The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Open University 120 Point "BA Open Degree" + Part Time College

I have been teaching myself/distance learning GCSE subjects for the past 2 years and have just finished my exams today. However I withdrew from my Maths exams as I am terrible at maths and really need to be taught it by a teacher in a classroom. I am signed up to do 3 Open University courses (AA100, L195 and L192) working towards a BA (Hons) Open Degree, "officially" starting this October and November - but I intend to start "unofficially" as soon as I get my big parcel of work in August!

My OU grant has been accepted and everything is fine BUT I know that if you are with a college or university the grant may get taken away from you. I want to take a Maths GCSE Intensive night course (one evening a week for 32 weeks) at my local college but would the OU see this as other further education and take my grant away or as it's only once a week would they be okay?

The Maths GCSE Intensive course isn't vital, the OU degree is my priority and comes first over all other education now, but taking the maths course would help to give me more of a chance in getting a job whilst I study for my degree.

I'm going to ring the OU up tomorrow about it but it would be helpful if anyone could give me some advice on it?
Reply 1
Hi,

I can't answer your original question I'm afraid, but how about considering another option.

Instead of doing a maths GCSE, why not do MU120 (now MU123 I think). That way, you would have a tutor and tutorials on hand, you could put those 30 points towards the free choice element of your degree at level 1 and save the time not needing to do a GCSE course.

With a little help from http://www.KhanAcademy.org, it should be fine. Was for me at least and I was terrible at maths. It's lost its teeth lately to be honest. It's just another subject now.

Good luck with your choices.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Latest

Trending

Trending