The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Maths [C1 C2 C3 C4 M1 S1] FMaths [FP1 FP2 D1 M2 S2 NM] Additional FMaths [S3 D2 FP3/M3(haven't decided)]
All of them except S3, S4 and D2. Fun times! :biggrin:
intellectual1
Which units did you study for Further Mathematics?
Which units did you find hardest and easiest?

C1 C2 C3 C4 and two from any combination from S1 M1, D1, S1, M1 D1, S1 S2, M1 M2 or D1 D2 is required for A-Level Mathematics.

Which units did you study for Further Mathematics?

FP1 and FP2?
FP1 and FP3?
FP1, FP2 and FP3?

Was Further Maths a huge step up in comparison with C3 and C4?

I will be studying FP1, FP2, and FP3. :yes:
jasbirsingh
I will be studying FP1, FP2, and FP3. :yes:

FP3 is rather challenging...does'nt this concern you?

Are you taking M2? D2? S3?
Reply 84
Havent done it yet, but doing/ will do FP1, FP2, D1, M1, M2, M3.
How is it that more people have done S2 than S1, and more people have done M2 or M3 than M1?
Reply 86
meatball893
How is it that more people have done S2 than S1, and more people have done M2 or M3 than M1?

I thought that too, I think it's people who think because they did it in the 2nd year it is the Further Maths module. I just put them all down :s-smilie:
intellectual1
FP3 is rather challenging...does'nt this concern you?

Are you taking M2? D2? S3?

Probably that's why I am excited. I will be doing FP1, FP2, FP3, M2, M3 and S2.

Which units will you be doing or have you done?
meatball893

Some people don't realise that the grades are worked out automatically, and think for example that their M1 and M2 marks will definitely be put towards maths, while their S1, S2, M3 and M4 marks will go towards further maths.

It looks as though most people in these circumstances believe that M1 and S1 will go towards maths, suggesting that quite a lot of schools are now offering these two units in normal maths to those who will also be taking further maths.
But then again, that's probably not that useful an inference :woo:
TomMcCarthy
Maths [C1 C2 C3 C4 M1 S1] FMaths [FP1 FP2 D1 M2 S2 NM] Additional FMaths [S3 D2 FP3/M3(haven't decided)]

Hai, just to say cool beans for doing further maths (additional).
But also that your three A Level grades (and AS's similarly) will be maximised, which will mean that your units will shuffle around to give you the best possible combination.
So, for example, you could end up with D1 and D2 in maths, and so on ~
Do you know about all of this stuff - and all the criteria for the A* grade?
placenta medicae talpae
Hai, just to say cool beans for doing further maths (additional).
But also that your three A Level grades (and AS's similarly) will be maximised, which will mean that your units will shuffle around to give you the best possible combination.
So, for example, you could end up with D1 and D2 in maths, and so on ~
Do you know about all of this stuff - and all the criteria for the A* grade?

Hi, thanks for the advice!
Yeah I have found that out thanks, I've just put them into those groups because that's what they are on my timetable. ^^ It makes getting an A* in further maths so much easier :biggrin: It's always nice to have 7 attempts to get 2 100%s, so I'll have to get significantly less in FP2, which is apparently the hardest.

Did you do Additional Further Maths? How did it go? And how did you study for it?
TomMcCarthy
Hi, thanks for the advice!
Yeah I have found that out thanks, I've just put them into those groups because that's what they are on my timetable. ^^ It makes getting an A* in further maths so much easier :biggrin: It's always nice to have 7 attempts to get 2 100%s, so I'll have to get significantly less in FP2, which is apparently the hardest.

Did you do Additional Further Maths? How did it go? And how did you study for it?

Woo, fair enough :woo:

I crammed everything - which worked so well for:
M1, M2, M3, M4, S1, D1, D2, DC, FP1, FP2, C1, C2, C3, C4
(but I'd advise against cramming for M3 unless you do physics since circular motion and SHM can take a bit to get your head around!)

Cramming was alright for:
FP3, S2, DE

Cramming really did not work at all for these though:
S3, S4

It's a high-risk strategy, but has got me over 90% in every module so far, apart from S3 which I got a D on.
It's like getting all or nothing!
And this time, with S4, I'm actually expecting a U, since I just had absolutely no idea what on earth the exam was asking for at least 2 of the 3 questions :s-smilie:

And yet, getting a D in S3 and a U in S4 doesn't matter that much - because of the way the grading works, I'm still likely (but by no means guaranteed) to end up with the 3 A* grades - but unfortunately it does mean that if I miss out on the A* in additional further, I will get downgraded to a B, rather than an A, so that's one to watch out for (since the issue is whether I'll end up with more than 480 UMS, rather than get the UMS required in the top 3 A2 modules).
There are lots of little quirks about the exam system like that.

Like most others on here who've done additional further, it pretty much seems as though I haven't done it - 18 exams might sound like a lot for one subject, you won't notice it and exams will just become second nature to you.
I actually suffered from withdrawal symptoms after the January exams :p: (joke)

As for whether FP2 is the hardest, it depends on which board, and there's a lot of subjectivity in that kind of thing obviously too so I guess you'll only really know which was hardest after you've done it!
I did OCR MEI, and found S4 the hardest because the textbook was so horrendously inaccessible, that FP3 was probably the hardest in terms of how much meaty maths was on the paper, and that DC was the most surprising exam, in that it was so much more abstract and harder than past papers, on most of which only 51/72 was needed for an A - how much lower will the boundary be this time! :woo:

Anyway, enjoy your mathematical journey and may the mathematical force be with you always :starwars:
placenta medicae talpae
Woo, fair enough :woo:

I crammed everything - which worked so well for:
M1, M2, M3, M4, S1, D1, D2, DC, FP1, FP2, C1, C2, C3, C4
(but I'd advise against cramming for M3 unless you do physics since circular motion and SHM can take a bit to get your head around!)

Cramming was alright for:
FP3, S2, DE

Cramming really did not work at all for these though:
S3, S4

It's a high-risk strategy, but has got me over 90% in every module so far, apart from S3 which I got a D on.
It's like getting all or nothing!
And this time, with S4, I'm actually expecting a U, since I just had absolutely no idea what on earth the exam was asking for at least 2 of the 3 questions :s-smilie:

And yet, getting a D in S3 and a U in S4 doesn't matter that much - because of the way the grading works, I'm still likely (but by no means guaranteed) to end up with the 3 A* grades - but unfortunately it does mean that if I miss out on the A* in additional further, I will get downgraded to a B, rather than an A, so that's one to watch out for (since the issue is whether I'll end up with more than 480 UMS, rather than get the UMS required in the top 3 A2 modules).
There are lots of little quirks about the exam system like that.

Like most others on here who've done additional further, it pretty much seems as though I haven't done it - 18 exams might sound like a lot for one subject, you won't notice it and exams will just become second nature to you.
I actually suffered from withdrawal symptoms after the January exams :p: (joke)

As for whether FP2 is the hardest, it depends on which board, and there's a lot of subjectivity in that kind of thing obviously too so I guess you'll only really know which was hardest after you've done it!
I did OCR MEI, and found S4 the hardest because the textbook was so horrendously inaccessible, that FP3 was probably the hardest in terms of how much meaty maths was on the paper, and that DC was the most surprising exam, in that it was so much more abstract and harder than past papers, on most of which only 51/72 was needed for an A - how much lower will the boundary be this time! :woo:

Anyway, enjoy your mathematical journey and may the mathematical force be with you always :starwars:

Thanks for the awesome response! Have some rep :biggrin:

In that case, I probably won't be doing S4 which I was considering doing, since I'm only learning from the the textbook.
It's just a choice between FP3 and M3 now, both of which will be challenging seeing as I haven't started M1, M2, C3, C4 and FP2 yet, and won't be starting FP2 and C4 until January.

I'll probably just cram past papers for D2, since I'm guessing that if it's anything like D1, all the questions will be the same for every paper.

Thanks again!
TomMcCarthy
Thanks for the awesome response! Have some rep :biggrin:

In that case, I probably won't be doing S4 which I was considering doing, since I'm only learning from the the textbook.
It's just a choice between FP3 and M3 now, both of which will be challenging seeing as I haven't started M1, M2, C3, C4 and FP2 yet, and won't be starting FP2 and C4 until January.

I'll probably just cram past papers for D2, since I'm guessing that if it's anything like D1, all the questions will be the same for every paper.

Thanks again!

Thanks! :biggrin:

It's probably worth letting you know that C4 is assumed knowledge for FP2, FP3 and M3, and FP2 is assumed knowledge for FP3 ...
But then again, I guess you'll be taking FP2 and FP3 at the same time? - so that one won't be an issue.

Yeah, D2 is ueber-crammable - so long as you walk into the exam room knowing the simplex algorithm, you'll be fine! :woo:

Oh, and by the way, I thought that cramming had worked for S3, but I came out with a D, so apparently not :p:
Thanks also to the person who just negged me ...

TWENTY-NINE positive reps in a row I'd built up, and now just look at that burning crimson.
Very sad indeed :cry:
How steep is the learning curve from Single Mathematics to Further Mathematics? Are you expected to devote twice as many hours to the exercises and past questions? hmmm

Latest

Trending

Trending