're always in supply - even just to earn enough to get the money for a new passport and birth certificate.

It might also help to TRY (maybe) and build bridges with your family from now, or at least find the ones whom you can at least talk to for support e.g. an aunt or uncle.

The good thing is that you WILL eventually get financial help, it's just that Student Finance are PANTS!

Even people who can afford it are having a tough time, possibly worse because they've had important up-to-date documents LOST! :eek:

So look at the brighter side (not that the misfortune of others should be in any way an encouragement, but at least it shows you that your not alone), keep trying and always try and THINK AHEAD in the future...a passport and birth certificate are very important...so when you do get them KEEP THEM SAFE - Make photocopies and give one to your LEA for the file they have on you.

Take care

top tip: get a job now, I myself am doing the same whilst I wait for my application to process, chances are you could send off for your passport and send it in and some people STILL wouldn't have been assessed TRUST ME. :yes:
Reply 15
There servers are probably crashing due to the amount of people applying for student finance on the last day of the deadline.

If I hadn't been so naive about all this then I would of started my application in January, but didn't realise i needed to start it until like April and im still waiting for my to be approved.
pear90

Then you aren't getting any finance.
Reply 17
Blessed&HighlyFavoured
Sorry to hear about your situation, but the main thing to do is REMAIN CALM.

Stay persistent with everything, you will get through at some point.

You could get some advice from your Local Education Authority or a Citizens Advice Bureau, they should be able to point you in the direction some possible options.

Maybe you could get a cleaning job, they're always in supply - even just to earn enough to get the money for a new passport and birth certificate.

It might also help to TRY (maybe) and build bridges with your family from now, or at least find the ones whom you can at least talk to for support e.g. an aunt or uncle.

The good thing is that you WILL eventually get financial help, it's just that Student Finance are PANTS!

Even people who can afford it are having a tough time, possibly worse because they've had important up-to-date documents LOST! :eek:

So look at the brighter side (not that the misfortune of others should be in any way an encouragement, but at least it shows you that your not alone), keep trying and always try and THINK AHEAD in the future...a passport and birth certificate are very important...so when you do get them KEEP THEM SAFE - Make photocopies and give one to your LEA for the file they have on you.

Take care

top tip: get a job now, I myself am doing the same whilst I wait for my application to process, chances are you could send off for your passport and send it in and some people STILL wouldn't have been assessed TRUST ME. :yes:

Well ive never really gotten along with my family they dont want to know me unfortunatley, im living with friends.
I have been trying to get a job for the past 6 months and because of my lack of experience no where will take me on.
My birth certificate was lost to a house fire :/ ive been trying to scrimp and save for a passport and im getting no where near close enough to be able to afford it.
I mean i dont see why they cant accept my old passport i had to send off my birth certificate and referees to get the passport surely that should be enough. I mean i have student cards and exam certificates, national insurance card i dont get why that wouldn't be sufficient.
Anyway thankyou, for your help. unlike a few of my responses its been a help.
pear90
Well ive never really gotten along with my family they dont want to know me unfortunatley, im living with friends.
I have been trying to get a job for the past 6 months and because of my lack of experience no where will take me on.
My birth certificate was lost to a house fire :/ ive been trying to scrimp and save for a passport and im getting no where near close enough to be able to afford it.
I mean i dont see why they cant accept my old passport i had to send off my birth certificate and referees to get the passport surely that should be enough. I mean i have student cards and exam certificates, national insurance card i dont get why that wouldn't be sufficient.
Anyway thankyou, for your help. unlike a few of my responses its been a help.

No problem, I just know how it feels - because I was in a similar position with my passport as well, only thing Is I had to pay a lot more than £77.50 because of my nationality! It was a long couple of months, but everything worked out.

Maybe you could defer going to university THIS year, which will give you time to get a job, save, sort out your documentation and come back fighting for next September.

Still, it's never too late to apply for finance, but they're VERY strict with identity of late so you'll have a tough time trying to use anything other than what they've asked for.

Your best bet is to find the money somehow e.g. borrow it from your friends until your loans come through, or like I said get a cleaning job.

Without any money to get your documents soon, chances are you won't get your loan in time for the start of term.

Just take a step back from the situation and think...can you defer until next year?

Good Luck!
Reply 19
Well not really no, the course is very limited with numbers and very inclusive and i was given an unconditional offer.
I guess il have to borrow money if i can :frown:
thanks

Latest

Trending

Trending