The Student Room Group

STEP II 2010 Discussion Thread

I have the paper but no scanner and I'm going out now anyway QQ.

Almost full solution to 2 (only the very last part not done), full solution to all of 4, full to all of 8, partial (=< 10 I think) to 5, first part of 3 and 6. Hopefully scrape a 1 but I don't really know :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I have a paper but I don't have a scanner :frown:
Reply 2
ziedj
I have the paper but no scanner and I'm going out now anyway QQ.

Almost full solution to 2 (only the very last part not done), full solution to all of 4, full to all of 8, partial (=< 10 I think) to 5, first part of 3 and 6. Hopefully a 1 but I don't really know :frown:

Do you have a half-decent camera on your phone? that would do it.
I cant remember which questions which, I did 8 too though - the wave.
jj193
Do you have a half-decent camera on your phone? that would do it.
I cant remember which questions which, I did 8 too though - the wave.

No USB cable :frown: I have no way of getting the paper online I'm afraid other than latexing the questions, which I really don't want to do :P
Basically my 2 4 and 8 were "good solutions" and I'm hoping the remaining marks I extract from 3 5 and 6 will sum to the equivalent of another "good solution" and so be in line with the 1 grade boundary, but it's not really clear how much I'll get for my efforts on 3/5/6.. if I got 6 marks on each then that's another "good solution", so that sounds attainable... but I'm still scared :frown:
Reply 5
Was there a vectors way of doing 6 (the one with the tetrahedron). I did it with pythagorus like a hundred times. I'm not sure whether I got the right answer for the last part.
All I know is Q4 was sexy :sexface: I loved that question :h:
Well, I very much loved that paper :biggrin: Having said that I did only manage 2 fill solutions, and kept getting I(α)-I(\alpha)...
My feeling is that it was a comparitively easy paper to compensate for what was apparantly a difficult STEP III so the 1 boundary might not favour my "3 and 3 bits makes 4" :frown:
Reply 9
ziedj
Basically my 2 4 and 8 were "good solutions" and I'm hoping the remaining marks I extract from 3 5 and 6 will sum to the equivalent of another "good solution" and so be in line with the 1 grade boundary, but it's not really clear how much I'll get for my efforts on 3/5/6.. if I got 6 marks on each then that's another "good solution", so that sounds attainable... but I'm still scared :frown:

2,4 were integration? Hmm, I did 2,4,8 too (my best solutions)
I also did 1 (quite well, except i got to sets of values at the end and just hashed one)

I did Q3 (I showed the first part, deduced xy=-1 and attempted to solve, getting golden ratio, and it's negative reciprocal. and some mess for a and b=-a) and i couldnt really evaluate F6, too messy. and for the sum I just algebraicly did a sum to infinity (didnt substitute in surds for lamba etc..) so basically ii) and iii) were done 'algebraicly'. Any ideas what that'd get?

Q7: I managed first part, managed to get a quadratic in u^3 but couldnt take this further. For iii) I showed that alpha^2-beta=0 or the other way therefore the given expression equals zero. Again, any ideas on what that'd get?
ziedj
All I know is Q4 was sexy :sexface: I loved that question :h:

It was such a total beaut!
Could you use geometric sum to infinity for 3 (iii)?
Reply 12
What did everyone think?
Beautiul :biggrin:

The integration questions were amazingly nice, and the roots of equations one (with p q and u) was amazingly amazing :biggrin:
Waaaaaay better that STEP III I had 6 full (ish) answers but only 3 and two partials for III. I think a load of those were really vague as well. I seriously think I might have got an S and a 3.
Reply 15
Avocadoade
Could you use geometric sum to infinity for 3 (iii)?

yes
Reply 16
Thought it went quite well (but not as well as I - which tbh was a gift)

Got 2, 4 and 7 out
Fair way through 3 and started 8. Reckon it's enough for a 2 and if I'm lucky a 1.
Reply 17
Hard for me. But then I made silly mistakes

I did:
Q1, 2, 4, 7, 8

Q1 I got a center and radius, but probably made an error.
Q2 I got up to proving useless's formula worked for cosalpha= -1/6 or something ( i didnt actually prove it)
Q4 I GOT TO THE VERY VERY END AND:
integral of 1/x = -1/x^2
It should have been log(4)/2 I think, but I differeintergrated
Q7. I did all of it but got some MONSTEROUS equation for x, but did the right method for last part.
Q8. I sketched and integrated (e^-x)sinx but couldnt get it into the right form. However I did find the sum (geometric series)

what do you reckon i will get?:frown:
Reply 18
I flop'd. After two hours I left, because I knew that I had not done adequate preparation and that I wouldn't get a good enough grade for it to count ... and I'd miss the England game otherwise :p:.
Question four I was immensely dense. I spotted (obviously) that 1/x was the right substitution, but then carried on trying to do the whole f(x) + f(a-x) shebang. Upon realising it was basically part (i) again I think I jizzed a little

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending