The Student Room Group

Who are England's biggest RIVALS?

1 being the greatest rival.

1. Argentina
2. Germany
3. Sweden (we either lose or draw to Sweden)
4. France

I can't think of any other.

Notice that I am not talking about 'how good' the others are, but rather, how they have been against England in the past.

Scroll to see replies

Germany by far. Apparently there were a couple wars of something?
Same with Argentina, plus the hand of God, but I'd say Germany are greater rivals than the Argies.
Reply 2
1 Germany
2 Argentina
3 France
4 Scotland
5 Australia
Reply 3
I'm gonna put my neck out here and say that with 45 wins, 24 draws and 41 losses, Scotland have quite the historical rivalry

(that's 45 england wins, not scotland wins)
Germany
1. Germany
2. Argentina

Noone else really matters.
Iraq.
Germany and Argentina obviously. In fact, IMHO, Germany Vs. England is possibly the greatest sporting rivalry of the modern era.
Reply 8
the media :ninja:
Aphotic Cosmos
Germany and Argentina obviously. In fact, IMHO, Germany Vs. England is possibly the greatest sporting rivalry of the modern era.

I heard that Germany actually consider the Netherlands to be their greatest rivals, and that an England match is just like any other game to them....
Reply 10
Germany

Don't need to say more than that. The parties in 1998 when it was England 4 - Germany 1 should be proof enough :smile:
1. Germany - we share some fairly poisonous history
2. Argentina - some history involving a war and the left hand of a cheat
3. France - just don't really like them and the feeling is mutual
4. Portugal - The wink and 2 knockouts via penalties
Reply 12
agolati
1 being the greatest rival.

1. Argentina
2. Germany
3. Sweden (we either lose or draw to Sweden)
4. France

I can't think of any other.

Notice that I am not talking about 'how good' the others are, but rather, how they have been against England in the past.

Colbert
1. Germany
2. Argentina

Erm.....a little team called Scotland? They are the historical rivals, and far more rivals than Sweden and France. They've generally held their own historically (not so much in recent years - although from what I remember the Euro 2000 play off was far from a rout)....

Meadows14
1 Germany
2 Argentina
3 France
4 Scotland
5 Australia

Colbert
1. Germany
2. Argentina

Aphotic Cosmos

England might think of Germany as their rivals, but I don't really think the Germans think of England as big rivals. Their real rivals are the Netherlands. England will come a distant second (if that!)

I don't even think Argentinians care all that much about England compared to some of their South American rivals and one or two other European teams. If they do, then that's down to politics more than football (yes, I am aware of the hand of God).
Reply 13
Spacecam

Don't need to say more than that. The parties in 1998 when it was England 4 - Germany 1 should be proof enough :smile:

I'm afriad that never happened to the best of my knowledge. It was 2001, and 5-1.

Again, means more to the English than Germans.
Reply 14
rich2606
I heard that Germany actually consider the Netherlands to be their greatest rivals, and that an England match is just like any other game to them....

Germany consider Holland their arch rivals. It should be telling that their is a England-Germany rivalry page on wikipedia in English but not in German.

This Article should be interesting: Dutch-German rivalry

The Dutch have even built a Museum to showcase their rivalry called the Voetbal Experience.
Germany and Scotland.

I agree with River85, though. I don't think the Germans actually consider the English as their main rivals.
I would have thought that for two teams to be proper rivals, they need to be almost equally as good as each other - Argentina and Germany are much better than England, they probably see England just like any other team, considering Holland and Brazil to be more worthy rivals. The problem with England is that they thing too much of themselves. If they beat a team, they consider that team to be beneath them. But if they get beaten by a team, they consider that team to be one of their rivals, when in reality, that team is far superior to England.

So on that basis, I would say that England's biggest rivals of late have been Croatia.
Reply 17
River85
I don't even think Argentinians care all that much about England compared to some of their South American rivals and one or two other European teams. If they do, then that's down to politics more than football (yes, I am aware of the hand of God).

They do care quite a bit, and pretty much all the rivalries have some element of politics as well as football - it doesn't lessen them.
Argentina, Germany and Scotland. :yes:

I'm also in the camp that the Germans aren't particularly bothered by the English when it comes to 'rivalry.' :erm:
Reply 19
with the way england's playing, any country can be a rival to england but to take it step by step... Germany

Quick Reply

Latest