The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
I couldn't care less about what grades others get, I just make sure I study enough to get the highest possible grade :ahee:
Reply 61
I do care about how well I do but not in relation to my peers, if I did that then at college I would be top of the class with a B grade, but that won't get me where I want to be. It depends where you are studying but measuring yourself against your peers can lead to complacency or feeling constantly stupid!
At university everyone on your course will have the same or similar grades as you, but they may have had completely different experiences of education, bragging about your grades won't make you friends :P
I am competitive
I can guarantee that I have the best grades on this site.
Full marks in every one of those A*s
No, not at all.
Reply 64
Rimipie
i used to be competitive but then i stopped caring. whatever we're all gonna die one day

amen. :yep:
Not in the slightest. All I care about is my performance. If I do my personal best then who cares? If I under-perform then I'm annoyed.

All the intellectually competitive people at my school are complete douches. I want to punch each and every one of them for being such smart-arses.
I'm always really competitive, but I think it's a good thing because competition brings out the best in people. If you've got nobody to keep up with, you might end up a tad lazy someday...
Although I keep the competitiveness to myself; I don't like to be the annoying one who answers all the questions in class and look smug all year... I just look smug on results day instead :wink:
I'm implicitly competitive. I think almost everybody is competitive really to be honest, many just hide it and many make it known to everybody.

I use mine for determination but I don't feel unhappy if somebody does better than me.

Taking my ICT course for example, I know myself that I'm great at areas such as web design and most other software based areas, and I compete more on this with people as I want to know that I'm good at what I like doing.

Other areas such as hardware, however, I can safely say I'm not great on, as it doesn't truly interest me. Instead of being competitive with areas such as this, I just make sure I work hard and do my best.

Still, 'beating' other people academically isn't something you can put on your CV. I can't imagine the line 'I beat Jordan Kirby on this piece of work' would make much of a good impression :lol:
MisterAStar
I am competitive
I can guarantee that I have the best grades on this site.
Full marks in every one of those A*s

You are a liar.
Reply 69
Rimipie
omg you're one of them annoying people in my classes that i just want to punch.
this is how a conversation with you sort of people goes:
me - omg what did you get!!! i'm so happy i got 99%!!!!
them - oh...you got 99%?
me - yeah =D what did you get
them - i got 98%. i still don't understand, you got 99%?

then they proceed to go home and cry

i used to be competitive but then i stopped caring. whatever we're all gonna die one day

This ^ :yes:
69Crazyfists
You are a liar.

U mad because you can't get 100/100 in Pum Pum merking
I'm very competitive when it comes to competing against my close friends. I always want to make sure I do better than my friends in exams. I'm very thankful I have them otherwise I'd seriously struggle for motivation.
Reply 72
bittersweet16
Well, it's hard. A few years ago I attended a smaller school, so was able to compete more. There were two other girls with whom I would compete for better grades (I won, of course.) Then, when I went to a larger comprehensive school, I had to accept that lots were more intelligent than me - it was hard indeed.

You will manage :smile:

that has always been a bit demoralising for me. :confused:

anyway OP ive learnt to accept that...what now matters to me is if im living up to my expectations or not. Once you get that, you'll start being content with what you are.
Reply 73
Yeah I'm competitive.

I've never really understood the notion of 'Do your best' since I'm the sort of individual that feels they could have improved their marks had they worked more efficiently. Thus I use other people as a bench mark to see how I'm doing with myself. Whether I'm doing average, slightly above average or within the top 15% of the class.

Then I'd try and maintain that score to ensure that I'm doing my best.
Reply 74
The only person I compare myself with is my twin brother really. He has been beating me lately although I won at GCSEs :p:
Reply 75
Well I'm not particularly bright so there's no point in me being competitive. I just try my best and accept whatever grade I get.
It's more so about competing to meet my potential, which can be very high in the latter of GCSE subjects (apart from P.E. :ninja:). However, I only compete against some of the deemed 'clever ones' if I achieve a grade that's embarrassingly low. I try to stay in the top region academically, but i'm not uber competitive; it disgusts me when people are so academically orientated. However, if I achieve a grade that doesn't correspond to my ability then I go mental.
Don'twannagetcybermerked.
I'm extremely competitive :frown: and I can't stand it if I don't perform better than the majority of my peers in subjects. I always have to be one of the students at the top or at the same level as the top students. Not being so is alien to me and I get pretty down about it :o: When someone knows the answer to a question that I don't or if it's a topic I've never heard of, I go into panic mode.

I worry how this might affect me in uni, i'm going to study a course where the vast majority are probably as competitive and even smarter than I am.

How competitive are you and do you wish you could change it? Do you think being overly competitive can be detrimental with regards to your uni course? :smile:

I'm not that competetive academically... At all. I think it's because I do usually perform quite well without really trying/trying my best (XD) so I don't need to be.

I don't really understand why people are so competetive academically. If you're naturally clever, you'll do well. If you try/revise more often, you'll do well. If you get a crap mark in a test, so what? It's a little, mundane test that means nothing. Just try harder with the next test, or whatever.
It's not about other people being cleverer than you. You can still get the absolute top grades without embarking on the stupid mind games 'competitive' people like to play. Yes, I don't accept myself getting anything other than high grades, but that's competition within. There is no use in continually comparing yourselves with others, people are all unique they cannot continually be compared. Plus, I'm much more interested in focusing on my own game and getting on with my life & trying to excel rather than wasting valuable time and energy comparing with others. Infact, I find people who compete with each other, and compare results all the time incredibly small minded. The funny thing is, the majority seem to attend small town schools where they think they're the strongest in their little pond. But once you are immersed into the deep blue sea, you'll find matters are completely different and comparing will no longer get you anywhere.
I'd say I'm competitive, but very self-motivated too: I always think, if you're sitting in the same room as someone, listening to the same teacher ramble on, why am I not doing equally well? (That's only if someone beats me of course :p: )

But I'm not natuarally smart. I have to work very hard. It's a kind of competition with yourself - to beat even what you think you can do. Weird, I know.

Latest