The Student Room Group

Diagnosed with MS at 18

I was diagnosed with relapsing-remitting MS yesterday ,its a very traumatic thing for me as I know feel I will be labelled as a retard and quite possibly end up in a wheel chair. I have told my mum and sister not to tell anyone as i feel people will see me differently and its just the plain fear of labelling and the stigma to come with it. Te honest i kinda knew i had it even before i was diagnosed,so i dont know why it came as a shock to me. Anyone else been diagnosed at a young age, or know someone who has it? My main fear is it is going to affect my relationships, and my sex drive Im so worried Im only 18 i just dont know why all the bad things happen to me.

Scroll to see replies

I'm sorry to hear this, I can't even begin to imagine how difficult this must be for you. I do know people who have MS though. And have cared for people with it in the past (in the really bad stages of it). Firstly, I don't think you will be labelled as a retard. There is nothing 'retarded' about it! It can also sort of be kept under control. There are various drugs and things that can help when it gets worse. I know people with MS who have fairly normalish lives because they are on medication. So perhaps it can be the same for you? But now you have been diagnosed the doctors can work out the best thing for you.
Anonymous
I was diagnosed with relapsing-remitting MS yesterday ,its a very traumatic thing for me as I know feel I will be labelled as a retard and quite possibly end up in a wheel chair. I have told my mum and sister not to tell anyone as i feel people will see me differently and its just the plain fear of labelling and the stigma to come with it. Te honest i kinda knew i had it even before i was diagnosed,so i dont know why it came as a shock to me. Anyone else been diagnosed at a young age, or know someone who has it? My main fear is it is going to affect my relationships, and my sex drive Im so worried Im only 18 i just dont know why all the bad things happen to me.

Hey,

Sorry to hear about that. If it's any consolation I have a friend with MS who is around the same age as you, and except having to inject her interferon, is functioning perfectly and successfully.
Reply 3
Anonymous

My Uncle has had MS for thirteen years. He's very happily married to a loving wife and lives very comfortably. You have to remember thast medical advancements are massive, and there should be alot of treatments availible which can salow down the process of the disease. Just remember to go out and live your life and have fun and don't let yourself be consumed by it.
I'm very sorry to hear this OP. I work in the Mind Charity Shop, my manager's partner has MS and they are a perfectly happy couple; I am sure there is treatment to it which makes the patient have a normal life. Just think about those who have uncurable diseases which prevent them from even moving :frown:
Reply 5
I'm sorry to hear that :hugs: But I wouldn't get down about it. I know it's easy to say from an outsider's point of view, but it can't be changed, and it's something to get along with in life. I wouldn't fear people labelling you, or calling you a "retard" as you say; most people really aren't like that, and the ones who are genuinely like that, aren't worth bothering with :smile:
Reply 6
I'm sorry to hear this. Although MS will affect your life, it's important to remember that you can still live a full and happy one, and also remember that people's attitudes nowadays are alot more open. Most people are aware of MS, it's symptoms and nature, and wouldn't judge you at all for it. This website has a few stories of people diagnosed with MS at various points in their teens, hopefully it can encourage you into more positive thinking.
http://www.msrc.co.uk/index.cfm?fuseaction=show&pageid=1842&CFID=4321091&CFTOKEN=56226456

Also, it's good that you are letting your feelings out and telling people, it can really help to share a problem- always try to keep doing that, whether it's online, anonymously or to someone you know.

I wish you good luck with the process of coming to terms with/dealing with the diagnosis.
xxx
Reply 7
just wanted to say sorry about this it will be a shock at first but there is lots of support out there if you need it and theres no reason why you cant still be successful in life. If I were you Id try and find a role models to look up to maybe a celeb who has MS to help you to deal with it.

It might not be as bad but I was shocked at being diagnosed with nasal polyps, chronic nasal inflammation and rhinitis weeks ago I can hardly breath through my nose anymore even when im taking a spray everyday. The consultant doesnt know whats causing it and says i'l need to take the medicine indefinately it affects my quality of life all the time I guess most people will develop health problems in their life.
Woah, well that sucks. A lot. My sincere condolences.

kpwxx hit the nail on the head though.
Reply 9
was diagnosed with relapsing-remitting MS yesterday ,its a very traumatic thing for me as I know feel I will be labelled as a retard and quite possibly end up in a wheel chair. I have told my mum and sister not to tell anyone as i feel people will see me differently and its just the plain fear of labelling and the stigma to come with it. Te honest i kinda knew i had it even before i was diagnosed,so i dont know why it came as a shock to me. Anyone else been diagnosed at a young age, or know someone who has it? My main fear is it is going to affect my relationships, and my sex drive Im so worried Im only 18 i just dont know why all the bad things happen to me.

Don t know if this will help,but it might be worthwhile getting
The Healing Code by Dermot O’Connor (book),he had MS & wrote a book...
Here s his websitehttp://www.healing-code.com/about-healingcode.php
Hope that comes to some use.I wish you the very best of luck,
ps> I m not trying 2 sell the book or anything,my mum had it & said it was good,so I thought it could help.

Just remember that those who call u a retard,are the stupid 1s having 2 criticise some1 2 feel better about themselves,pathetic!
Reply 10
I'm really sorry to hear this and even more sorry that I can't offer any advice. I think you should check out the Disabled Students area for better advice I'm sure theres people facing the same problems as yourself in there.
kpwxx
I'm sorry to hear this. Although MS will affect your life, it's important to remember that you can still live a full and happy one, and also remember that people's attitudes nowadays are alot more open. Most people are aware of MS, it's symptoms and nature, and wouldn't judge you at all for it. This website has a few stories of people diagnosed with MS at various points in their teens, hopefully it can encourage you into more positive thinking.
http://www.msrc.co.uk/index.cfm?fuseaction=show&pageid=1842&CFID=4321091&CFTOKEN=56226456

Also, it's good that you are letting your feelings out and telling people, it can really help to share a problem- always try to keep doing that, whether it's online, anonymously or to someone you know.

I wish you good luck with the process of coming to terms with/dealing with the diagnosis.
xxx

Correct! My mother was diagnosed in her twenties. Shes 55 now, never needed sticks, let alone a chair. She sometimes gets a numbness in her left hand but thats all. Maybe shes just been lucky. The point is it doesnt have to make life hard. My mums had me and my brother with no trouble.

Be thankful for everyday.
That's really unfortunate :frown: my heart goes out to you, it really does.

My mum has it, and has had since before I was born, so I've lived with it somewhere very near me all my life, and am thus used to it. It is an absolutely horrible illness, but you won't be "labelled" badly by anyone if they are your true friends, and as people have said before, you can still live a full and happy life. I think it's important that you try to stay positive, and once again, I really feel for you. :smile:
My mum was only diagnosed with MS in 2000, but they told her she'd had it since she was 18. So that's like 25 years of her life she had it and it didn't affect her quality of life whatsoever. Nowadays the use of her legs is slowly declining but she takes medication and has a wheelchair for outside the house; she's still as stubborn as ever, goes out by herself, does whatever she wants really. I guess she just made a decision to not let it beat her and within time I'm sure you will make the same. Best of luck.
Anonymous

May I ask what is your gender??

I personally have had balance (balance gets worse in the heat, I cant stand with my eyes closed for more than about 30 seconds etc) problems, blurred vision, massive fatigue, muscular pains, numbness etc

I am a 20 year old man. I had a brain MRI in May 2010 with no results yet.

I dont know if I have MS but something is wrong with me, no doubt.
I am knowledgeable about MS.

Keep positive, relapsing remitting MS is certainly no life sentence thats for sure.

With regards to book, The Healing Code by Dermott Oconnor is just okay in my eyes, a bit airy fairy IMHO but worth reading anyway,

I have a few more important articles which would be essentail reading for you.

Hope to hear from you soon
Reply 15
bloomblaze
May I ask what is your gender??

I personally have had balance (balance gets worse in the heat, I cant stand with my eyes closed for more than about 30 seconds etc) problems, blurred vision, massive fatigue, muscular pains, numbness etc

I am a 20 year old man. I had a brain MRI in May 2010 with no results yet.

I dont know if I have MS but something is wrong with me, no doubt.
I am knowledgeable about MS.

Keep positive, relapsing remitting MS is certainly no life sentence thats for sure.

With regards to book, The Healing Code by Dermott Oconnor is just okay in my eyes, a bit airy fairy IMHO but worth reading anyway,

I have a few more important articles which would be essentail reading for you.

Hope to hear from you soon

I am female still at college finishing off my exams for this year. Thank you so much for your support and advise guys, it makes me feel some what better that even though you guys are complete strangers to me, have some sympathy for me and understand how hard it must be. I am trying to stay positive and getting on with my life and trying to do things this summer that i've always wanted to do.

Bloombaze your symptoms sound similar to mine, do you get tingling/burning feeling in any part of your body? How bad has your losso baance been? When it happened to me i knew something wasnt right, and then by vision was affected for a couple of days too this was my second attack. Have you had an EEG or lumbarpuncture too? Your MRI results will show if you need these procedures if lesions are presnt on your scan, I really hope they are not and all is well.
My worry is Im going to be starting uni in september and i wont be able to life the student life I wanted to, it also makes me think I wish I had applied at uni in my city and still be close to home incase I need my mum. Any advise for keep at good health and any things i should avoid/eating/drinking/ doing in particular?
Anonymous
I am female still at college finishing off my exams for this year. Thank you so much for your support and advise guys, it makes me feel some what better that even though you guys are complete strangers to me, have some sympathy for me and understand how hard it must be. I am trying to stay positive and getting on with my life and trying to do things this summer that i've always wanted to do.

Bloombaze your symptoms sound similar to mine, do you get tingling/burning feeling in any part of your body? How bad has your losso baance been? When it happened to me i knew something wasnt right, and then by vision was affected for a couple of days too this was my second attack. Have you had an EEG or lumbarpuncture too? Your MRI results will show if you need these procedures if lesions are presnt on your scan, I really hope they are not and all is well.
My worry is Im going to be starting uni in september and i wont be able to life the student life I wanted to, it also makes me think I wish I had applied at uni in my city and still be close to home incase I need my mum. Any advise for keep at good health and any things i should avoid/eating/drinking/ doing in particular?

My balance loss has been quite slight. I have never fallen, no one ever notices it. ''invisible symptoms''. One thing I just CANT DO is stand straight with my ankles touching, then close my eyes and remain standing for longer than about 20/30seconds. ( I sway then ultimately would fall.)
I have tingling/irritating pins and needles in my hands and feet.

My vision is a bit blurred but 2 opticians and one neurologist have looked at my eyes and said the optic nerves look healthy.
Please tell me,

how has your vision been affected?

Do you have balance issues? If so, how bad is it/please tell me about it.

I have only had examination by neurologist and MRI. No other tests have been done on me.

MS is way, way more common in women. I am a 20year old white man.
In the mid 20th century, MS was a disease thought of only to affect white women between the ages of 20 to 40. It has became more common in the past 30ish years in other races and even children

I am a 20 year old white man.
If you dont mind me asking, what race are you?

It can also take longer to be diagnosed in some people- one of the previous responses to this thread is a supporting example of this.

Feel free to PM me if you want to ask anything at any time.
Reply 17
bloomblaze
My balance loss has been quite slight. I have never fallen, no one ever notices it. ''invisible symptoms''. One thing I just CANT DO is stand straight with my ankles touching, then close my eyes and remain standing for longer than about 20/30seconds. ( I sway then ultimately would fall.)
I have tingling/irritating pins and needles in my hands and feet.

My vision is a bit blurred but 2 opticians and one neurologist have looked at my eyes and said the optic nerves look healthy.
Please tell me,

how has your vision been affected?.

I have had the same invisble falling symptoms that no one has noticed apart from myself, I had double vision for a couple of days where i could not see through both eyes clearly with out blurred vision, when I closed one eye then i could see clearly, but bare in mind this was my second attack.

I am a asian by the way, and have had no previous history of MS in my family. Are you at uni, if so how are you coping?
Anonymous
I have had the same invisble falling symptoms that no one has noticed apart from myself, I had double vision for a couple of days where i could not see through both eyes clearly with out blurred vision, when I closed one eye then i could see clearly, but bare in mind this was my second attack.

I am a asian by the way, and have had no previous history of MS in my family. Are you at uni, if so how are you coping?

im not at UNI, and please bear in mind that I have not been actually diagnosed with MS, I do have undiagnosed neurological symptoms though.

Just out of non MS curiousity, what are you going to be studying at uni??

MS is a mysterious disease, and drs dont agree with what its cause and nature is

ie some consider it to be an autoimmune disease, others consider it to be a vascular disease caused by blockages in blocked blood vessels in brain and spinal cord

BEFORE READING THE FOLLOWING, BEAR IN MIND IM NOT MEDICALLY QUALIFIED (im unsure what typical neurologists would say about the things im about to write,; experts disagree on things eg climate change etc MS is another perfect example of experts with completely different perspectives on something)

No proven correlation between diet and MS has been linked, although some people including myself beleive dietary fats play a huge role in its prognosis if not development also

* essential Reading: ''Dr Roy Laver ******'' ''The Multiple Sclerosis Diet book''
this was published around 1987 and documents a Montreal neurologists theory about saturated fat in the diet and MS.

* another piece of essential reading: "George Jelinek" "Overcoming Multiple Sclerosis"

George Jelinek is a professor of emergency medicine from Australia. He was diagnosed with MS in 1999. He claims to have stayed relapse free and symptom free until present, by following diet and lifestyle changes.

If George Jelinek isnt inspirational to people with MS, i dont know what is! He seems very sincere in his approach, as he has MS and also his mother had severe MS.

This is Georges website,
http://www.overcomingmultiplesclerosis.org/

again, very important reading for you I would imagine.

Its best you ask your neurologist for advice, while reading my links.

I will also tell you that there are plenty of scams etc alternative medicine etc giving bogus claims about MS, but what I have given you is some pretty respectable pieces of information to pursue.
Reply 19
bloomblaze
im not at UNI, and please bear in mind that I have not been actually diagnosed with MS, I do have undiagnosed neurological symptoms though.

Just out of non MS curiousity, what are you going to be studying at uni??

I am hoping to do a degree in English Literature. If your not at uni, are you studying, or have a full time job?

The links you gave me seem very helpful i will read the books soon too, thank you.

Latest